ADHD and copper toxicity

Daniil

The puzzle begins to take shape.

As I wrote in the thread,High salt intake caused metabolic acidosis, I assume that ADHD may be a simple dopamine deficiency.
As you can see from the diagram below, vitamin B6 is essential for the synthesis of dopamine.
Haidut previously published a study in which ADHD was successfully treated with B6.
[URL Unfurl = "true"] ADHD may be simply a vitamin B6 deficiency symptom [/ URL]

The diagram shows that iron is necessary for the conversion of phenylalanine to tyrosine, and then to l-dopa (I think if someone does not help L-dopa - the problem is a lack of B6).

This study showed the effectiveness of iron supplementation in ADHD.

Also from this diagram, we can see that dopamine is further converted to norepinephrine by copper and vitamin C. Based on this, I assume that an excess of copper in sensitive brain tissues can lead to a strong conversion of dopamine to norepinephrine and a deficiency of dopamine.

In this thread(Excess Copper), a formula for calculating free copper was previously published. I turned out to have 27, which is almost 2 times higher than the expected norm. Itis the excess of free copper that can accumulate in the tissues. I have also previously noticed brown spots from copper additives. I think it might be related.

It is known that estrogen causes the accumulation of copper in the tissues and vice versa.

This study found low levels of vitamin A and D in children with ADHD:

And in this topic, Haidut provided a study that links low vitamin D levels to high estrogen levels:

In this study, it was shown that vitamin A causes a strong increase in the synthesis of cerruloplasmin:

B12 levels are inversely proportional to the severity of ADHD symptoms:

B12 deficiency causes copper deficiency:
I think that B12 is necessary for the synthesis of cerruloplasmin and if you do not have enough b12 there will be little cerruloplasmin, but a lot of free copper that will be excreted in the urine/accumulate in the tissues, which will cause a deficiency. But there is little information on this topic, and here you may not believe me.

I also recommend taking into account the information from this thread. If there is hypothyroidism, it will cause a B12 deficiency, so treating hypothyroidism, if there is one, is probably one of the priorities.

Therefore, I believe that a set of different factors that reduce dopamine, such as iron/B6 deficiency, excess estrogen/free copper (due to low intake or retinol/B12 deficiency) collectively or individually causes ADHD. Hence, B6, A, B12 supplements and dietary restriction of copper seem to me to be potentially useful in the treatment of ADHD. Anything that inhibits aromatase and lowering estrogen levels, such as zinc or caffeine, can also be useful.

Attachments

• 28d7e7267c94650282cddf12c1a286e6.png
    28d7e7267c94650282cddf12c1a286e6.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
OP
D

Daniil

And copper supplements seem dangerous to me without additional Vitamin A, B12. The levels of copper in the blood depend not so much on free copper, but on cerruloplasmin, as can be seen from the formula. Therefore, vitamin A is probably more effective for boosting copper levels than copper supplements.

OP
D

Daniil

I think that the accumulation of copper in the tissues depends on the level of estrogen. That is, in a person with high estrogen, the excess copper consumed will be deposited in the tissues. At the same time, in a person with low estrogen, even if there is taking a lot of copper, it will simply come out in the urine and will not create problems. Thus, copper is a problem only for people with initially high estrogen.

Vinero

It seems a diet based on milk and meat would be the most helpful in this case. Milk and meat such as chicken, turkey and beef are low in copper and contain plenty of b12. Milk, butter and cheese have vitamin A.
Liver contains vitamin A but also has a ton of copper. So butter and high fat dairy are a safter vitamin A source.

OP
D

Daniil

It seems a diet based on milk and meat would be the most helpful in this case. Milk and meat such as chicken, turkey and beef are low in copper and contain plenty of b12. Milk, butter and cheese have vitamin A.
Liver contains vitamin A but also has a ton of copper. So butter and high fat dairy are a safter vitamin A source.
I know Ray doesn't eat liver often. I think it's not balanced for vitamin A. It does not contain much vitamin A(5000 IU), but it is very high in copper(about 10 mg per hundred grams, which is 10 daily norms).

OP
D

Daniil

But I think you're definitely right that it makes sense to talk about the balance of copper/vitamin A/B12 in food

OP
D

Daniil

Vinero

According to this Russian website, gelatin also contains a lot of copper (157%). Although I think it depends on the specific product.
I didn't know that gelatin is rich in copper. It seems you are right:
100 gram of gelatin contains around 2 mg of copper, which is 240% of the RDA.

This might explain why some people feel "wired" when they eat gelatin. I've also noticed this in the past, that I get some anxiety after eating gelatin. Even though gelatin is supposed to be calming because of the high glycine content.
(4) Why Would Gelatin Specifically Cause Me To Feel "wired"? | Ray Peat Forum

OP
D

Daniil

This study says that ACTH, progesterone, and aldosterone increase the synthesis of cerruloplasmin. Now I understand why I(and not only me) get worse after eating salt (reduced aldosterone - more free copper). @yerrag how do you like that explanation? The introduction of progesterone seems to be another harmless way to solve the problem.

Depression is low dopamine, but high ACTH. I think people have different compensatory mechanisms. Someone has increased ACTH and depression, someone has high histamine and ADHD(more on this The High Dopamine & Histamine Personality » MENELITE, in my opinion, the symptoms of ADHD are similar to those of high histamine). Apparently, anyone with an excess of estrogen will have problems with copper (to varying degrees depending on copper consumption, B12 status, etc.). And many people have problems with estrogen.

By the way, I've just been to the doctor. she referred me to an ophthalmologist. And she said that along with Wilson's syndrome, anemia often develops(with low red blood cells, platelets, etc). I think this is another argument that Wilson's syndrome may just be a symptom of B12 deficiency due to the inability to synthesize cerruloplasmin.

Attachments

• 0014-5793(71)80473-8.pdf
    196.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
OP
D

Daniil

I found another study. It is interesting because estrogen reduces the copper reserves in the liver. well, that complicates the theory. However, this confirms that an excess of estrogen causes copper to accumulate in the brain and the possible benefit of limiting copper in ADHD and reducing estrogen. But this means that it is not the copper itself that is problematic, but its high content in the brain.

OP
D

Daniil

Interesting, I’ve not heard this angle. Why does pregnenolone help with low copper?
Not copper, but cerruloplasmin. I think anything that helps synthesize cerruloplasmin will be useful for ADHD, because it will reduce the amount of free copper in blood.

OP
D

Daniil

Pregnenolone will increase progesterone, and progesterone increases the synthesis of cerruloplasmin.

OP
D

Daniil

In addition, progesterone is anti-estrogenic, and anything that reduces estrogen will be usefu

OP
D

Daniil

However, I am not sure that pregnenolone will turn into progesterone, and not into anything else. But I've heard that it is. It would be nice if someone would sort this out.

OP
D

Daniil

I think, obviously, it is free copper that accumulates in the brain, and not cerruloplasmin)

OP
D

Daniil

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals