Addressing Hair Loss and High Calcium Intake

marko9437

This place is very bullish on high calcium intake. Yet calcification of the hair follicle per Danny Roddy is a major cause of hair loss.

So how to square these two things?

If the priority is to try and regrow hair, should one really be high on calcium intake?

Wouldn't that prevent gains, or is there a mechanism by which high calcium intake doesn't have to lead to calcification?

johnysummer

Yes high calcium is super important. The minimum for me is 2 grams per day and always calcium/phosphate needs to be >1. I think many people neglect this and is probably what hinders their progress. The most pro-metabolic food combo that I found that makes me warmer than anything is hard cheese with liver and not liver alone.

The calcification issue that you address is what 's called the calcium paradox and Ray has written extensively about it (also see Calcium and Disease: Hypertension, organ calcification, & shock, vs. respiratory energy). To make sure that your calcium gets in your bones you can supplement with vit K2 mk-4, which is also is found to have de-calcification properties on already calcified soft tissue.

Nomane Euger

Yes high calcium is super important. The minimum for me is 2 grams per day and always calcium/phosphate needs to be >1. I think many people neglect this and is probably what hinders their progress. The most pro-metabolic food combo that I found that makes me warmer than anything is hard cheese with liver and not liver alone.

The calcification issue that you address is what 's called the calcium paradox and Ray has written extensively about it (also see Calcium and Disease: Hypertension, organ calcification, & shock, vs. respiratory energy). To make sure that your calcium gets in your bones you can supplement with vit K2 mk-4, which is also is found to have de-calcification properties on already calcified soft tissue.
what happens if you dont get 2 grammes of calcium and dont respect this ratio?

johnysummer

There are several such paradoxes: As bones lose calcium, the soft tissues calcify; when less calcium is eaten, blood calcium may increase, along with calcium in many organs and tissues; if an organ such as the heart is deprived of calcium for a short time, its cells lose their ability to respond normally to calcium, and instead they take up a large, toxic amount of calcium.

This is a quote from Ray's article. The quantity of calcium varies based on your needs. The ratio to phosphate tho is very important as higher calcium supresses unwanted hormones like parathyroid and lower phosphate promotes metabolism by less aromitization, more ATP production etc. Read Ray's articles all the info you need is in there.

equipoise

Good calcium:phosphate ratio and 1,5g Ca daily results in no anxiety for me and a quiet, creative mind. Phosphate is inflammatory

This place is very bullish on high calcium intake. Yet calcification of the hair follicle per Danny Roddy is a major cause of hair loss.

If the priority is to try and regrow hair, should one really be high on calcium intake?

Wouldn't that prevent gains, or is there a mechanism by which high calcium intake doesn't have to lead to calcification?

PTH is released when not enough calcium is consumed, which ends up raising serum calcium from PTH breaking down bone. PTH is one of the main causes of soft tissue calcification. Consuming sufficient calcium, paradoxically, lowers serum calcium to normal range and lowers PTH hormone.

The only way I can reach this ratio with food is when I eat jogurt, chese, milk, eggs, fruit and limit my meat intake to 125-150 g/day. No grains or potatoes.

SuperStressed

Actually reading Rays articles would a good place to start.

equipoise

Let's just delete this forum as everything is already in Ray's articles.
Well majority is, for some specifics this forum is a great place to learn aswell.

Look at it this way - say you were an aspiring musician, and you wanted to learn more. You'd try and learn the basics before going more in-depth with advanced topics on the subject? Ray's work is pretty complex, but guys like Danny Roddy made it more accessible to the public, who for one reason or another, choose not to spend too many hours absoring the material, as presented by Ray.

SuperStressed

Let's just delete this forum as everything is already in Ray's articles.

I seriously suggest reading his articles that talk about calcium as it will answer your question better than most on here could. You will find posts on here that will completely contradict what Ray says about it either because they disagree or don't even understand what Ray believes to start with.

It is extremely important to realize that calcium deposits in soft tissues become worse when the diet is low in calcium. Persons suffering from arthritis, bursitis, scleroderma, hardening of the arteries and any abnormality where calcium deposits or spurs may cause pain are often afraid to eat foods rich in calcium. Actually they can never improve until their calcium and magnesium intakes are adequate. Not infrequently physicians tell individuals with kidney stones to avoid all milk, thereby causing stones to form even more rapidly. Such calcium deposits can also occur when vitamin E is undersupplied. After open-heart surgery, when both magnesium and vitamin E are drastically needed and could easily be given, the calcification of heart muscles often becomes so severe that it can cause death within a few days. Pages 171-172, Lets Eat Right to Keep Fit, Adelle Davis, Signet, 1970.

Maybe you struggle to read the articles because of a low thyroid state, understandable.

This may help

johnysummer

I seriously suggest reading his articles that talk about calcium as it will answer your question better than most on here could. You will find posts on here that will completely contradict what Ray says about it either because they disagree or don't even understand what Ray believes to start with.

It is extremely important to realize that calcium deposits in soft tissues become worse when the diet is low in calcium. Persons suffering from arthritis, bursitis, scleroderma, hardening of the arteries and any abnormality where calcium deposits or spurs may cause pain are often afraid to eat foods rich in calcium. Actually they can never improve until their calcium and magnesium intakes are adequate. Not infrequently physicians tell individuals with kidney stones to avoid all milk, thereby causing stones to form even more rapidly. Such calcium deposits can also occur when vitamin E is undersupplied. After open-heart surgery, when both magnesium and vitamin E are drastically needed and could easily be given, the calcification of heart muscles often becomes so severe that it can cause death within a few days. Pages 171-172, Lets Eat Right to Keep Fit, Adelle Davis, Signet, 1970.

Maybe you struggle to read the articles because of a low thyroid state, understandable.

This may help

Lmao I dont think being hypo would impair someone to do some reading. Having an attitude to work towards change already suggests that you are able to study and analyze stuff. I think is dependant on factors that are beyond explanation at least for now, even tho already studied brain chemicals have a lot to do with it.

johnysummer

This may help

Lmao I dont think being hypo would impair someone to do some reading. Having an attitude to work towards change already suggests that you are able to study and analyze stuff. I think is dependant on factors that are beyond explanation at least for now, even tho already studied brain chemicals have a lot to do with it.

P

Peatness

Reading Dr Peat's articles is very helpful but the support of forum members is priceless.

The calcium paradox is real and there are other factors beside calcium that can influence calcification. Natural calcium channels might help

Calcium-Channel Blockers
  • Taurine
  • Alpha-lipoic acid
  • Magnesium (Mg++)
  • Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine)
  • Vitamin C
  • Vitamin E: high gamma/delta E with alpha tocopherol, (high cytosolic Mg++ with low Ca++); also a diuretic
  • N-acetyl cysteine
  • Hawthorne berry
  • Celery
  • Calcium
  • Garlic
High cortisol is also implicated in calcification

Some of haduit's post on calcification might be useful

calcification – To Extract Knowledge from Matter (haidut.me)

SuperStressed

Brain fog and ADD are rampant in hypothyroidism sufferers and no matter how much you want the change, its exhausting. I speak from experience.

SuperStressed

Reading Dr Peat's articles is very helpful but the support of forum members is priceless.

The calcium paradox is real and there are other factors beside calcium that can influence calcification. Natural calcium channels might help

Calcium-Channel Blockers
  • Taurine
  • Alpha-lipoic acid
  • Magnesium (Mg++)
  • Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine)
  • Vitamin C
  • Vitamin E: high gamma/delta E with alpha tocopherol, (high cytosolic Mg++ with low Ca++); also a diuretic
  • N-acetyl cysteine
  • Hawthorne berry
  • Celery
  • Calcium
  • Garlic
High cortisol is also implicated in calcification

Some of haduit's post on calcification might be useful

calcification – To Extract Knowledge from Matter (haidut.me)

Glycine, B3, Aspirin and Coffee also help put calcium where it should be - Peat mentions these in his articles.

Andy316

Brain fog and ADD are rampant in hypothyroidism sufferers and no matter how much you want the change, its exhausting. I speak from experience.
Do you take thyroid medications? Anything has helped to keep the brainfog and ADD in control?

hierundjetzt

Would vit K2 mk-7 work as well (instead of mk-4)?