Added vitamins to milk -- I contacted my local milk company and I have info

milk_lover

Hello again,

Today while drinking low-fat milk at breakfast, I gave myself a new mission; to find out about the type of vitamin D and A added to the milk. It says on the label it has 40 IU of D3 and 200 IU of A per 100 ml. I called the company and they referred me to a nice gentleman who was very helpful. After half an hour of discussion, he welcomed me to visit the company farm and see what the cows eat and their other milk production practices. He emailed me vit A and D pdfs and in this post, I will share some of it to see what you guys think.

Vitamin D info:

Vitamin A info:

I know Ray Peat is against added vitamins in milk because he thinks they could cause allergy to some people. I, personally, have no problem with this brand milk and I can digest it well. But I'd like to know what you guys think of those powdered vitamins, especially Vitamin A because it is synthetic acetate. If I had the option to buy cow milk without added vitamins, I would do that happily, but the Gulf standard for milk requires vitamins A and D be added to all types of cow milk.

Some other brands might use vegetable oil as a carrier to their added vitamins and I am glad the company I like does not do that.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 12.03.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 12.03.35 PM.png
    121.1 KB · Views: 813
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 12.05.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 12.05.40 PM.png
    145.6 KB · Views: 813
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 12.06.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 12.06.22 PM.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 805
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 12.37.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 12.37.20 PM.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 807
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 12.37.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 12.37.47 PM.png
    136.3 KB · Views: 797
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 12.38.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 12.38.21 PM.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 816

schultz

I try not to worry about too much and/or only focus on changing one small thing at a time, personally, or else I go bonkers. I have yet to get concerned about this particular issue.

Ray said in an interview that he is incredibly allergic to synthetic vitamin A and that just a tiny amount of it gives him noticeable symptoms. However, when he consumes the stuff as an added vitamin to milk he has no symptoms and his thoughts are that something in the milk is protecting his body from the effect.

By the way, thanks for posting this information!

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

You welcome schultz! If you're interested, the company that makes those vitamins is called DSM, based off Basel, Switzerland. It has offices in North America (New Jersey), Asia (Singapore, China), and Brazil (Sao Paulo). So you can be sure those vitamins are used in milk in different places of the globe not just in my local milk company. And you're right. We shouldn't worry about every tiny detail, but I thought milk is a big part of my diet so it won't hurt to know what the hell is the deal with those added vitamins :lol:

Didn't Ray say increased dietary calcium helps with allergy?

tara

Peat has expressed concern about silicon dioxide because the particles may adsorb and cause stress and impede flow in small blood vessels etc. This could maybe be a small but cumulative issue?

I suspect acacia gum may not be great, and the modified starch may or may not pose an issue for a few susceptible people.

I'd be guessing that if you notice no ill effects, then the milk is probably doing you more good than harm.

There are other more problematic-looking chemicals (can't remember the names) mentioned in other threads as sometimes used to add these vitamins to milk (in US?) - your supply may be better for not having them.

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

tara said:
post 100854 Peat has expressed concern about silicon dioxide because the particles may adsorb and cause stress and impede flow in small blood vessels etc. This could maybe be a small but cumulative issue?

I suspect acacia gum may not be great, and the modified starch may or may not pose an issue for a few susceptible people.

I'd be guessing that if you notice no ill effects, then the milk is probably doing you more good than harm.

There are other more problematic-looking chemicals (can't remember the names) mentioned in other threads as sometimes used to add these vitamins to milk (in US?) - your supply may be better for not having them.
Thanks tara for the info :)

Last edited by a moderator:

XPlus

It's interesting to find out what kind of stuff they add to milk exactly.
I always thought it's pure vitamins but I think the amount of additives isn't significant.
That's why they're not listed on the milk packaging.
I'm allergic to silicon dioxide. I can feel it irritating me almost immediately but I can't feel any in milk.

Thanks for sharing.

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

DaveFoster said:
Silicon dioxide? Nooooo! My milk. :x
:lol:
XPlus said:
It's interesting to find out what kind of stuff they add to milk exactly.
I always thought it's pure vitamins but I think the amount of additives isn't significant.
That's why they're not listed on the milk packaging.
I'm allergic to silicon dioxide. I can feel it irritating me almost immediately but I can't feel any in milk.

Thanks for sharing.
You welcome XPlus. Yeah silicon dioxide containing supplements almost always give me trouble, that's why I usually accompany them with milk, it makes it less irritating.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals