Added Salt, Now Swollen Feet. Help!

artlange

I've been increasing the salt added to OJ, which is my primary salt intake. Last night I slept with my feet raised slightly and woke with normal (not swollen) feet or ankles. I had two glasses of OJ each with 1/2 tsp Morton's canning salt today one around 9AM and one around noon. total 1tsp salt so far today. Total liquid 1 qt OJ and 1.25 qt milk. It's now around 2:30PM, and my feet and ankles are noticeably swollen. Left is more swollen.

I'd to know what total amount of salt I should take per day. Would urea supplement help?

I'm not taking any medications and am reasonably fit 76 yo male. This is the first time my feet have been so swollen. six months ago I had a small amount of swelling which was not alarming.

Djukami

I've read @tyw saying that mixing liquid with salt is not that optimal. In my experience, it is not indeed. I've also had the same experience in the past when I mixed with OJ. It will eventually go way, at least, in my case it went.
The best way to use salt is with something solid.

OP
A

artlange

I've read @tyw saying that mixing liquid with salt is not that optimal. In my experience, it is not indeed. I've also had the same experience in the past when I mixed with OJ. It will eventually go way, at least, in my case it went.
The best way to use salt is with something solid.
thanks for the suggestion. I had not thought of the difference of salt in liquid compared to salt on a solid food.

I just ran across this thread. some of my questions were answered.
More Dietary Salt Increases Urea Synthesis And Energy Requirements

TubZy

add more potassium and magnesium should clear it up quick and increase water intake

OP
A

artlange

I added enough salt to my OJ reduce the swelling and let the tissues return to normal size.

I figured out what caused the swelling problem. I was doing a Richfield temperature reset and it included a few hours of intense sweating while dressed very warmly and keeping my body temp at 98.6, a bit higher than my 97.4. After three days, the sweating reduced my electrolytes enough to cause the swelling, and extra salt in OJ was the handiest method to restore the missing minerals.

shepherdgirl

I think I remember RP saying that if you increase your salt intake suddenly, you swell up for maybe a few days. This is because when you were eating low salt, your aldosterone level became high, and then when you suddenly eat more salt the aldosterone level is still high and takes a few days to readjust to a lower level.

schultz

I think I remember RP saying that if you increase your salt intake suddenly, you swell up for maybe a few days. This is because when you were eating low salt, your aldosterone level became high, and then when you suddenly eat more salt the aldosterone level is still high and takes a few days to readjust to a lower level.

Yah he said this in a Politics and Science episode.

RAY PEAT: Yes. When you’re already on a low salt diet and take salt... one of the common physiology experiments is to have people drink a quart of plain water or a quart of plain water with a heaping teaspoon of salt added to it and at the end of the physiology lab, everyone who got the unsalted warm water would have formed about a quart of urine, and the ones that got the salt didn’t have any extra forming. It took usually a couple of days for that excess water to come out.
So if you take a sudden dose of salt, it makes you swell up and retain water, until your aldosterone has adjusted downward.

JOHN BARKHAUSEN: I see; so it just takes a while to adjust to it?

postman

RAY PEAT: Yes. When you’re already on a low salt diet and take salt... one of the common physiology experiments is to have people drink a quart of plain water or a quart of plain water with a heaping teaspoon of salt added to it and at the end of the physiology lab, everyone who got the unsalted warm water would have formed about a quart of urine, and the ones that got the salt didn’t have any extra forming. It took usually a couple of days for that excess water to come out.
So if you take a sudden dose of salt, it makes you swell up and retain water, until your aldosterone has adjusted downward.

It doesn't work like this in my experience. The swelling never stops. To the contrary, when on a high salt diet I'm consistently swollen. And if I change my diet and stop consuming salt then finally the swelling goes away.

Ganne

What if I have have low salt 138 and low aldosterone ? I have edema and can’t seem to get over it.