Adaptogens - ashwandgha, bacopa monnieri, rhodiola rosea, panax ginseng

ReSTART

Anybody tried these??
I was interested in ashwandgha because it seems to boost test but it's cholinergic

Last edited:

dukesbobby777

When I was metabolically more compromised (pre-Peat) I saw obvious effects from all of them. Nowadays when I try herbs like this I notice barely any effects. But from my experiences of trying them years ago:

Panax was obviously energizing. Felt very mood enhancing as well.

Rhodiola you have to be careful with as there is a lot of snake oil sold out there. There are some top quality brands that are apparently the ones to buy, but I forget which ones.

Bacopa, I just remember making me feel sleepy each day. Not sure what else it did other than that. Might be cholinergic too.

Ashwagandha, I found dulling, but in a pro-depressive way. I think you’re right. It probably is cholinergic.

ubiety

Rhodiola rosea is the best anti-anxiety supplement I've ever used, and without a dulling effect like from ashwagandha. It also has some nootropic benefits.

OP
R

ReSTART

From more reading these all increase choline or serotonin, a shame.

Frankdee20

Rhodiola rosea is the best anti-anxiety supplement I've ever used, and without a dulling effect like from ashwagandha. It also has some nootropic benefits.
Which product ? Brand ? Name ?

ubiety

You would think since this is a stimulant, anxiety would be worse..
Yeah, but I've never heard of it actually making anxiety worse. It's a nice balance of calming without any dulling. It might also lower cortisol, not sure.

Abstract​

Background: Rhodiola rosea is an herbal supplement that many in the general population in Russia and elsewhere in the world have used for decades to alleviate everyday anxiety, depression, and insomnia. Whether R. rosea is effective in reducing similar symptoms in clinical samples is unknown. The goal of this pilot study was to evaluate whether R. rosea is effective in reducing symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD).
Method: Ten (10) participants with a DSM-IV diagnosis of GAD, recruited from the UCLA Anxiety Disorders Program and between the ages of 34 and 55, were enrolled in this study from November 2005 to May 2006. Participants received a total daily dose of 340 mg of R. rosea extract for 10 weeks. Assessments included the Hamilton Anxiety Rating Scale (HARS), the Four-Dimensional Anxiety and Depression Scale, and the Clinical Global Impressions of Severity/Improvement Scale.
Results: Individuals treated with R. rosea showed significant decreases in mean HARS scores at endpoint (t=3.27, p=0.01). Adverse events were generally mild or moderate in severity, the most common being dizziness and dry mouth.
Conclusions: Significant improvement in GAD symptoms was found with R. rosea, with a reduction in HARS scores similar to that found in clinical trials. These preliminary findings warrant further exploration of treatment with R. rosea in clinical samples.

Frankdee20

I did a video on Ashwagandha:

Ashwaganda is definitely the one to avoid here... I don’t see Rhodiola get much bad publicity on this forum the was Ash does

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals