Acute Sustained Shock

kettlebell

Hi everyone,

Something happened Friday night that i will not explain here that almost immediately put me into extreme shock and I have been in a constant loop since.

My heart rate rocketed, cognitive funtion was dramatically reduced, I became very cold and was shaking uncontrollably.

All I could do was bag breathe and sip on Oj and salt. I have not slept in two days. My head is throbbing not really painful but very uncomfortable and im very confused with major brain fog.

Please assume my E2 level has spiked causing the further cascade of extreme adrenaline, cortisol, serotonin etc. I am symtomatic of it remaining very high right now.

Anxiety and panic are through the roof and I am struggling to stay in control. I am struggling to keep any fluid or food down due to extreme nausea and am freezing cold.

Any help or advice on how to try to get acute shock symptoms back under control would be more than gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Ps I am doing OJ, Milk, Gelatin, Salt, Bag breathing almost constantly. Taken high dose aspirin which does seem to help a little. I am considering eating table sugar just to try and get calories as since the incident I can only seem to get 1/4 of my daily requirement at best which isn't helping.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Did you write Ray Peat?

Get better soon KB!

BingDing

You have my sympathies, KB. First aid for shock is to add clothes or blankets, lie down and elevate the feet. A wool type hat helps retain heat. A winter rated sleeping bag might be good. I think keeping the torso warm is most important. Hope this helps.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/aspir ... ncer.shtml
Ray Peat said:
In multiple organ failure, which can be caused by profound shock caused by trauma, infection, or other stress, aspirin is often helpful, but carbon dioxide and hypertonic glucose and sodium are more important.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/leakiness.shtml
Ray Peat said:
Although water loss causes the blood to become more viscous under the influence of estrogen, the plasma becomes hypotonic, meaning that it contains fewer osmotically active solutes than normal; some of the sodium that helps to maintain the blood's osmotic balance is lost through the kidneys, and some is taken up by the red blood cells and other cells. The osmotic imbalance of the blood causes tissue cells to take up more water, contributing to their increased excitability. In many cases, the vascular leakage of inflammation and shock can be corrected by using osmotically active substances, such as starch solutions, gelatin, or concentrated sodium chloride.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/water.shtml
Ray Peat said:
Hyperosmotic sodium chloride solutions (e.g., 7.5%) are being used more often for treating trauma and shock, because the concentrated solution increases blood volume by removing water from the extravascular spaces, unlike the "isotonic" saline (0.9% sodium chloride), which usually adds to the edema by leaking out of the blood vessels.

Ray Peat said:
In shock, the blood pressure decreases, mainly because the blood volume decreases. Water is taken up by the tissues, out of the blood. Much of the remaining blood volume is accumulated in the relaxed veins, and little is returned to the heart, yet the increased need for circulation accelerates the heart, causing each stroke to pump only a small amount. The reduced blood pressure caused many people to think that adrenaline would help to improve the circulation, but actually the “resistance arteries,” small arteries that provide blood to the arterioles and capillaries, are constricted in shock, (Lin, et al., 1998,) and adrenaline usually makes the situation worse. When tissue is poorly oxygenated (or is exposed to estrogen) it takes up water, swelling and becoming more rigid, turgid. (It also takes up calcium, especially under the influence of estrogen, causing muscles to contract.) This swelling effect will be much more noticeable in small arteries than in major arteries with very large channels, but when the effect is prolonged, it will affect even the heart, causing it to “stiffen,” weakening its ability to pump. There is some evidence that estrogen can make large arteries stiffen, over a span of a few months. (Giltay, et al., 1999)

Estrogen, by creating an oxygen deficiency, stimulates first swelling, and then collagen synthesis. Collagen tends to accumulate with aging.

In shock, the cells are in a very low energy state, and infusions of ATP have been found to be therapeutic, but simple hypertonic solutions of glucose and salt are probably safer, and are very effective. The low energy of cells causes them to take up water, but it also causes the veins (which always receive blood after most of its oxygen and nutrients have been extracted) to lose their tone, allowing blood to pool in them, instead of returning to the heart. (Abel and Longnecker, 1978) This contributes to varicose veins (Ciardullo, et al., 2000), and to orthostatic hypotension, which is seen in women who are exposed to too much estrogen, and very frequently in old people.

Ray Peat said:
In sleep, as in shock, hyperventilation is common, and it sometimes produces extreme vasoconstriction, because of the loss of carbon dioxide.

Since glucose and salt are used to treat shock (intravenous 7.5% salt solutions are effective), it seems appropriate to use carbohydrate (preferably sugar, rather than starch) and salty foods during the night, to minimize the stress reaction. They lower adrenalin and cortisol, and help to maintain the volume and fluidity of blood. Thyroid, to maintain adequate carbon dioxide, is often all it takes to improve the blood levels of salt, glucose, and adrenalin.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=316&p=1224&hilit=shock#p1224
Ray Peat said:
The simplest, nonessential, amino acid, glycine, has been found to protect against carcinogenesis, inflammation, fibrosis, neurological damage, shock, asthma, and hypertension. Increased glycine improves learning (Handlemann, et al., 1989; File, et al., 1999), glycine antagonists usually impair it. Its antitoxic and cytoprotective actions are remarkable. Collagen, besides being free of tryptophan, contains a large amount of glycine--32% of its amino acid units, 22% of its weight.

chris

Charlie said:
Ray Peat said:
The simplest, nonessential, amino acid, glycine, has been found to protect against carcinogenesis, inflammation, fibrosis, neurological damage, shock, asthma, and hypertension. Increased glycine improves learning (Handlemann, et al., 1989; File, et al., 1999), glycine antagonists usually impair it. Its antitoxic and cytoprotective actions are remarkable. Collagen, besides being free of tryptophan, contains a large amount of glycine--32% of its amino acid units, 22% of its weight.

Interesting. Does anyone take glycine on its own here?

OP
K

kettlebell

Thanks Guys, great info I had forgotten!

Im onto the Gelatin and Bicarb right now. Plenty of Oj and Salt too. Gotta try to keep enough down.

Will write again when feeling better.

Wilfrid

Hi Kettlebell,

Sorry to ask you that but are you peeing clear and frequently?

Wilfrid

If so, do you think that switching from milk and OJ to Pepsi (not Coke) and ice cream would be good? Try to minimize your fluide intake until you've got some good yellow color back to your urine (if of course you're peeing clear....)
I see that you live in the UK....Do you have, by chance, access to the Rene Quiton's hypertonic solution?

Sunjoy

Wilfrid said:
If so, do you think that switching from milk and OJ to Pepsi (not Coke) and ice cream would be good? Try to minimize your fluide intake until you've got some good yellow color back to your urine (if of course you're peeing clear....)
I see that you live in the UK....Do you have, by chance, access to the Rene Quiton's hypertonic solution?

Curious as to why you recommend Pepsi and not Coke?

Sorry to hear of your situation Kettlebell.

Wilfrid

Sunjoy said:
Wilfrid said:

Curious as to why you recommend Pepsi and not Coke?

Sorry to hear of your situation Kettlebell.

Pepsi contains more sodium than potassium, coke has more potassium than sodium.....any food with a high potassium/sodium ratio tends to make hyponatremia worse.....Like also drinking too much fluids :2cents

OP
K

kettlebell

Thankyou guys,

Thanks Wilfred, Great info. To be honest I can't remember now. I'm coming out the other side luckily (3 days) and am starting to feel better. Still anxious/panicky but getting there. Estrogen, serotonin and prolactin suck.

That was one messed up weekend for sure!

kiran

Wilfrid said:
Pepsi contains more sodium than potassium, coke has more potassium than sodium.....any food with a high potassium/sodium ratio tends to make hyponatremia worse.....Like also drinking too much fluids :2cents

Do you have a reference for that ?

Rachel

Dang it, kettlebell! Sorry that you're feeling under the weather. :(
Maybe a series of good ol' hot Epsom salt and baking soda baths would help you.
You might find yourself completely relaxed and warm. Magnesium and CO2 to the rescue!

OP
K

kettlebell

Rachel said:
Dang it, kettlebell! Sorry that you're feeling under the weather. :(
Maybe a series of good ol' hot Epsom salt and baking soda baths would help you.
You might find yourself completely relaxed and warm. Magnesium and CO2 to the rescue!

Thanks Rachel,

Exactly what I have been doing and it definitely helps.

Out of curiosity how much bicard do you chuck in (And Epsom Salt for that matter)? I have been putting in 2lbs or so.

Rachel

kettlebell said:
Thanks Rachel,

Exactly what I have been doing and it definitely helps.

Out of curiosity how much bicard do you chuck in (And Epsom Salt for that matter)? I have been putting in 2lbs or so.
KB, I put in a 1 lb box of bicarb and about a cup and a half of Epsom salts.

Birdie

chris said:
Charlie said:
Ray Peat said:

I have glycine powder which I add to my blended milk drinks.

chris

Birdie said:
chris said:
Charlie said:
Ray Peat said:

I have glycine powder which I add to my blended milk drinks.

Have you noticed any benefit or had any successes with it?