Acute Effects Of LSD On DHEA

Drareg

Study showing LSD increases DHEA in humans, no other steroids increased.
Implies LSD in androgenic.

Acute Effects of Lysergic Acid Diethylamide on Circulating Steroid Levels in Healthy Subjects. - PubMed - NCBI

Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) is a serotonin 5-hydroxytryptamine-2A (5-HT2A ) receptor agonist that is used recreationally worldwide. Interest in LSD research in humans waned after the 1970s, although the use of LSD in psychiatric research and practice has recently gained increasing attention. LSD produces pronounced acute psychedelic effects, although its influence on plasma steroid levels over time has not yet been characterised in humans. The effects of LSD (200 μg) or placebo on plasma steroid levels were investigated in 16 healthy subjects using a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over study design. Plasma concentration-time profiles were determined for 15 steroids using liquid-chromatography tandem mass-spectrometry. LSD increased plasma concentrations of the glucocorticoids cortisol, cortisone, corticosterone and 11-dehydrocorticosterone compared to placebo. The mean maximum concentration of LSD was reached at 1.7 h. Mean peak psychedelic effects were reached at 2.4 h, with significant alterations in mental state from 0.5 h to > 10 h. Mean maximal concentrations of cortisol and corticosterone were reached at 2.5 h and 1.9 h, and significant elevations were observed 1.5-6 h and 1-3 h after drug administration, respectively. LSD also significantly increased plasma concentrations of the androgen dehydroepiandrosterone but not other androgens, progestogens or mineralocorticoids compared to placebo. A close relationship was found between plasma LSD concentrations and changes in plasma cortisol and corticosterone and the psychotropic response to LSD, and no clockwise hysteresis was observed. In conclusion, LSD produces significant acute effects on circulating steroids, especially glucocorticoids. LSD-induced changes in circulating glucocorticoids were associated with plasma LSD concentrations over time and showed no acute pharmacological tolerance.

FiveAsh

I suspect the marked increase in glucocorticoids would be a compensatory response (gluconeogenesis) to the huge stimulation of brain metabolism by LSD.

Makrosky

I suspect the marked increase in glucocorticoids would be a compensatory response (gluconeogenesis) to the huge stimulation of brain metabolism by LSD.

Me too. 200mcg of LSD is a powerful dose whose effects will last at least 10 hours. You won't be very hungry during the trip neither afterwards so some raising of stress hormones to compensate is assured. I don't really think it makes any sense to do a study with such big doses. What's the point ?

Taking that into account, I think one can't conclude LSD raises DHEA because the raise in DHEA can be an action from the body to compensate for the induced mental and physical stress.

OP
Drareg

Drareg

It's interesting that it would last 10
Me too. 200mcg of LSD is a powerful dose whose effects will last at least 10 hours. You won't be very hungry during the trip neither afterwards so some raising of stress hormones to compensate is assured. I don't really think it makes any sense to do a study with such big doses. What's the point ?

Taking that into account, I think one can't conclude LSD raises DHEA because the raise in DHEA can be an action from the body to compensate for the induced mental and physical stress.

It could be a number of different things,if it takes serotonin out of the system a lot of positive things can happen as we know.

Do LSD before a gym session, the new juice. LSD brah.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals