Activated Charcoal

loess

I just received some in the mail. The carrot is not doing me any good right now; since my digestion is so slow it doesn't get eliminated in a timely manner, I think I am just re-absorbing the endotoxins and estrogen and whatever else it binds. Hopefully a combination of charcoal and cascara will work a little better for me. If you do a search you will find others here who have had experience with activated charcoal. It is important not to ingest it every day since it will not only suck up toxins but nutrients as well; every three days or so is probably safe. Also have read to start with a small dose (1 tsp) and work your way up.

It is extraordinarily messy but easy to clean off of smooth surfaces. Just don't spill it on your carpet or a rough tile floor! I did try brushing my teeth with the charcoal this morning and ended up accidentally inhaling a bit. Does being entertained by black boogers count as a side effect?

juanitacarlos

I use it pretty regularly as I get sick of the carrot salad. I do think it helps. When I was using it with a bit of toothpaste, it helped to whiten my teeth.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
loess said:
Does being entertained by black boogers count as a side effect?
:eek: :rolling

aquaman

loess said:
I just received some in the mail. The carrot is not doing me any good right now; since my digestion is so slow it doesn't get eliminated in a timely manner, I think I am just re-absorbing the endotoxins and estrogen and whatever else it binds.

I write about it a lot, but Cascara tea is your answer. Normally I have a BM every 2nd day, today I had 3 in one day and feel great.

Carrot + cascara = winner.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

I have been using cascara and the carrot salad daily for a year now. No cigar for me.

loess

I did 1.5 tbsp of charcoal and 1.5 tbsp of cascara yesterday at 12:30pm. Usually I know the carrot is working because it tends to clear up anxiety for me almost immediately, like within an hour of eating it. I'm guessing that's because it is binding up or reducing endotoxin and serotonin. The charcoal gave me that same good feeling, but no bowel movement yet, still playing the waiting game after almost 24 hours. I drank more cascara tea this morning so we'll see what happens. Doesn't seem to make a difference whether I ingest the powder itself or just the hot water steeped in the powder. Maybe I just need to significantly up the dose. I didn't feel like eating anything yesterday so I've really gotta take in some sugar+protein+fat today...if the charcoal is gonna bind or destroy those nutrients before it comes out, oh well.

I don't think my gastroparesis and sluggish digestion is going to clear up without the help of thyroid so I am probably going to start on some NDT soon. Maybe get some blood tests first to see where my T3 and T4 are at.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

loess said:
I did 1.5 tbsp of charcoal and 1.5 tbsp of cascara yesterday at 12:30pm. Usually I know the carrot is working because it tends to clear up anxiety for me almost immediately, like within an hour of eating it. I'm guessing that's because it is binding up or reducing endotoxin and serotonin. The charcoal gave me that same good feeling, but no bowel movement yet, still playing the waiting game after almost 24 hours. I drank more cascara tea this morning so we'll see what happens. Doesn't seem to make a difference whether I ingest the powder itself or just the hot water steeped in the powder. Maybe I just need to significantly up the dose. I didn't feel like eating anything yesterday so I've really gotta take in some sugar+protein+fat today...if the charcoal is gonna bind or destroy those nutrients before it comes out, oh well.

I don't think my gastroparesis and sluggish digestion is going to clear up without the help of thyroid so I am probably going to start on some NDT soon. Maybe get some blood tests first to see where my T3 and T4 are at.

I wish thyroid helped me go...

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Cascara + carrot salad and alternating the salad with charcoal every 3 or 4 days = endotoxin/estrogen death blow. A truly wonderful experience all around. :)

jyb

Charlie said:
Cascara + carrot salad and alternating the salad with charcoal every 3 or 4 days = endotoxin/estrogen death blow. A truly wonderful experience all around. :)

Is charcoal useful when already doing cascara + carrot daily?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
jyb said:
Charlie said:

Is charcoal useful when already doing cascara + carrot daily?

I do not do(carrot/charcoal) them both in the same day. One or the other. Some days I want to skip the carrot salad so then I will swig some charcoal.

jyb

Isn't there a RP quote about the impurities in those commercial charcoal supplements? In theory it does seem useful, I remember some Russian study on rat I think where it increased lifespan, but if there are concerns about impurities, why not just carrot (and cascara if you have transit problem)?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
iLoveSugar said:
Is charcoal likely more effective than the carrot salad?
The way I see it charcoal has "soaking up" properties. Carrot has "soaking up" and also antibacterial/antimicrobial properties.
jyb said:
Isn't there a RP quote about the impurities in those commercial charcoal supplements?
I think this comes down to finding a good source just like with anything else. :2cents
In theory it does seem useful, I remember some Russian study on rat I think where it increased lifespan, but if there are concerns about impurities, why not just carrot (and cascara if you have transit problem)?
I agree carrot seems the better option and that's why I use it for the brunt of my "protocol" as opposed to charcoal.

On another note. I mentioned a while back that I seemed to need to have some sugar near the carrot salad. Or definitely, soon after the carrot salad. And I speculated that is was due to liver, or something to that effect but I wasn't quite clear on what was going on. Someone chimed in and said well wouldn't the carrot salad take a load off the liver and I agreed with what the person said and had nothing else to add. Well today it hit me, about 1.5 hours after eating a pretty big carrot salad I could feel that feeling of my liver asking for fuel. And then I finally got it, the carrot salad immediately effects respiration, it soaks up the endotoxin, and estrogen, and whatever, so then your body responds with a much higher respiration rate due to the burden being taken off your liver, increasing metabolism, and therefor burning up your liver fuel storage at an accelerated rate, hence why I feel a sudden urge for sugar/fuel not too long after a carrot salad.

loess

Charlie, I read your post a couple of days ago in the other thread that you mentioned, and what you say here makes a lot of sense! It's fun to observe this stuff and ponder all of the cool pathways and chain reactions going on.

The cascara finally kicked in this afternoon, boy do I feel better. I think in the end I just need to be more patient with it. It seems that anything I ingest just takes longer than "normal" (whatever that means) to make it's way through.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
loess said:
It's fun to observe this stuff and ponder all of the cool pathways and chain reactions going on.
It truly is.
The cascara finally kicked in this afternoon, boy do I feel better. I think in the end I just need to be more patient with it. It seems that anything I ingest just takes longer than "normal" (whatever that means) to make it's way through.
Being able to evacuate the bowels effectively makes a massive difference on how I feel. It's quite incredible and I think this is another huge piece of the puzzle that should not be overlooked. If I need to take cascara for a while until I can get to that place where I wont need it, so be it. Because I am going to be so much better off metabolically during the times of taking that cascara when I needed it, then not taking it and trying to "tough it out". Taking it when you need it should actually help you get to the place much faster of not needing it.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Charlie said:
Being able to evacuate the bowels effectively makes a massive difference on how I feel. It's quite incredible and I think this is another huge piece of the puzzle that should not be overlooked. If I need to take cascara for a while until I can get to that place where I wont need it, so be it. Because I am going to be so much better off metabolically during the times of taking that cascara when I needed it, then not taking it and trying to "tough it out". Taking it when you need it should actually help you get to the place much faster of not needing it.

Agree 110%. It is the single most important thing to me. When I can't go effectively and completely, my life becomes living hell. This is true for almost very day. I have to find a way to effectively go completely, daily. Carrot salad and cascara does squat for me. I feel incredibly toxic and my digestion is all but nothing...

HDD

"The contractile ability of smooth muscle, that’s impaired by swelling and inflammation, can be restored by antiinflammatory agents, for example aspirin (or other inhibitor of prostaglandin synthesis) or antihistamines. This applies to the muscles of lymphatic vessels (Wu, et al., 2005, 2006; Gosling, 2000), that must function to reduce edema, as well as to the bowel muscles that cause peristalsis."

Maybe antihistamine or aspirin might help.

loess

After today I am feeling much more confident about cascara. I am right there with you Charlie on the happy bowels = happy days. Definitely grateful to have the cascara as a gentle and safe tool to support the whole metabolic picture.

iLoveSugar, have you experimented with transdermal magnesium oil or taking magnesium supplements? I know there are a billion things to consider with the digestion, but I do notice that if I keep up with the magnesium it makes a difference with the constipation and with sleep.

Give the charcoal a try. I was a little concerned that it would get clump up and get stuck but the cascara eventually moved it through. How much cascara are you taking when it doesn't work for you? Maybe increase dose and/or drink it a couple of times in a day? Also just to be sure, is your cascara aged properly (at least one year)?