Activated Charcoal

RedHerring

by loess » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:35 pm
I don't think my gastroparesis and sluggish digestion is going to clear up without the help of thyroid so I am probably going to start on some NDT soon. Maybe get some blood tests first to see where my T3 and T4 are at.

Was wondering if you've made any headway wrt your gastroparesis via testing/adjusting thyroid levels - especially T4?
I received this article from Ray Peat a couple days ago which implicates low T4 with this condition. I have both - GP, and low T4.

1. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013 Nov;98(11):E1775-9.
Effects of L-thyroxine on gastric motility and ghrelin in subclinical
hypothyroidism: a prospective study.
Canpolat AG(1), Kav T, Sivri B, Yildiz BO.
(1)Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine,
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, 06100 Ankara, Turkey.
[email protected].
INTRODUCTION: Overt hypothyroidism affects the gastrointestinal system. Limited
data are available regarding gastric motility in subclinical hypothyroidism
(SCH).
OBJECTIVE: The aim of this study was to assess gastric motility-related gastric
symptoms and levels of ghrelin in patients with SCH compared with those in
healthy control subjects and to evaluate the potential effects of l-thyroxine
replacement therapy.
METHODS: Twenty premenopausal women with SCH and 20 age- and body mass
index-matched healthy control women were enrolled in the study. The gastroparesis
cardinal severity index questionnaire was used to reveal gastrointestinal
motility changes, and electrogastrographic activities were measured. Fasting and
postprandial ghrelin levels at 30, 60, and 120 minutes were determined during a
mixed meal test. All tests were repeated after 6 months when patients were in the
euthyroid state.
RESULTS: The gastroparesis cardinal severity index score, fasting tachygastria
ratio, and postprandial/fasting bradygastria ratio in electrogastrography were
higher in patients with SCH compared with control subjects (P = .03, P = .04, and
P = .04, respectively). All 3 parameters significantly improved after l-thyroxine
replacement therapy (P < .001, P = .005, and P =.02 respectively) reaching levels
similar to those of control subjects. Baseline and area under the curve for
ghrelin during mixed meal tests did not show a difference between patients with
SCH and control subjects and before and after l-thyroxine replacement in SCH.
CONCLUSION: Gastric dysmotility and the resultant upper gastrointestinal symptoms
can be observed in SCH, and symptomatology related to dysmotility and parameters
appear to be improved with thyroid hormone replacement. Our results also suggest
that ghrelin levels in response to a meal are similar between women with SCH and
healthy women and that normalization of thyroid function by l-thyroxine does not
modulate these levels.

loess

Just now came across this, sorry for the delayed reply. I have not tested my T3/T4 levels and have yet to try taking thyroid, but the gastroparesis has improved immensely since I last posted in this thread. I can't necessarily attribute it to one particular thing, but red light, niacinamide, carrot salad + cascara, consistently eating enough liver and oysters, re-introducing coffee into my life after years of abstaining from it, avoiding PUFA, more sunlight and light exercise have all been very therapeutic. I still have sluggish digestion sometimes, when that happens I can usually look at what's been going on with me recently and conclude that some lifestyle variables or nutrient needs are not being met.

healthnatura

You can find some more recent discussion and RP refferences on this subject on my merchants page. You may find the information helpful. There is also an active poll there till Oct 14th 2015 if you have a product preference.
Poll and RP references.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals