Activated Charcoal Supplementation - Brand?

jaywills

Hi all sorry if this has been covered. What brand of activated charcoal does everybody use? I want to buy a pure bulk powder but here in the uk this is proving a little difficult. I am currently using swansons tablets but am having to take 8 pills plus to get to the higher dosages plus this is quite costly.

Can the activated carbon sold as a fish pond product be used?

loess

Not sure if it's available in the UK, but this is what I use and have had good results with:
http://www.multavita.com/1-lb-Hardwood- ... _p_67.html

I would think that in some cases, buying activated charcoal marketed for aquarium use might be analogous to buying pure aspirin powder marketed for veterinary use. In other words: same product, different packaging, and possibly less of a price markup. That being said, if I was going this route, I would do everything I could to first confirm that the particles are extremely finely and uniformly ground and that the charcoal is processed in a clean way that is safe for human consumption.

tara

I use bulk AC powder from Charcoal House. I am not in UK, but it imported to me fine. Postage was high, but if you get a reasonable amount it's not so bad. I can't judge quality, but I am not aware of any particular problems with it. They have more than one kind intended for human consumption.
Unlike loess, I would have thought there would be greater danger of persorption (though also greater beneficial adsorption) with smaller particle size than with larger.

jyb

I'm still looking for a good one before buying a bulk powder. Seems like Bragg's is one of the finest and medical grade, but apparently they don't sell powder to individuals. They do sell capsules so you could empty them to get pure powder, but that may not be economical unless you're just looking for occasional use.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals