Activated Charcoal Powder Messes Up Gut Microbiome?

Fractality

A couple Sundays ago I was eating in a restaurant and realized that the chicken skewer I was tentatively eating was raw in one part. I promptly spit it out and when I got home I decided to take two heaping spoonfuls of activated charcoal powder as a preventative. Since then, my bowel movements have been irregular and not fully formed. Instead of one satisfying large "clean" stool or two, I'm releasing mostly gas and small and "dirty" stools which require a lot more wiping causing discomfort.

Has anyone else noticed digestive/stool issues after taking AC?

Soren

Forum Supporter
What brand of charcoal did you take? A lot of activated charcoal products have lots of fillers such as magnesium, these can really mess up the gut (they did for me) you have to be sure you have a good source.

nwo2012

It could also be the raw chicken you ate. Maybe try a course of antibiotics such as doxycycline to be sure?

rei

The fact that one part had not completely denaturated proteins does not mean it was not properly cooked. It meant that you got proper nutrition for once in your life.

The product you linked is alkaline, it will destroy your gut acid and cause compensatory reactions if the alkalinity is too much. Loose stool is expected as your body tries to regain homeostasis. Additionally it might mop up your good bacteria and leave bad ones to gain control of your bowel.

OP
Fractality

Fractality

It could also be the raw chicken you ate. Maybe try a course of antibiotics such as doxycycline to be sure?

It's certainly possible.

The fact that one part had not completely denaturated proteins does not mean it was not properly cooked. It meant that you got proper nutrition for once in your life.

The product you linked is alkaline, it will destroy your gut acid and cause compensatory reactions if the alkalinity is too much. Loose stool is expected as your body tries to regain homeostasis. Additionally it might mop up your good bacteria and leave bad ones to gain control of your bowel.

How do you know it is alkaline?

Anyways, I'm noticing improvement each day so whatever the cause was, it seems that my body is fixing itself.

rei

HIGHEST QUALITY, STEAM ACTIVATED, ALKALINE (pH) ACTIVATED COCONUT CHARCOAL POWDER,

rmgwm

A couple Sundays ago I was eating in a restaurant and realized that the chicken skewer I was tentatively eating was raw in one part. I promptly spit it out and when I got home I decided to take two heaping spoonfuls of activated charcoal powder as a preventative. Since then, my bowel movements have been irregular and not fully formed. Instead of one satisfying large "clean" stool or two, I'm releasing mostly gas and small and "dirty" stools which require a lot more wiping causing discomfort.

Has anyone else noticed digestive/stool issues after taking AC?
I've had the same thing any time I take a significant amount of AC. It's constipation and is a known side effect of AC (google search). I usually recover from it a day or so afterward, not sure it's having an effect on the microbiome but it might be...

managing

HIGHEST QUALITY, STEAM ACTIVATED, ALKALINE (pH) ACTIVATED COCONUT CHARCOAL POWDER,
Alkalinity is merely proof of purity when it comes to AC. In its natural state, AC is alkaline. Further, steam activated is highly desired over chemically activated. Chemically activated will have a pH below 7, due to the chemicals used, and their residue.

You are correct that an alkaline AC will neutralize some stomach acid. ANd I think the OP overdid it with the dose. But alkaline AC is exactly what you want. Not acidic. ANd neutral would just indicate somebody tampering with the pH, probably not in a good way. I think the OP's issue is just disruption from the high dosage. A lot of which, in my experience, is caused by the AC itself irritating the intestinal wall.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom