Action Of Topical Thyroid Hormone Analogue In Reversing Glucocorticoid-induced Skin Atrophy

paymanz

Action of topical thyroid hormone analogue, triiodothyroacetic acid in reversing glucocorticoid-induced skin atrophy in humans. - PubMed - NCBI

Abstract
The present study concerns the effect of topical treatment with a cream formulation of triiodothyroacetic acid (TRIAC) in comparison with a placebo preparation in producing a reversal of skin atrophy induced by long-term employment of topical glucocorticoid therapy in humans. A total of 39 patients with clinically verified skin atrophy due to long-term use of topical potent glucocorticoids were randomized. The changes in skin thickness, elastic fibers, and hyaluronic acid were evaluated by means of sonography and histology. After 8 weeks' treatment, the skin thickness measured by sonography increased by 16% in the epidermis, 8% in the dermis, and epidermis + dermis in the placebo group. In the TRIAC 0.1% group, the corresponding values were 24% ( p=0.063) in the epidermis, 28% ( p=0.042) in the dermis, and 25% ( p=0.039) in the epidermis + dermis. After 8 weeks, in the placebo group, the skin thickness measured by biopsy increased by 5% in the epidermis, epidermis + dermis, and 6% in the dermis. In the TRIAC 0.1% group, the corresponding values were 31% ( p=0.041) in the epidermis, 46% ( p=0.041) in the dermis and 44% ( p=0.043) in the epidermis + dermis. After 8 weeks, the elastic fibers of moderately irregular and thickened fibers increased by 56% in the placebo group and 100% ( p=0.043) in the TRIAC 0.1 group. This study indicates that topical treatment with TRIAC appears to reverse glucocorticoid-induced skin atrophy under the narrow conditions tested.

Last edited:

TubZy

Thanks..what is the best source of the analogue? Is it in NDT?

OP
P

paymanz

Thanks..what is the best source of the analogue? Is it in NDT?

It is acetate form of t3 apparently and it has more affinity for receptors.

Tiratricol - Wikipedia
. Triiodothyroacetic acid is also a physiologic thyroid hormone that is present in the normal organism in low concentrations.
So probably can be found in low levels in NDT.

I don't think it does any that t3 can't do it.but I might be wrong.

Last edited:

TubZy

[QUOTE="TubZy, post: 261154, memTiratricol
]Thanks..what is the best source of the analogue? Is it in NDT?
[/QUOTE]

So it is in NDT or does that substance get filtered out? Reason I ask is peat claims topical NDT doesn't work.

OP
P

paymanz

@TubZy
I'm not sure, I edited my last post.

Probably its very low in NDT, but I'm not sure.I just read about it on wikipedia.

Terma

That's pretty neat (I got super thin skin, some absolutely caused by cortisol, some predates it, even though it's least of my concerns most of the time, I'd rather fix it). The 8 weeks measure is specially good to know, have to give it at least that long. No idea where to source that from, but I'm going to to use the rest of haidut's tyro* this way, although I wonder if the ethanol is maybe not ideal.

---

I bet TRIAC + topical aspirin would work even better. (even niacinamide but I can't do it because it absorbs too well into the blood and wrecks a whole day)

Last edited:

LeeLemonoil

Very exciting results actually, I think TRIA is optimal for skin-cream compared to Lio-T3, the acetic acid part lets it be easily incorporated into fatty creams.

LeeLemonoil

11beta-HSD inhibitors seem to modulate MMP expression and ratios also. Probably useful in eye-tissue as well.

yerrag

I have some atrophied skin left off from successfully administered hydrocortisone injections on my keloid scars. Would applying Tyromix fix the atrophy? I can try it. I don't know for sure, but I also noticed my keloid started to soften and lighten up when I applied topically Tyromix/Stress on/Progestene on the scar. I didn't get to continue the application, as my use of these hormones weren't intended for these scars, and I had reason to discontinue applying them. I couldn't tell either if simply using Tyromix would have the same effect.

LeeLemonoil

T3 only seems to be better suited given the study was conducted with TRIA. In theory if the atrophies are the results of hydrocortisone, TRIAC would work, T3 probabyl as well.

Have you tried derma-needling? Though if you tend to develop Keloids, that might not be an option. Perhaps after prolinged treatment of the atrophied areas wih T3 the tissue normalized and might thn be treated with needling.

yerrag

T3 only seems to be better suited given the study was conducted with TRIA. In theory if the atrophies are the results of hydrocortisone, TRIAC would work, T3 probabyl as well.

Have you tried derma-needling? Though if you tend to develop Keloids, that might not be an option. Perhaps after prolinged treatment of the atrophied areas wih T3 the tissue normalized and might thn be treated with needling.

Have never heard of it. Now that you mentioned it, I checked it out on Youtube. And yes, it would be risky for me to use as I'm keloidal. I'll try out the Tyromix, as it's the only T3 I've got, although Tyromix is 2:1 T4:T3. Where can TRIA be bought?

Also wondering how T3 works to normalize atrophied skin. Does the T3 cause the skin cells to transform from being energy-deficient to become fully functional and energy rich, such that stem cells are able to differentiate and form normal skin cells, and slowly dissolve or eat away the irregular atrophied tissues?

yerrag

@yerrag

I'd say that would be the mechanism that according to Peat's findings would normalize skin yes
I'm trying this out now with Tyromix, on both the atrophied skin as well as adjoining keloidal scars. I've take a picture of it, for a before and after comparison later on. I think that if the TRIA could normalize atrophic skin, it could also normalize keloidal skin, albeit with more time and patience.

OP
P

paymanz

Have never heard of it. Now that you mentioned it, I checked it out on Youtube. And yes, it would be risky for me to use as I'm keloidal. I'll try out the Tyromix, as it's the only T3 I've got, although Tyromix is 2:1 T4:T3. Where can TRIA be bought?

Also wondering how T3 works to normalize atrophied skin. Does the T3 cause the skin cells to transform from being energy-deficient to become fully functional and energy rich, such that stem cells are able to differentiate and form normal skin cells, and slowly dissolve or eat away the irregular atrophied tissues?
T3 energize cells , so it can start to have its function.

thyroid, which energizes the cells so that they use oxygen and produce a huge amount of energy. This energy allows the cells to realize their function

And Thyroid speeds up everything , construction and destruction of cells and tissue.

Also for sure co2 play a role for improved regeneration of skin when you apply t3 topically.

yerrag

Also for sure co2 play a role for improved regeneration of skin when you apply t3 topically.
Thinking of placing a bag of CO2 on top of the scars as well. Or better, since I have a carbogen generator coming, to be immersed in a CO2 bath. But that'll be around October, so I have time to just use the T3 fully without anything else.

yerrag

Due to my existing high blood pressure condition arising from lead toxicity in the kidney, I'm experiencing much higher blood pressure after applying a drop of Tyromix twice daily to my atrophic scars. I think the Tyromix is boosting my tissue oxygenation and metabolism. Normally, it would be a good thing. But it is making my kidney react by further constricting my blood vessels to counter the high tissue oxygenation, as hypoxia is needed to produce uric acid, to protect my kidney. Until my lead toxic condition is fixed, I'll have to discontinue with the Tyromix.

yerrag

Thanks for the very useful links. I'll get back to this thread when I get my other issues resolved. Seeing improvements in atrophic skin would be nice, considering how simple this approach is. What more if this method can be applied as well on keloids.

LeeLemonoil

11beta-HSd inhibitors that are suited for skincare that I've found so far:
Vitamin A, Niacinamide, Green Tea extract, DHEA, Emodin, and according to some posts in this thread

Cortisol inhibits metabolism in fat tissue

also some Citrus-Peel extracts and magnolia bark extract.

I've found a German skincare-ingredient supplier of a CO2-Extract of Magnolia designed for skincare. It's 48% Magnolol and Honokiol each in dry powder. @haidut do you know about these compounds since you seem to have used Magnolia-Extract before?

haidut

Forum Supporter
11beta-HSd inhibitors that are suited for skincare that I've found so far:
Vitamin A, Niacinamide, Green Tea extract, DHEA, Emodin, and according to some posts in this thread

Cortisol inhibits metabolism in fat tissue

also some Citrus-Peel extracts and magnolia bark extract.

I've found a German skincare-ingredient supplier of a CO2-Extract of Magnolia designed for skincare. It's 48% Magnolol and Honokiol each in dry powder. @haidut do you know about these compounds since you seem to have used Magnolia-Extract before?

I think Relora (which contains both of these) has been shown to lower cortisol in humans. But I don't know how safe these chemicals would be long term. Something like aspirin, which is also an 11b-HSD1 inhibitor, is probably safer for skin topical than these extracts.

Back
Top Bottom