Acne

jyb

Interesting about the diet change. So you eat mostly saturated fat and not much carbs anymore or is your diet just more mixed now? What does a day of eating look like for you? I don't drink milk or OJ even though I am going to try getting OJ back in my diet. My skin isn't that oily, in fact it's actually quite dry. I think maybe this could be the cause of the acne by my skin over compensating with more oil production but who knows? Wouldn't more retinol just dry out my face even worse?

My skin isn't oily either, if anything it is too dry rather than too oily. It used to be oily before my 20's, maybe it was the pufa, gluten or something. So I concluded visibly oily skin isn't the root cause of acne. A habit I did develop however is to avoid touching or washing the acne prone areas. For a shower or bath, only a gentle rinse in lukewarm water and gently drying. Definitely no soap. As for my diet. I eat however much carbs I feel is right to keep satisfied and stress low, but mostly glucose (so basically, starches). But I derive a lot of my energy from sat fat, so obviously I don't need as much carbs as on a low fat diet. I eat in such a way that I feel stable, ie I never experience stress from hunger during the day nor during the night. It wasn't the case before, when I had to eat every 2 hours to avoid major unstability and wake up with severe hunger (ie, elevated stress).

OP
E

EIRE24

My skin isn't oily either, if anything it is too dry rather than too oily. It used to be oily before my 20's, maybe it was the pufa, gluten or something. So I concluded visibly oily skin isn't the root cause of acne. A habit I did develop however is to avoid touching or washing the acne prone areas. For a shower or bath, only a gentle rinse in lukewarm water and gently drying. Definitely no soap. As for my diet. I eat however much carbs I feel is right to keep satisfied and stress low, but mostly glucose (so basically, starches). But I derive a lot of my energy from sat fat, so obviously I don't need as much carbs as on a low fat diet. I eat in such a way that I feel stable, ie I never experience stress from hunger during the day nor during the night. It wasn't the case before, when I had to eat every 2 hours to avoid major unstability and wake up with severe hunger (ie, elevated stress).

So you found a low fat diet more stressful? Yes, I feel even when I wash my face with just water it can get way too dry. I'm unsure whether to start moisturising to see if it makes a difference but I never used to have to do that before. Would the retinol dry out my face more then do you think? No?

jyb

So you found a low fat diet more stressful? Yes, I feel even when I wash my face with just water it can get way too dry. I'm unsure whether to start moisturising to see if it makes a difference but I never used to have to do that before. Would the retinol dry out my face more then do you think? No?

Retinol does not seem to dry my skin, unlike washing with soap. And I would take up to 50K per day for a few days, which is a high dose (although I doubt it is remotely close to toxicity). I cannot make generalisations about diet, only thing I know is that I improved a lot and that includes acne and stress for sure. A complete rethinking about the way I ate to address my outstanding problems was necessary.

OP
E

EIRE24

Retinol does not seem to dry my skin, unlike washing with soap. And I would take up to 50K per day for a few days, which is a high dose (although I doubt it is remotely close to toxicity). I cannot make generalisations about diet, only thing I know is that I improved a lot and that includes acne and stress for sure. A complete rethinking about the way I ate to address my outstanding problems was necessary.

Apart from increasing sat fat I'm still not sure what you changed in your diet? Is all your acne gone completely now?

jyb

Apart from increasing sat fat I'm still not sure what you changed in your diet? Is all your acne gone completely now?

I have no acne most months. My diet is different from a skimmed milk+OJ diet or from a conventional diet. They have almost nothing in common with the way I eat and view food.

hang loose

I have no acne most months. My diet is different from a skimmed milk+OJ diet or from a conventional diet. They have almost nothing in common with the way I eat and view food.
@jyb

Can you give an example of your current diet?

Have you supplemented with thyriod while taking doxy or the retinol?

OP
E

EIRE24

From my experience and what I've read, Acne is a systemic issue and its an issue that involves many of the aspects that Peat addresses; nutrients, thyroid, youth-associated hormones, estrogen excess, blood-sugar disregulation, endotoxin, autotomic systems, FFA's, and inflammation.

We are the same age and this is an issue I've seen huge improvments in, and I'll say that the product Solban gave me rapid improvments in acne and in scarring and I don't think it has the issues Hydrogen Peroxide can cause.

A quote that gets thrown around a lot is; "When people supplement thyroid and eat liver once or twice a week, their acne and dandruff (and many other problems) usually clear up very quickly.

To me this is the essence of Peat's method; ensure thyroid is working and that the building blocks (vitamin A) of the youth associated hormones are present so that thyroid can generate them. Liver alone won't solve the problem if thyroid isn't operating at the cellular level.

I think it's helpful to think of acne as systemic problem of dysfunction metabolism rather than an issue of the skin in isolation.

What's your waking an resting Temp/ Heart Rate?

What dose of solban were you using to see improvements in skin?

whodathunkit

I actually found that my acne started around the time I was consuming more liver.
Liver can have a deleterious effect on thyroid function. I crashed my thyroid once from eating too much raw liver. (I eat it raw like pills because I can't stand it no matter what, so I just cut it up very small and swallow since it's easier for me to get it over with that way). After doing some research I learned that liver, whether cooked or raw, can have a bad effect on thyroid. Especially if you're hypo to begin with. The more you eat, the worse it gets.

How much liver were you eating? Even if it wasn't a lot, if you were already hypo that could possibly be a culprit in what happened to you.

Are you supplementing with thyroid? Have you been taking your temps to see if you might need to supplement? Sorry if this has been covered already. I didn't realize how long this thread was. LOL

OP
E

EIRE24

Liver can have a deleterious effect on thyroid function. I crashed my thyroid once from eating too much raw liver. (I eat it raw like pills because I can't stand it no matter what, so I just cut it up very small and swallow since it's easier for me to get it over with that way). After doing some research I learned that liver, whether cooked or raw, can have a bad effect on thyroid. Especially if you're hypo to begin with. The more you eat, the worse it gets.

How much liver were you eating? Even if it wasn't a lot, if you were already hypo that could possibly be a culprit in what happened to you.

Are you supplementing with thyroid? Have you been taking your temps to see if you might need to supplement? Sorry if this has been covered already. I didn't realize how long this thread was. LOL

I wasnt eating massive doses. I was probably eating 100 grams twice a week. I havent actually began eating liver yet I am just supplementing vitamin A at the monent. I guess like you said taking temperature and pulse is a good indicator if it is helping or not. What way did raw liver make you crash and in what amounts were you eating it? I find that strange if you were consuming it with decent amount of carbs and calories

whodathunkit

I was probably eating 100 grams twice a week.
Half pound a week is probably a lot *if* you're already hypothyroid. I dunno, though. I'm no expert.

What way did raw liver make you crash and in what amounts were you eating it?
I started getting cold, lower energy, lower mood. I don't get skin symptoms from anything, though, so a lack of acne shouldn't be taken as a sign that this doesn't pertain to you. I've had maybe 10 real zits in my whole life so nothing really affects my skin. Wish the same was true of my hair.

Anyway, I actually had forgotten about this in connection with my failed attempt at Peat years ago, but I was eating liver also while doing a very high cal, full-fat version of Peat. It was in fact Danny Roddy's original recommendation from the first edition of HLAF, except with no thyroid. It's been so long ago it's hard to remember everything now, but that's what happened.

So I started researching everything I was doing and liver was one thing I researched. Found the liver:thyroid connection. Stopped the liver and I felt better almost immediately.

Incidentally, I'm getting ready to add some liver back into my regimen. Today, in fact. But no more than 0.25lb/100g once per week. And I'm also going to increase thyroid dosage on the days I eat it.

So liver was involved in my failed Peat attempt years ago, too. Whodathunkit? Or maybe I should say, Whodarememberedit? ;)

You might consider researching this angle to see if it pertains to you. And also tracking temps for a few days to see what they're doing. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
OP
E

EIRE24

Half pound a week is probably a lot *if* you're already hypothyroid. I dunno, though. I'm no expert.

I started getting cold, lower energy, lower mood. I don't get skin symptoms from anything, though, so a lack of acne shouldn't be taken as a sign that this doesn't pertain to you. I've had maybe 10 real zits in my whole life so nothing really affects my skin. Wish the same was true of my hair.

Anyway, I actually had forgotten about this in connection with my failed attempt at Peat years ago, but I was eating liver also while doing a very high cal, full-fat version of Peat. It was in fact Danny Roddy's original recommendation from the first edition of HLAF, except with no thyroid. It's been so long ago it's hard to remember everything now, but that's what happened.

So I started researching everything I was doing and liver was one thing I researched. Found the liver:thyroid connection. Stopped the liver and I felt better almost immediately.

Incidentally, I'm getting ready to add some liver back into my regimen. Today, in fact. But no more than 0.25lb/100g once per week. And I'm also going to increase thyroid dosage on the days I eat it.

So liver was involved in my failed Peat attempt years ago, too. Whodathunkit? Or maybe I should say, Whodarememberedit? ;)

You might consider researching this angle to see if it pertains to you. And also tracking temps for a few days to see what they're doing. Just my $0.02.

So you were doing high fat/low carb which was high calorie?

whodathunkit

So you were doing high fat/low carb which was high calorie?
No, I was doing high-fat version of Peat. High fat, high carb. Carbs from sugar and fruit, not starches.

OP
E

EIRE24

No, I was doing high-fat version of Peat. High fat, high carb. Carbs from sugar and fruit, not starches.

Ah I understand. Do you think it was the vitamin A that made you more hypo? I'm wondering as I am supplementing this for the acne now in a high enough dose

whodathunkit

Do you think it was the vitamin A that made you more hypo?
I wish I could remember. I don't.

BUT...I did a little bit of googling and found this article based on Peat:

http://beautyeditor.ca/2014/04/24/hormonal-acne-thyroid

Very enlightening, although some of it should probably be ignored, like some of the book recommendations. I've heard mixed reviews about "Stop the Thyroid Madness", for instance.

So it seems like too much vitamin A *if* you're already hypothyroid and/or live in a gloomy clime could be the culprit in your acne. Looks like vitamin A isn't entirely helpful unless the thyroid's already working fairly well. I dunno, though. This explanation does sound plausible to me and the article seems to be a reasonably well-done synthesis of Peat's thoughts.

OP
E

EIRE24

I wish I could remember. I don't.

BUT...I did a little bit of googling and found this article based on Peat:

http://beautyeditor.ca/2014/04/24/hormonal-acne-thyroid

Very enlightening, although some of it should probably be ignored, like some of the book recommendations. I've heard mixed reviews about "Stop the Thyroid Madness", for instance.

So it seems like too much vitamin A *if* you're already hypothyroid and/or live in a gloomy clime could be the culprit in your acne. Looks like vitamin A isn't entirely helpful unless the thyroid's already working fairly well. I dunno, though. This explanation does sound plausible to me and the article seems to be a reasonably well-done synthesis of Peat's thoughts.

Good article. I guess if you are eating enough then the vitamin A should not be a problem as thyroid will be running high. Maybe it is best to stick to around 10'000 IU today and not get too high. I actually don't feel too well at the higher dose anyway and that's around 25'000 IU. I get dizzy and stomach sickness.

Too much liver in one sitting does this to me also...I suddenly get very cold and tired. Unfortunately I happen to LOVE the way I cook liver (lots of onions and bacon) and I almost always overeat it when I make it. When I take the time to actually weigh out a portion of no more than 100 grams (which includes the onions and bacon), then I feel very good and super energized. The difference in quantity has a profound affect, you'd think I would learn my lesson.

I've had maybe 10 real zits in my whole life so nothing really affects my skin.

Pfffft....wench.

OP
E

EIRE24

Too much liver in one sitting does this to me also...I suddenly get very cold and tired. Unfortunately I happen to LOVE the way I cook liver (lots of onions and bacon) and I almost always overeat it when I make it. When I take the time to actually weigh out a portion of no more than 100 grams (which includes the onions and bacon), then I feel very good and super energized. The difference in quantity has a profound affect, you'd think I would learn my lesson.

Pfffft....wench.

Well I actually feel warm after taking the vitamin A supp with my meals. I guess this is a good thing. I will just track temps and pulse while taking supplements and if I feel tired and cold like you said that's obviously when I know I have overdone it

whodathunkit

Pfffft....wench.
Change the "w" to a "b" and the "e" to an "i" and the "n" to a "t", and that's pretty much what I've heard about my skin my whole life. :p Got lucky there on both sides of the family.

But I made up for it in hair loss, though, trust me. That's a whole other story. I almost killed myself because of it. Thankfully I've been over that level of obsession about my hair for a long time now. Interestingly, iodine therapy that improved thyroid function and gave me my first real metabolic boost is responsible for finally getting me past the grief about my hair. And now all this seems to be beneficially affecting it, although it's much too soon to say definitively. But I think the outer edges of my eyebrows are starting to recover, and the hair and my legs and pits seems to be growing faster and more of it than I've seen in a while. Hair on my scalp seems to be of better texture. Behaving a little better. Time will tell. </OT>

I guess if you are eating enough then the vitamin A should not be a problem as thyroid will be running high.
That is not necessarily what I got out of it.

My interpretation was that if you are hypothyroid that too much vitamin A will tank it further. But whether you may need a thyroid boost beyond diet...that's an individual thing. You're a young guy, so maybe not. But for us old ---ches...ha. We need all the help we can get. :D

OP
E

EIRE24

Change the "w" to a "b" and the "e" to an "i" and the "n" to a "t", and that's pretty much what I've heard about my skin my whole life. :p Got lucky there on both sides of the family.

But I made up for it in hair loss, though, trust me. That's a whole other story. I almost killed myself because of it. Thankfully I've been over that level of obsession about my hair for a long time now. Interestingly, iodine therapy that improved thyroid function and gave me my first real metabolic boost is responsible for finally getting me past the grief about my hair. And now all this seems to be beneficially affecting it, although it's much too soon to say definitively. But I think the outer edges of my eyebrows are starting to recover, and the hair and my legs and pits seems to be growing faster and more of it than I've seen in a while. Hair on my scalp seems to be of better texture. Behaving a little better. Time will tell. </OT>

That is not necessarily what I got out of it.

My interpretation was that if you are hypothyroid that too much vitamin A will tank it further. But whether you may need a thyroid boost beyond diet...that's an individual thing. You're a young guy, so maybe not. But for us old ---ches...ha. We need all the help we can get. :D

Interesting about the iodine. I'd love to know more.