Acid Reflux/Possible Hiatal Hernia

I am 29 and have been suffering from acid reflux like symptoms for several years now. My issues started from what I think was incorrect breathing, constantly tightening my abs and poor posture (something I’ve been dealing with my whole life). I’ve been trying to incorporate more Peaty foods in my diet to improve thyroid function, but many of these foods causes issues for me (coffee and OJ) as my acid reflux seems to worsen. Should I continue trying to consume these things or back off since they aren’t agreeing with me at the moment? Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated, kinda struggling on where to go at the moment with my dietary approach

Gustav3Y

Have you tied a bit of sodium bicarbonate and see how you feel after it? I mean you use OJ and already have high acidity you could try it in various doses.

OP
SatoshiPufamoto
Have you tied a bit of sodium bicarbonate and see how you feel after it? I mean you use OJ and already have high acidity you could try it in various doses.
Should I focus more on acid reduction in the diet or overall support of the thyroid? Hard to know the right approach

Gustav3Y

I was just asking if you maybe have tried it and how have you feel after, after all it is no big deal to try a couple of times a bit of sodium bicarbonate.
If you really have high acid reflux this can help instantly, unless you have already irritated greatly the area above the stomach.
You could at least try to reduce your acid consumption to see if it really related to that.
There is no focus regarding sodium bicarbonate to simplify.

Ellycat11

I am 29 and have been suffering from acid reflux like symptoms for several years now. My issues started from what I think was incorrect breathing, constantly tightening my abs and poor posture (something I’ve been dealing with my whole life). I’ve been trying to incorporate more Peaty foods in my diet to improve thyroid function, but many of these foods causes issues for me (coffee and OJ) as my acid reflux seems to worsen. Should I continue trying to consume these things or back off since they aren’t agreeing with me at the moment? Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated, kinda struggling on where to go at the moment with my dietary approach
I’ve dealt with GERD/reflux for over 6 years the only break I had was when I ate a fruit based diet for two years because my stomach digested fruits amazingly. But I started eating Peaty almost a year ago. Only a few months ago I got my thyroid tested and turns out I’m hypo which I suspected based on temperature. My dad who also dealt with GERD is also hypo but the doctors told him it was h pylori and I guess antibiotics fixed it. Coming from fruitarianism I could not digest these dense Peaty foods. Basically I’ve been putting my digestive system through the ringer. A few months ago I found a Lassi recipe from Dr K of Healthy Gamer on YT who helps his patients using Ayurveda. Recipe: 1/3 whole fat plain yogurt (no sugars), 2/3 water, 1/2 tsp of salt and cumin, then all mixed into a drink and taken in the morning. Within a week my nightly reflux was virtually gone. I started slacking for a month and my reflux came back so I’m remaking it a habit again. Cool side effect of drinking Lassi though was my nails got incredibly strong, they were flimsy and shapeless before. I’m really hoping taking thyroid is going to help in the future as well. Along with the thyroid I’ve seen recc’d by someone Peaty I follow on IG to make eggshell powder(calcium carbonate) for thyroid, (they use it in their thyroid formula). Also discovered a spine centered program called Flobility that teaches how to create intra abdominal pressure so that you’re not chest breathing, fixing rib cage flare, anterior pelvic tilt which I think may ultimately help HH since everyone with HH is a chest breather.