Acetazolamide

kiran

I've taken 3 of them so far, and it has normalized my IBS (possibly in combination with ondansetron, which I've been taking a little longer) like nothing else. It's a peaty miracle! Maybe.

My bowel movement frequency has come down to once a day, which is nice.

OTOH now I worry that my IBS was in response to some gut infection which has potential to cause more harm now.

Ray-Z

kiran said:
I've taken 3 of them so far, and it has normalized my IBS (possibly in combination with ondansetron, which I've been taking a little longer) like nothing else. It's a peaty miracle! Maybe.

Great news, Kiran. I hope you continue to get good results.

BTW, before this Peaty miracle, was loose stool your primary symptom of IBS, or did you also experience constipation sometimes? Just trying to understand the results of your experiment...

OP
kiran

kiran

Loose stool was the symptom. Constipation only when I ate basmati rice for some reason.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Kiran, things still improving with the Acetazolamide? I am considering ordering it. Any other improvements that you noticed?

Also, how much are you taking?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
BTW, I just found this on the page I was looking to order Acetazolamide:

What medications interact with Diamox?
Several medications interact with Diamox and should either not be taken while you are taking Diamox or only after discussion and instruction from your doctor:
Drugs that cause a serious reaction with Diamox: aspirin or other salicylates
Drugs that affect Diamox: aspirin or other salicylates

OP
kiran

kiran

Thanks for pointing that out Charlie!
I usually check that interactions thingy, but hadn't thought of plugging in aspirin.

I'm taking 250mg diamox and 162 mg aspirin daily.
Or was. I may have to rethink this.

kettlebell

kiran said:
I usually check that interactions thingy, but hadn't thought of plugging in aspirin.

Because it makes the body retain a lot of co2 it will have a lot of the same benefits of aspirin so its probably worth dropping the aspirin for a bit to be safe.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
kiran said:

You are welcome. :)

I definitely am going to stop aspirin when I take the Acetazolimde.

I know its still early in your dosing, but anymore positive effects come up? Negative also?

kettlebell said:
Its dirt cheap too! Im getting on board

Yep, my order is going in tonight!

OP
kiran

kiran

Well, I drank a beer, and that triggered my IBS. Either my gut is super-sensitive, or it knows that this stuff is bad for me. :P

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Oh wow, sorry to hear that!

astral

what about buying co2 canisters for gun or beer tanks?
could I use co2 in place of carbon dioxide?

OP
kiran

kiran

astral said:
what about buying co2 canisters for gun or beer tanks?
could I use co2 in place of carbon dioxide?
er, um, co2 is the same as carbon dioxide.

Ray-Z

I used acetazolamide for a few days (250-500 mg/day) and did not observe significant effects, save perhaps for some mild euphoria the first time I tried it.

I usually take around 2000 mg of aspirin per day, but stopped (on the basis of Charlie's warning) when I tried acetazolamide. Thus, rather than testing the effects of acetazolamide, I was really testing the effects of (temporarily) eliminating aspirin and adding acetazolamide. And we know that aspirin is good stuff. So perhaps I am being unfair to poor little acetazolamide. :(

jaakkima

Any update on what happened with this kiran?
A component of my condition, which is primarily gut-bowel symptoms/irritation/inflammation, is constant hyperventilation/feeling short of breath. My CO2 lab results were interpreted as normal by the doctor, but I am interested in what this drug does and why it may have helped you.

OP
kiran

kiran

Acetazolamide didn't help me much, so I stopped it.

From personal experience, I recommend jello with every meal.

Hmm, Is that anything like being asthmatic?

jaakkima

It's not anything like being asthmatic, as I have had chronic asthma - as a child, and I haven't had it for years.

I keep having issues with jello I think. It's so complicated for me to find out what's causing problems.