Acetazolamide inhibits urinary bladder cancers

Mauritio

"Carbonic anhydrases (CAs) play an important role in maintaining pH homeostasis. We previously demonstrated that overexpression of CA2 was associated with invasion and progression of urothelial carcinoma (UC) in humans. The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the effects of the CA inhibitor acetazolamide (Ace) on N-butyl-N-(4-hydroxybutyl)nitrosamine (BBN)-induced bladder carcinogenesis in mice and explore the function of CA2 in muscle invasion by UC. Male mice were treated with 0.025% (experiment 1) or 0.05% BBN (experiment 2) in their drinking water for 10 weeks, then treated with cisplatin (Cis), Ace, or Cis plus Ace for 12 weeks. In experiment 1, the overall incidence of BBN-induced UCs was significantly decreased in the BBN→Ace and BBN→Cis+Ace groups. In experiment 2, the overall incidence of BBN-induced UCs was significantly decreased in the BBN→Cis+Ace group, and the incidence of muscle invasive UC was significantly decreased in both the BBN→Ace and the BBN→Cis+Ace groups. We also show that overexpression of CA2 by human UC cells T24 and UMUC3 significantly increased their migration and invasion capabilities, and that Ace significantly inhibited migration and invasion by CA2-overexpressing T24 and UMUC3 cells. These data demonstrate a functional association of CA2 with UC development and progression, confirming the association of CA2 with UC that we had shown previously by immunohistochemical analysis of human UC specimens and proteome analysis of BBN-induced UC in rats. Our finding that inhibition of CA2 inhibits UC development and muscle invasion also directly confirms that CA2 is a potential therapeutic target for bladder cancers.

Rafe

My hands did tingle a few times when I took acetazolamide in the first 5 yrs of doing peat-type things. Turns out over time I needed much smaller doses & should not ever take it with aspirin.

Now I break the capsule & a few beads do the job. It’s probably 25mg or less.

That study is good news. TY for posting that @Mauritio

mostlylurking

Thiamine also is a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor:
It helps bladder function in other ways too:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals