Acetazolamide As A Diuretic?

ReneeAnn

Hi! I'm new to RP, but loving what I'm learning. I started at the first Danny Roddy podcast and am about 2/3 of the way through and learning so much!

My husband has high blood pressure and is on Amlodipine Besylate/Benazepril HCL 5-40 mg and Hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg as a diuretic. Hadiut said on one of the podcasts that he didn't like most diuretics, but if you need one Acetazolamide is a good one. Since it was a podcast, I just wanted to confirm that I heard the right med and ask for any comments or advice. Thanks in advance.

keith

Bump to @haidut who is probably best equipped to answer.

OP
ReneeAnn

ReneeAnn

Thank you! I see I misspelled his name and didn't know the @ worked here.

keith

Thank you! I see I misspelled his name and didn't know the @ worked here.
This is the only forum I've ever posted on, so still learning the ropes myself :)

OP
ReneeAnn

ReneeAnn

This is the only forum I've ever posted on, so still learning the ropes myself :)

It's been years since I've been in a forum and forgot how it works. Where's the "like" button?! Lol

Dopamine

Yes Acetazolamide "Diamox" is a diuretic. I took it when I went to Everest Base Camp. I had no side effects except I needed to drink more fluids and was peeing a lot.

Vitamin B1 (thiamine) can probaly be used instead of acetazolamide as they have some similar actions. Check out this thread:
Thiamine Is A Carbonic Anhydrase Inhibitor As Effective As Acetazolamide

sweetpeat said:
"Would taking thiamine at those levels also have a diuretic effect similar to acetazolamide?"

Haidut said:
"IF it does indeed inhibit carbonic anhydrase, then yes, it will have diuretic effect. Acetazolamide is a diuretic due to the increase in CO2, which extracts water from the cells and sends to the kidneys to excrete together with bicarbonate."

OP
ReneeAnn

ReneeAnn

Thanks, @Dopamine! I have some thiamine here and will see if I can get him to take his blood pressure often enough to experiment. Do you have any idea about dosage and frequency for that purpose, or just go by the instructions on bottle?

OP
ReneeAnn

ReneeAnn

Never mind! I'm seeing dosing answers in the thread you gave me. Feel free to weigh in on your dosage if you want.

Dopamine

Welcome to the forum by the way! :)

I would probaly start with 100mg 3-4x per day. Then increase to 300mg 3-4x per day if needed. Then 600mg 3-4x per day. Then 900mg 3-4x per day. Increase by 200 or 300 mg. I would max out at 1500mg 3-4x per day if needed.

He may not be able to go completely off his other medications but if things improve he could perhaps lower the dosage of his meds (if its safe to do so of course and consult a doctor).

OP
ReneeAnn

ReneeAnn

Thank you, thank you!! Yes, we have an open minded MD, so we will experiment with this.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hi! I'm new to RP, but loving what I'm learning. I started at the first Danny Roddy podcast and am about 2/3 of the way through and learning so much!

My husband has high blood pressure and is on Amlodipine Besylate/Benazepril HCL 5-40 mg and Hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg as a diuretic. Hadiut said on one of the podcasts that he didn't like most diuretics, but if you need one Acetazolamide is a good one. Since it was a podcast, I just wanted to confirm that I heard the right med and ask for any comments or advice. Thanks in advance.

Are you familiar with the research on taurine and blood pressure? If not, I'd suggest searching for "taurine blood pressure" on the forum or the internet. I doubt even acetazolamide can be as effective as taurine for that issue. Blood pressure is very rarely an issue that diuretics can fix, in fact they can be dangerous. Acetazolamide is probably OK, bu taurine is a true blood pressure drug as it is an angiotensin II inhibitor similar to drugs like losartan and telmisartan, and those are the best blood pressure drugs on the market right now. Google both and you will see.

OP
ReneeAnn

ReneeAnn

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! I'll research it.

Back
Top Bottom