Acceptable Dress Shoes?

OceanSpray

Being overdressed can disqualify you from a job probably even more easily then being underdressed. I say that as a hiring manager with a staff of 40.

That said, those shoes at the top are atrocious, and would only be suitable for a security guard interview, if you’re expected to start the shift right after.

I work for a financial institution of 1400 people, and perhaps 10 max wear a tie. And it’s not the top management either.

I think this is a much safer look, at this day and age:

35D8CAD2-23A3-4FC1-9557-A59B6BB62D75.jpeg

Especially for an engineer, if I recall correctly.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Yeah I ended up getting oxfords. Not the shoes I originally posted. Here is what I got

upload_2019-8-13_13-33-20.png

Comfortable Dress Shoes, Casual Shoes, and Boots

If someone wants to tell me that I didn't spend enough and that I should get $300 shoes just because, then well, I don't know how to put this nicely, so I'll just kindly tell them to go screw themselves. That's like my ex that wanting a $14,000 ring because "she deserves it". That's how you know you found a toxic work environment, just like finding a toxic significant other.

(Just in case it wasn't clear, I'm all for dressing well. Getting a nice haircut. Putting on nice cologne/taking a nice bath before. Not having visible tattoos. All of that stuff. But the difference between $100 dress shoes and $300 dress shoes is almost zero, and only a truly snobbish employer would care about the difference). Unless you're planning to be the guy that visits a lot of presidents and other bigwigs, and/or you're the CEO of a company. I mean, that's different. But otherwise? Meh.

Last edited:

OceanSpray

Yeah I actually had a pretty good day today. I think I'm onto something with calorie timing (50% at breakfast, 30% at lunch, 20% at dinner). I was doing something more like 20% at breakfast, 30% at lunch, and 50% at dinner and wondered why I always felt like **** during the day and manic in the evenings. It's clear and obvious when I look at it in this lens lol

I absolutely believe improved metabolism and wealth is a pretty strong correlation. On the anabolic men forums I used to post on, this one guy said he went from low end office monkey to CEO. I believe it. Being high energy is massive to your overall well-being. Also we see here that lots of people getting healthy are starting to make their own businesses also. Haidut is a prime example, he owns a big supplement company now and frequently does interviews with various people. It's obvious to me that my own companys' CEO is ultra high energy. He looks great, athletic, always vibrant, energetic, full of life, crystal clear talking patterns, extremely good with people, etc etc etc.

Cirion, you’d massively improve your chances by losing weight. More so than anything else. Fat guys have it much harder in just about every aspect of life, job chances and opportunities included. So do bald guys, but a little less so. It’s brutally unfair, but that’s how it is. But I guess you know that. But what that means is that you don’t want lower your already impaired odds with shitty shoes. Maybe a fit guy could get away with them, but a fat duffus is not the impression you want leave behind.

To be honest, those boots are not suitable for absolutely anything.

Wish you good luck at the interview. Though trust me, those low six digits are way overrated. I think I read somewhere that the thrill stops at something like 70-80 grand a year, from then on it’s pretty meh, unless you start approaching 7 digits.

tygertgr

So much ridiculous shallowness and double standards.

It's not "shallow," it's hard won experience and observation. If somebody looks like a slob there are many negative things you can fairly reliably predict about them.

It's not a "double" standard because it's just as applicable to businesses and organizations from the perspective of being a customer or potential employee/partner.

If you're careful about avoiding obese people dressed in rags you can avoid wasting a lot of time and effort in many endeavors.

OceanSpray

Yeah I ended up getting oxfords. Not the shoes I originally posted. Here is what I got

View attachment 14300

Comfortable Dress Shoes, Casual Shoes, and Boots

If someone wants to tell me that I didn't spend enough and that I should get $300 shoes just because, then well, I don't know how to put this nicely, so I'll just kindly tell them to go screw themselves. That's like my ex that wanting a $14,000 ring because "she deserves it". That's how you know you found a toxic work environment, just like finding a toxic significant other.

(Just in case it wasn't clear, I'm all for dressing well. Getting a nice haircut. Putting on nice cologne/taking a nice bath before. Not having visible tattoos. All of that stuff. But the difference between $100 dress shoes and $300 dress shoes is almost zero, and only a truly snobbish employer would care about the difference). Unless you're planning to be the guy that visits a lot of presidents and other bigwigs, and/or you're the CEO of a company. I mean, that's different. But otherwise? Meh.

It’s meh, but safe.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Cirion, you’d massively improve your chances by losing weight. More so than anything else. Fat guys have it much harder in just about every aspect of life, job chances and opportunities included. So do bald guys, but a little less so. It’s brutally unfair, but that’s how it is. But I guess you know that. But what that means is that you don’t want lower your already impaired odds with shitty shoes. Maybe a fit guy could get away with them, but a fat duffus is not the impression you want leave behind.

To be honest, those boots are not suitable for absolutely anything.

Wish you good luck at the interview. Though trust me, those low six digits are way overrated. I think I read somewhere that the thrill stops at something like 70-80 grand a year, from then on it’s pretty meh, unless you start approaching 7 digits.

Like I say, don't need the job. So, I'll put forth as much effort as this is worth to me. Maybe I won't get it. That's honestly OK with me.

You're right about being fat. But I've stopped caring about it. Losing weight is not the end all be all. My goal is metabolism. Which will correct the weight anyway. But that's a topic for another thread, not this one.

For me, the increased income simply means I can accelerate my early retirement plans, that's all. I fully realize the small amount of buying power increase it provides is nothing to get too excited about, but when you use it to invest, all of a sudden it is quite nice to get a little boost since you start making that money work for you.

Anyway, many of the comments in this thread make me all the more excited to leave the workforce in early retirement. It's amazing how shallow mankind is, even on these forums. Employers think they are chosen by God to rule over employees. It's disgusting really. Employers really do prey on people "who need the job".

Employers just want nice, subservient, obedient employees who toe the line and don't rock the boat and do what they're told. It's the truth. That's why it's nice that I don't need the job. I can just interview around and if I get it I get it, and if I don't I don't. I think employers just hate people who actually speak their mind and actually have the luxury of not being desperate lol. Same thing in the dating world for that matter. Lots of guys are try-hard in the dating world, and desperate for "any" girl to want them. Just like in the dating world, you win in the professional world ultimately doing the same thing in the long run, having abundant options, not desperate for the job, negotiating on your terms etc etc.

Last edited:

OceanSpray

Being shallow and vain is a natural human trait. Everybody has to deal with that fact.

But regarding your last sentence, I guess it depends on what job market you’re in. In highly qualified fields the dynamics are very balanced.

Last edited:
OP
Cirion

Cirion

Being shallow and vain is a natural human trait. Everybody has to deal with that fact.

But regarding your last sentence, I guess it depend on what job market you’re in. In highly qualified fields the dynamics is very balanced.

Yeah I mean you are right ultimately, and I know that's true. It is one reason why I'm not dating currently. I know that being fat makes me undesirable. But honestly? I don't care. Dating is over-rated too. My ex showed this to me, that's the one thing I have to thank her for. I'm perfectly happy being single for the time being while I meet more important goals I have set for myself.

..... Anyway, I can tell this thread is degrading into un-helpful discussions, so I'm gonna bow out.

Thanks all for the shoe suggestions, I appreciate it guys!

Amazoniac

I have no fashion sense.
I can tell, but so doesn't Ocean "Wannabe Fashionista" Spray, everything posted here is zo 2018. The modern man wear shoes that are empowering and make you stand out. Ocean is clearly adrift in his fashion sense and not up-to-date with Vogue's runway color trends for 2019, the least he could do is to bet on a black or white classic like the model that I propose:

upload_2019-8-13_16-42-55.png

I know some people will think that it's gay, but it's how you wear it, we need to move past prejudice and gender preconceptions. Helloo, 2019.

Last edited:
OP
Cirion

Cirion

haha thanks @Amazoniac you always know how to bring the humor to threads.

Taotatoes

The first shoes are nice, but definitely not interview shoes. They're more like "going to the dog park to pick up women" shoes... and honestly you'd be very limited in what you could actually wear with them (they're best suited for wear with baggy cargo shorts or jeans with a tight ankle taper).

As for the outfit choice I agree you should do the dress casual rather than the suggestion to do "I'm a showy douchenozzle" by overdressing. Save the expensive digs for networking events and black tie holiday parties.

Good luck!

OP
Cirion

Cirion

I think you made a good choice with the shoes!

Thanks--

The first shoes are nice, but definitely not interview shoes. They're more like "going to the dog park to pick up women" shoes... and honestly you'd be very limited in what you could actually wear with them (they're best suited for wear with baggy cargo shorts or jeans with a tight ankle taper).

As for the outfit choice I agree you should do the dress casual rather than the suggestion to do "I'm a showy douchenozzle" by overdressing. Save the expensive digs for networking events and black tie holiday parties.

Good luck!

douchenozzle haha that's funny! My thoughts exactly. Yeah I realize now the oxford was the right choice to go with and I do admit in hindsight thinking the OP shoes would pass was silly. I just hate "traditional" dress shoes because of horribly uncomfortable they are. And for women its even worse, high heels are literally the most unhealthy shoes you can wear for your feet lol

Last edited:

Taotatoes

Ohockport shoes are a work staple for sure,
Thanks--

douchenozzle haha that's funny! My thoughts exactly. Yeah I realize now the oxford was the right choice to go with and I do admit in hindsight thinking the OP shoes would pass was silly. I just hate "traditional" dress shoes because of horribly uncomfortable they are. And for women its even worse, high heels are literally the most unhealthy shoes you can wear for your feet lol

Exactly! Life's hard enough as it is, why do people self abuse by wearing uncomfortable shoes?! Rockport does make awesome heels though, like walking on pillows!!

OceanSpray

The first shoes are nice, but definitely not interview shoes. They're more like "going to the dog park to pick up women" shoes...

I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t be picking up any women in those. Not live ones anyway. Unless you mean pick up as an Uber driver, in which case those shoes must a furnace hell for driving. Or for anything else for that matter.

Amazoniac

I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t be picking up any women in those. Not live ones anyway. Unless you mean pick up as an Uber driver, in which case those shoes must a furnace hell for driving. Or for anything else for that matter.
Guru, that was already a woman's approval. And what about Marilyn Manson? There are various random guys like him with insanely pretty girlfriends on the streets. I don't know if you live in a corporative bubble, but your speech is quite normative.

Telling someone that's overweight that they have less opportunities in life, therefore not being able to afford more slips, is adding unnecessary stress to what they perceive without your help.
you don’t want lower your already impaired odds with shitty shoes
Maybe a fit guy could get away with them, but a fat duffus is not the impression you want leave behind.

This is the actual mindset that can undermine success by affecting bigger decisive factors at play. Sometimes even after losing weight, they'll have to get over the trauma from this sort of negativity that's thrown at them. It's not that they're lazy after all, it's a stressful condition to begin with. I heard that whenever someone does this kind of thing to an overweight person, the brain is put between two sumo wrestlers to absorb the shock until the empathy part is restored from malfunctioning.

OceanSpray

Life is hard, brutally unfair, with negativity everywhere. Everything I said is factual and obvious, I just didn’t sugarcoat it. The tragic predominance and normality of being fat in America is largely a result of this silly tippy toeing and this fake empathy.

Amazoniac

Life is hard, brutally unfair, with negativity everywhere. Everything I said is factual and obvious, I just didn’t sugarcoat it. The tragic predominance and normality of being fat in America is largely a result of this silly tippy toeing and this fake empathy.
Life is tough and you make it tougher? If it's obvious, why are you bringing it up? Ironically, the american in question here has a log that tracks meticulwfaoiosuaruly various aspects of his life being geared towards weight loss. Justifying such behavior as a favor to the other is as classic as wearing black and white, it's just an excuse not to put yourself in others' position and continue to be careless about how what you say impacts them.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals