Absorption Of Vitamin K

Vinero

I'm still confused about the need for dietary fat when taking vitamin K2.
I've seen reports from people just using a drop of Thorne under their tongue without fat/food, and also seen comments from people saying all fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) are only absorped if you have them with a lot of fat.
Anyone knows more about this issue?

Also, those of you who are taking K2, do you feel anything from it?

pboy

it makes it more efficient but isn't entirely necessary....don't have personal experience with K, but I know with vitamin A...its about 2-3x more efficient when taken with fat, but still gets partially absorbed without any. The thing is...by nature, the vitamins are within a fat...im pretty sure they have to be, its only mcg amounts usually, sometimes mg, but even something like lettuce with vitamin K has some fat in it, even if only like 0.5g fat, the amount vit K is in micro grams. If you are getting all your fat solubles from one main meal or a supplement, a little fat, even a tsp about 5g or so is enough to trigger some bile and get an efficient absorption. If you have an abundance of fat solubles in the diet spread throughout the day youll be fine without adding extra fat. I think this applies more to vit a than even k, or e

pboy

I just came across this by chance
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8813897

so it seems vit K bound in vegetable membrane is not very bioavailable, and the butter added significantly increased its absorption. The supplemental form was at least 1.5x easier absorbed...so it seems though our actual requirement is very low, its probably not very bioavailable unless its from a fat source itself, like butter, or a supplement, or you should eat more than recommened vegetable vitamin K. Some fruits actually have vit K, and id suspect they would be easier to absorb than from spinach (used in the study) but probably not as easy as the butter

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals