About To Start Finasteride. Big Mistake?

serling78

So for the past couple years I've noticed a seriously receding and thinning hairline. It's been progressing more lately so I freaked out and got a prescription for Finasteride. Is this a huge mistake?

The mainstream information Seem to say only 2-6% of men experience sexual side effects, but on these and other boards the percentage seems to be way way higher. So who is correct? I don't know how to make an informed decision, but from reading about post finasteride symptoms I don't know if I can afford to risk testing it out.

I also lift on a regular basis and wouldn't want to start losing the ability to put on muscle.

So I'm just lost and confused. I know a lot of guys can easily pull off being bald, but with my skin tone, build, and head shape I just don't think it would look good and I would feel very self conscious.

Appreciate any helpful info. Thanks

Ashoka

Well let me put it this way. I took it 6 years ago and it’s been a defining experience in my life in making my life worse and dystopian than it ever needed to be. I also disregarded the dangers and it exploded in my face in the most devastating way. I think even people’s lives it doesn’t ruin, it probably slowly hurts them in imperceptible, pernicious ways.

Figure out another sane way of solving your issue. Disregard with confidence any idiot that downplays the risk. There are plenty of other ways that we know now in 2020 that actually get to the root of the problem.

redsun

So for the past couple years I've noticed a seriously receding and thinning hairline. It's been progressing more lately so I freaked out and got a prescription for Finasteride. Is this a huge mistake?

The mainstream information Seem to say only 2-6% of men experience sexual side effects, but on these and other boards the percentage seems to be way way higher. So who is correct? I don't know how to make an informed decision, but from reading about post finasteride symptoms I don't know if I can afford to risk testing it out.

I also lift on a regular basis and wouldn't want to start losing the ability to put on muscle.

So I'm just lost and confused. I know a lot of guys can easily pull off being bald, but with my skin tone, build, and head shape I just don't think it would look good and I would feel very self conscious.

There a lot of resources about using certain supplements for reducing DHT or reducing its effects on the scalp etc... and possible science behind it. For example some suggest that zinc works similar to fin by affecting NADPH (which is what fin does). There are also many other options, I would look for all these more "natural" routes to help your hair out and avoid these possibly very damaging drugs by trying everything else that could help out first.

And then if you want to and completely understand the risks and accept permanent damage that the drug could possibly induce, go for it.

OP
S

serling78

Well let me put it this way. I took it 6 years ago and it’s been a defining experience in my life in making my life worse and dystopian than it ever needed to be. I also disregarded the dangers and it exploded in my face in the most devastating way. I think even people’s lives it doesn’t ruin, it probably slowly hurts them in imperceptible, pernicious ways.

Figure out another sane way of solving your issue. Disregard with confidence any idiot that downplays the risk. There are plenty of other ways that we know now in 2020 that actually get to the root of the problem.

Ugh sorry to hear about your experience. How long did you take it? I've seen people saying merely taking one 1mg pill messed them up for years which seems really hard to believe.

lampofred

Unfortunately ironically I think the same thing that causes hair loss (cellular hypoxia from PUFA/iron/estrogen excess) is what increases sensitivity to the side effects of finasteride. Someone who is not losing hair won't notice negative effects from it but the more rapidly you are losing hair the greater the potential finasteride has to harm you.

Depleting PUFA and iron, avoiding fat in general, eating fructose and calcium, getting vitamin D and red light and coffee, basically restoring glucose oxidation is really the only main way I think to reverse cellular hypoxia.

Last edited:

Dobbler

There are thousands of stories of PFS (post finasteride syndrome) and how it ruined peoples lives. Go read it yourself, it can totally destroy you physically and mentally. That stuff is straight up poison with no benefits what so ever. Taking it is one of the stupidest thing you can do. Go watch Danny Roddys youtube videos about hairloss, he has alot of great info. And be a ******* man and shave your head if it gets bad looking... no disrespect , just saying. Taking anti-androgens for hairloss is some p**** sh*t. Again, no disrespect.

Ashoka

Ugh sorry to hear about your experience. How long did you take it? I've seen people saying merely taking one 1mg pill messed them up for years which seems really hard to believe.

I took it for a couple months, but honestly I felt the damage rather immediately. I can hardly believe it as well. But the proof is there. Many people have taken a single dose or less than a week’s worth and ended up with persistent nonsense. Instead of worrying about your hair for a moment, which I admit is a valid concern to have, take a moment to appreciate your brain, which is likely operating normally, that you have emotions and don’t feel entirely emotionally dead, and that your penis works. That’s everything you stand to lose.

OP
S

serling78

There are thousands of stories of PFS (post finasteride syndrome) and how it ruined peoples lives. Go read it yourself, it can totally destroy you physically and mentally. That stuff is straight up poison with no benefits what so ever. Taking it is one of the stupidest thing you can do. Go watch Danny Roddys youtube videos about hairloss, he has alot of great info. And be a ******* man and shave your head if it gets bad looking... no disrespect , just saying. Taking anti-androgens for hairloss is some p**** sh*t. Again, no disrespect.

No disrespect taken. Appreciate the candor

meatbag

Did you read Danny Roddy's book yet?
The Danny Roddy Weblog

Have you gotten any labs to see whats going on? Temps and pulse, etc?
Bioidentical progesterone is also available to and doesn't carry the same sides

victormgc

I took it for a couple years, started when I was 19. I honestly didn't get much side effects, aside from watery semen and some social anxiety. I wouldn't recommend it though, and the reason is very simple: it won't solve your problem. It might keep the hair you have for a little longer, but you will continue to be self conscious about it, even more because the drug will lower your self esteem. Add up the chance to go through PFS, and it just isn't worth it.

If I were you, I would try to stop the recession naturally first. The one thing I am sure about baldness is that it happens when something is not working well. There is a lot of information in the forum about it, lots of things to try. Look at yourself, your lifestyle and habits. What is wrong? When did the thinning start? What triggered it back then? Did you solve it already?

I haven't found those answers for myself yet, but I'm not done yet. Good look with whatever path you follow.

Maui96

Same as every one here, I don't think it's worth it. I think 2-6% chance of sides is way understated. I saw a podcast recently with Tristan Hope and baldcafe and apparently Tristan's doc a renowned dermatologist in New York strongly advised him against using finasteride, saying an ongoing study found that most of its users developped persistent sexual and or fertility issues. Watch @ 6:52