About 40% Of People With Severe Depression Recover Naturally And Completely

haidut

Forum Supporter
This study combined with the one I just posted on the dangers of SSRI should make anyone seriously think about what (if any) drug to consider for depression. It reminds me of the study that 80% of the people with "severe" addiction recover on their own completely and do not need any drugs or therapy. The other good news is that the length of depression had no effect on ability to recover. I guess it supports Ray's statement that even severely depressed/distressed animals were able to quickly recover after they saw another animal "escape" the difficult situation they were in.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-06-depressed-adults-happy-flourishing.html

"...A new study reports that approximately two in five adults (39%) who have experienced major depression are able to achieve complete mental health. Researchers consider complete mental health as occurring when people achieve almost daily happiness or life satisfaction, positive social and psychological well-being, and are also free of depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts and substance abuse for at least one full year."

"...Social support was a major factor associated with complete mental health. "Formerly depressed adults who had emotionally supportive and close relationships were four times more likely to report complete mental health than those without such relationships. Having at least one trusted friend was critical to cultivating complete mental health," said co-author Mercedes Bern-Klug, Associate Professor and Director of the Aging Studies Program at the University of Iowa. The study's authors were surprised to learn that the length of the depressive episode had no bearing on an individual's ability to attain complete mental health. Those whose longest depressive episode lasted more than two years were just as likely to be in complete mental health as those who had had the disorder for only one month. "In other words, there is no need for individuals and families to lose hope that a full recovery is beyond reach" reported co-author Senyo Agbeyaka, a Masters in Social Work student at the University of Toronto."

Makrosky

Great @haidut, thank you very much. This really makes sense under a Peat view and fits great with what I was telling @Xisca in the learned helplessness thread. Past is not so important. In fact, it's a trap.

@Greg says you might be interested in that as well.

Last edited:

Xisca

Of course, past is a trap if you considere the story.
But activation and the freeze over it is there, and something is past for the body when the activation that was triggered is gone.
Hence this impression that past stays. It is not the past, it is sympathic activation.

Now if you have a look at the polyvagal theory of stephen porges, the dorso-vagal is responsable for freeze, and the vago-ventral responsible for social engagement.
One counter the other, so you can guess what we all know, that this study is right and not surprising! Social engagement in all its forms is what make people go out of freeze, or not go into it as fast.

Then, there are a lot of spontaneous de-activations that can occur thanks to this support (I do not say help, which is more in acts than the energy I mean with the word support). Look even at what people do after a goal in football!

It is all spontaneous, but can be enhanced when something does not go back to normal as it should. That is for the 60% may be... The support they talk about in this study is a big part of what is used in Somatic experiencing.

Rafe

This study, plus David Healy's book Pharmageddon on fraud in pharmaceutical research, really puts the lid on any lingering doubts about the dangers of SSRIs and the usefulness of humane care. He's a psychiatrist & expert witness & he reserves special concern for children treated with strong drugs.
Just a tidbit, he found that children on Medicaid (US state health services for the poor) are 4 times more likely to be prescribed antipsychotics than other kids. This is a book for your Peaty library.
I see him as kind of like RP in the presentation of his arguments. His outrage is very controlled & he directs it into a complete analysis that exposes insanity in the industry top to bottom. Ignore the silly title. I haven't been able to put it down for 3 days.
It goes well with what haidut is talking about here & the other SSRI threads.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals