ABG Help (two Different Values Given)

Elliphant

I had an abg done and need help understanding why it was measured twice and what value do I trust to be the more correct one. Especially since a couple measurements were very different

ABG w vent & Coox order
Arterial
Allen - Positive
Temp - 37.0 on both

I will list the measurements with the what i think to be highly different values

PH
7.44 - 7.41

p02

HCO3

ABG % Sat

Carboxyhemoglobin

FI02

Which value do I trust more?
I'm trying to interpret my results

Thanks in advance for any help/ideas/input

Heather

Blossom

Forum Supporter
We're you stuck only once or twice because according to this it looks like your blood was drawn twice and the first time was breathing 28% oxygen and the second time you were breathing room air?
ETA: welcome to the forum @Elliphant :welcome
ETA 2.0: I wrote it backwards the first time!

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It seems like the ordering provider suspected carbon monoxide exposure might be an issue. If I'm correct that there were two blood draws the first one appears to be done during treatment for possible carbon monoxide poisoning and the second is after treatment and a return to baseline/normal.

OP
E

Elliphant

hey. thanks for your reasons. Greatly appreciated. yes that's what I figured after just researching the vent and coox order

But why the vent?

Also underneath my fI02 level which was 28 was " ABG comment : N/C 2

Does anyone know what that means?

thank you :):

Blossom

Forum Supporter
nderneath my fI02 level which was 28 was " ABG comment : N/C 2
2 liter nasal cannula. Each liter is approximately 3-4 percent above the room air Fio2 level of 21% with nasal cannulas which are considered a low flow oxygen delivery device.
A one liter nasal cannula (N/C 1) is considered @24% oxygen and a 2 liter nasal cannula is 28%.

Last edited:
OP
E

Elliphant

hey blossom! thanks for your reply ! Why do they do this ? To check I was receiving enough 02 I'm assuming ? But thing is they never had me on oxygen when test was performed. Very confusing

Blossom

Forum Supporter
hey blossom! thanks for your reply ! Why do they do this ? To check I was receiving enough 02 I'm assuming ? But thing is they never had me on oxygen when test was performed. Very confusing
That is very confusing...I've been drawing ABG's since 1998 and have never gotten two different results from one blood sample. It makes me think you were given someone else's results in error. We're you conscious throughout the entire time? You might have to inquire further where your ABG was tested and ask for an explanation as to why you have two results from only one test.

Back
Top Bottom