Abandoning the Ray Peat Diet

tara

tara said:
I suspect that part of the reason that many people gain weight while trying some of Peat's suggestions is that they are coming from restrictive eating practices that have left them malnourished, and for some people, with reduced thyroid function or other damaged systems. Then they start eating to appetite for a while, and gain weight, because this is the normal (and often healthy) thing that happens when people stop starving themselves.
Another thought on this. If people have come from really severe restriction, and start eating enough, they may get not only some weight gain, but a whole lot of really uncomfortable symptoms that commonly occur during recover from anorexia etc, like bloating and edema as repair is begun, and pain from the damage done previously by starvation, which has been blunted during active restriction. For some people, this would probably happen whatever they ate during refeeding, Peat-inspired or not. If they associate these uncomfortable/painful symptoms with their Peat-inspired food choices, rather than with just starting to eat enough, and aren't aware of the common phases of such recovery, I imagine that could put a few people off.

leo

I read Peat worked in a weight loss clinic at one point in his career....so, don't think he is opposed to people searching for their ideal weight.

I abandoned this woe a while back and have lost 14 of the pounds I gained while one year on Peat. That year also brought increased BP, increased abdominal fat, lethargy and blood sugar issues.

I still avoid PUFA, have a.m. fruit, and healthy proteins with minimal veggies/starches. I have not starved....just switched things up a bit which probably resulted in a lower caloric intake. I avoid anything in a package, and try to eat whole foods cooked at home. When eating out, I let go and enjoy the moment. My stress levels have come down by adjusting my views on eating and not being so dogmatic about it.

I feel healthy at this weight....BP is back to normal....blood sugar too and sleep is just as good as before or maybe even better (this I attribute to agrimony tea at night)

Another thing I did was abandon health blogs. It has made a world of difference in my life. I drop in about once a month just to see if I've missed some important new study or discovery that might be important in my life....but other than that I'm done. I have commented here today only to show that for some people, this does not work. Like I had said last year....most here are young males and I'm happy they are doing fine. But for post menopausal females, this could be a disaster.

What is there in common with a health blog? All we do here is sing the continuous praises of a handful of simple substances, digging up papers about magnesium reversing Parkinson's when we already know it would because of what Ray Peat has been saying for half a century. You can laugh about us but we are balancing out the "health blogs" with their endless search for expensive and "novel" compounds as well as autistic focus on details.

BingDing

I'm really glad it has worked out for you, leo. I suspected it would. :thumbright

I might even say you really haven't abandoned this woe, since your choices are informed by RP's advice. Knowing about PUFAs is huge and avoids the worst of the non-Peaty foods, for example.

leo

Thank you bing ding. You are right....it has not been a complete abandon. And yes, I will never feel the same way about PUFA's again, so all was not lost. I recall you always had such good responses to my posts for help and I thank you for that.

Such Saturation: you remind me of why I left this forum last year. I don't know, maybe it's me,,but I find the young men here very confrontational. If you hear nervous condescending laughter all the time, I feel for you. That is a sign of paranoia.

My curiosity got the better of me when I saw the Abandoning the Peat Diet and that is the only reason I read and posted. Will say goodbye again ha. Good luck to all!

leo said:
Thank you bing ding. You are right....it has not been a complete abandon. And yes, I will never feel the same way about PUFA's again, so all was not lost. I recall you always had such good responses to my posts for help and I thank you for that.

Such Saturation: you remind me of why I left this forum last year. I don't know, maybe it's me,,but I find the young men here very confrontational. If you hear nervous condescending laughter all the time, I feel for you. That is a sign of paranoia.

My curiosity got the better of me when I saw the Abandoning the Peat Diet and that is the only reason I read and posted. Will say goodbye again ha. Good luck to all!

I will give you one example since it is late. Again I have sympathy if you read something but cannot infer or are not led to infer something about the nature of the writer's state.

http://50kzone.blogspot.it/2013/07/not- ... -plus.html

Some quotes:

I could continue to humliate this pathetic article.

This hilarious tard

The quackosphere never stops being entertaining

Bonus, this concise but powerful ode to cosmic irony, five sentences to spell it all out: God hates us :mrgreen: SAVE US leo, EVERYONE NEEDS EVERYONE ELSE IN HERE!

Oh and P.S., I find it ironic Peat has a gallery of artistic nude paintings on his website. The women he paints to admire female beauty are classically demonstrating the appearance of high estrogen with very low /brief progesterone exposure. Pale edematious skin particularly of face, arms, hips/legs, with marked diminished fluid/fat retention around waist, very thick hair. This is classic female beauty; all men all over the world are attracted to this because pale skin is a significant fertility indicator, as much so as a narrow waist/flat stomach, and the fatty/edematious arms and legs which are demonstrated by his painting. These changes are only possible from high estrogen, without prior history of extreme progesterone exposure (lack of prior pregnancy).

Take care

jaguar43

From what I have seen on this forum, those who are willing to explore other ideas of Dr. Peats work like science, arts, literature, culture, politics seem to have a better "grasp" on nutrition and health. Rather than those who just continue to dissect and reduce his nutritional recommendations.

A few years ago a group of researchers in Scotland studying learning in apes did some experiments (involving opening boxes to get a piece of candy inside) that showed that chimpanzees learn in a variety of “flexibly adaptive” ways, and that 3 year old children being presented with a similar task most often did it in ways that appear to be less intelligent than the apes. They “suggest that the difference in performance of chimpanzees and children may be due to a greater susceptibility of children to cultural conventions.” (Horner and Whiten, 2005; Whiten, et al., 2004).

In my newsletter on puberty, I described some of the effects of foods and hormones on intelligence. Here, I want to consider the effects of culture on the way people learn and think. Culture, it seems, starts to make us stupid long before the metabolic problems appear.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/au ... ians.shtml

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Such_Saturation said:
Curt :-) said:
Can't we all just drink milk and get along? :):
Are we not? :crazy:
:grouphug2 I guess sometimes things get misunderstood when we can't see the people/person we are communicating with face to face. Like Peat has pointed out, language can be very limiting.

BingDing

To be honest, SS, I can understand leo a lot better than I can understand you. Do you really think she will get:

and the rest of the gibberish you posted?

Not everyone is young, hip and cynical. And many of us are really glad we're not.

And by the way, what's with the Moe hairdo? Is that really you?

BingDing said:
To be honest, SS, I can understand leo a lot better than I can understand you. Do you really think she will get:

and the rest of the gibberish you posted?

Not everyone is young, hip and cynical. And many of us are really glad we're not.

And by the way, what's with the Moe hairdo? Is that really you?

Those are quotes from the linked article, hence the italics.

No, not reading the links is missing the point, clearly. The links were linked because they were gibberish.

I am sorry if the posts come out as excessively intricate but paranoia is an allegation wich deserves some amount of context, especially when assigned on the basis of a figure of speech. I don't hear voices but I have no grudge against people who do. Think that seeing what a substance does in the body is akin to seeing what an idea does in a society. We are not "dissecting" anything.