A1 Vs A2 Milk - Is The Devil Really In The Milk?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
gretchen said:
I've drank some cow's milk the last 48 hours or so and feel like crap. YIKES cow's milk is scary. I really believe the A1 factor might be legit- I can't imagine ever tolerating it.
I do fine on it.

moooo

4peatssake

Charlie said:
[BBvideo 560,340:19kipsof]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn9Rn4FbH5U[/BBvideo]

gretchen

Charlie said:
gretchen said:
I've drank some cow's milk the last 48 hours or so and feel like crap. YIKES cow's milk is scary. I really believe the A1 factor might be legit- I can't imagine ever tolerating it.
I do fine on it.

moooo

Seriously it was like an instant 5 lb weight loss just dropping it. it's very strange and goat's milk is even higher in tryptophan from what I've read. But once again, I'm bloated and miserable just from a few cups. I've read some people do well on it once they add things like pregnenolone, thyroid etc. Seems like a lot of trouble to go to. With goat's milk all i have to do is go in the sun regularly and take aspirin.

saul42

There is a small group of individuals that are allergic to it. For whatever reason you might belong to that group. I have tried raw milk and pasteurized milk in several different countries (more than 6) and have not really felt the difference. However I can say that raw milk from overseas definitely tastes way better than the raw milk from the US.

But in terms of serious symptoms I have not felt or experienced any, but given the option I would probably lean towards raw milk if it was easy to obtain but its not so easy to get in my area and as there is not a big difference In terms of a reaction, I will usually use pasteurized (but no RBST) regular milk as Vit A is added to the low fat milk.

Ari

Are you guys warming up your milk before drinking? I find digestion to be easier when the milk itself is warm.

burtlancast

The Inflammation from A1 Milk is Mind-Boggling
Posted on February 20, 2013

A1 Milk

For some people, cow’s milk is simply devastating to health. We can wish for milk to be healthy because of its calcium and protein. We can hope that milk is better if it’s raw or organic.

We cannot get around the fact that one of the proteins in milk – A1 casein – is highly inflammatory for some people. In susceptible individuals, A1 casein is cleaved to form a powerful immune-modulating opiate called casomorphin.

Not all cows produce A1 casein. It comes from Holstein and Friesian cows who are the dominant breeds in western Europe, North America and Australia. Milk cows in Africa, Asia, Iceland and southern Europe make milk with mostly A2 casein. Those countries have a lower incidence of the conditions discussed below.

Milk that has predominantly or exclusively A2 casein is fine for most people. I find this in my clinic again and again. Goat’s milk is A2. And so is milk from Jersey cows. Dairy products that are mostly fat – like butter – are also fine.
Which conditions suffer from A1 milk?

A1 casein is a trigger for Type 1 diabetes (the research around this is fascinating). It is also highly implicated in coronary artery disease and autoimmune disease.

Casein is involved – with gluten – in Autism and Schizophrenia. Evidence is that casomorphin is more damaging to the brain than the gliadorphin from gluten.

Casomorphin’s drug-like effect explains why it worsens anxiety and mood disorders, and causes cravings for dairy and sugar. (Causes withdrawal-symptoms when it’s stopped.)

The inflammation from A1 casein causes lymphatic congestion, metabolic suppression, and weight gain.

A1 milk can worsen acne, eczema, upper respiratory infections, asthma and allergies.

It causes digestive problems, and not because of the lactose. Because of the massive histamine release from casomorphin.

In my hormonal practice, I see that A1 casein drives endometriosis. I believe that it does so because it of its inflammatory, immune-disruptive effect. I have yet to see one case of endometriosis that did not improve by avoiding A1 milk.
Who is affected?

Some people are fine with A1 casein (they don’t make the casomorphin). There is no simple test. It is not an allergy.

The problem occurs in people who A) lack the digestive enzyme to inactivate casomorphin, or B) have intestinal permeability which allows the reactive peptide to enter the blood stream. (Or both A and B.)

The clinical clue that I watch for is: recurring upper respiratory infections as a child. Either ear infections, bronchitis or tonsillitis. Those infections were driven by A1 casein, and in adulthood, the same immune-disruption manifests as other inflammatory conditions.
Does Raw Help?

Certain types of pasteurisation increase the amount of casomorphin in A1 dairy, so raw milk may be better. My instinct is that raw doesn’t solve the problem. We need to move away from Holstein cows.

If you want to know more about A1 casein, please read New Zealand Professor Keith Woodford’s book Devil in the Milk: Illness, Health, and the Politics of A1 and A2 Milk. I spent an entire afternoon reading it (like a kid reading Stephen King), and I love his scientist-style of writing. When referring to various studies, he takes the extra step to “run the numbers” himself.

The dairy industry in Australia and New Zealand is breeding the A2 allele into its herds, and A2 milk is now available in most supermarkets (labelled as A2).

I would love to hear from other practitioners. Please comment.

Yours in Health, Lara Briden

saul42

burtlancast

Do you or anyone else that has a bad reaction to A1 milk still experience the same thing when you consume Cottage Cheese or Farmers Cheese. I have run into a few people that have had problems with milk but have no reactions when they consume cottage or farmers cheese. While I do enjoy milk I prefer to consume lots of cottage cheese.

Presumably if there is no reaction then you could get most of what you need from cottage cheese or farmers cheese.

There was a time when I was overseas I could not find a good decent source of milk. So I simply had more cheese, ate a lot more potatoes and increased my consumption of fruits.

burtlancast

saul42 said:
burtlancast

Do you or anyone else that has a bad reaction to A1 milk still experience the same thing when you consume Cottage Cheese or Farmers Cheese. I have run into a few people that have had problems with milk but have no reactions when they consume cottage or farmers cheese. While I do enjoy milk I prefer to consume lots of cottage cheese.

Presumably if there is no reaction then you could get most of what you need from cottage cheese or farmers cheese.

There was a time when I was overseas I could not find a good decent source of milk. So I simply had more cheese, ate a lot more potatoes and increased my consumption of fruits.

Cheese ( any kind) doesn't release A1 caseine ( or only in minuscule amounts) like milk does.
That's why people don't get bad reactions to it.

Jenn

The presumption that certain breeds of cattle are A1 or A2 is false...as people are finding out when they get their own animals tested.

While its fine to personally have a problem with digesting a certain food, goodness knows, I've been there. It is not really fair to blame the food for your issues. IMO.

Swandattur

These days I can't seem to handle much dairy at all. I think it has to do with histamine intolerance. Even milk is a problem. It's not just about histamine in cheese or cultured stuff. I have read that casein is a histamine releaser. I have found that buffalo mozzarella doesn't seem to bother me. It probably has low histamine and maybe the casein in it is somehow different. I would imagine this problem has to do with my own metabolic issues, (not the cow's.) :P

HDD

Swandattur said:
These days I can't seem to handle much dairy at all. I think it has to do with histamine intolerance. Even milk is a problem. It's not just about histamine in cheese or cultured stuff. I have read that casein is a histamine releaser. I have found that buffalo mozzarella doesn't seem to bother me. It probably has low histamine and maybe the casein in it is somehow different. I would imagine this problem has to do with my own metabolic issues, (not the cow's.) :P

I came across this and thought it was helpful information about histamine.

Estradiol increases the release of serotonin and histamine from mast cells (Vliagoftis et al. 1992). In an experiment, a relapse of bronchial obstruction during women's menstrual cycle was observed. Incubating blood and rising rates of estrogens produce an increase of histamine release (Terral C, et al., 1981). Antihistamines block estrogen's effects (Szego, 1965; Szego and Davis, 1967).

http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2013/6/4 ... le-hormone

saul42

Swandattur said:

Salt is supposedly a natural antihistamine agent. So perhaps if you took a bit of salt before you ate some dairy it might help. On the other side the food in the US is generally very poor in terms of nutrition. In general though its some weakness in our metabolism that makes things worse. In directly that means that there is a thyroid issue.

Mittir

Swandattur said:

Any food that irritate intestine can cause histamine release. Old cheese is high in histamine .
Here is a very good article on histamine intolerance and they do not add milk to their list of foods that
has histamine releasing capacity. Fresh cheeses do not have histamine problem.
You can make your own homemade farmers cheese and find out if that causes any problem.
Thyroid hormone is related to production of lactase enzyme. I have noticed if i skip carrot
salad for few days i start having digestive issues.
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/5/ ... l.pdf+html

Kray

burtlancast said:
The Inflammation from A1 Milk is Mind-Boggling
Posted on February 20, 2013

A1 Milk

For some people, cow’s milk is simply devastating to health. We can wish for milk to be healthy because of its calcium and protein. We can hope that milk is better if it’s raw or organic.

We cannot get around the fact that one of the proteins in milk – A1 casein – is highly inflammatory for some people. In susceptible individuals, A1 casein is cleaved to form a powerful immune-modulating opiate called casomorphin.

Not all cows produce A1 casein. It comes from Holstein and Friesian cows who are the dominant breeds in western Europe, North America and Australia. Milk cows in Africa, Asia, Iceland and southern Europe make milk with mostly A2 casein. Those countries have a lower incidence of the conditions discussed below.

Milk that has predominantly or exclusively A2 casein is fine for most people. I find this in my clinic again and again. Goat’s milk is A2. And so is milk from Jersey cows. Dairy products that are mostly fat – like butter – are also fine.
Which conditions suffer from A1 milk?

A1 casein is a trigger for Type 1 diabetes (the research around this is fascinating). It is also highly implicated in coronary artery disease and autoimmune disease.

Casein is involved – with gluten – in Autism and Schizophrenia. Evidence is that casomorphin is more damaging to the brain than the gliadorphin from gluten.

Casomorphin’s drug-like effect explains why it worsens anxiety and mood disorders, and causes cravings for dairy and sugar. (Causes withdrawal-symptoms when it’s stopped.)

The inflammation from A1 casein causes lymphatic congestion, metabolic suppression, and weight gain.

A1 milk can worsen acne, eczema, upper respiratory infections, asthma and allergies.

It causes digestive problems, and not because of the lactose. Because of the massive histamine release from casomorphin.

In my hormonal practice, I see that A1 casein drives endometriosis. I believe that it does so because it of its inflammatory, immune-disruptive effect. I have yet to see one case of endometriosis that did not improve by avoiding A1 milk.
Who is affected?

Some people are fine with A1 casein (they don’t make the casomorphin). There is no simple test. It is not an allergy.

The problem occurs in people who A) lack the digestive enzyme to inactivate casomorphin, or B) have intestinal permeability which allows the reactive peptide to enter the blood stream. (Or both A and B.)

The clinical clue that I watch for is: recurring upper respiratory infections as a child. Either ear infections, bronchitis or tonsillitis. Those infections were driven by A1 casein, and in adulthood, the same immune-disruption manifests as other inflammatory conditions.
Does Raw Help?

Certain types of pasteurisation increase the amount of casomorphin in A1 dairy, so raw milk may be better. My instinct is that raw doesn’t solve the problem. We need to move away from Holstein cows.

If you want to know more about A1 casein, please read New Zealand Professor Keith Woodford’s book Devil in the Milk: Illness, Health, and the Politics of A1 and A2 Milk. I spent an entire afternoon reading it (like a kid reading Stephen King), and I love his scientist-style of writing. When referring to various studies, he takes the extra step to “run the numbers” himself.

The dairy industry in Australia and New Zealand is breeding the A2 allele into its herds, and A2 milk is now available in most supermarkets (labelled as A2).

I would love to hear from other practitioners. Please comment.

Yours in Health, Lara Briden

Burtlancast:

I'm new to this topic, and I appreciate all the concerns. If someone suspects A1 sensitivity and wants to try an A2 milk, (how can anyone know? From what I've read, unless it would say so on the (cow's) milk label, it could be either A1 or A2, correct?) is raw still the best? If goat milk is safer alternative since it would not be A1, does it matter if it is pasteurized in your opinion? One reason I like raw milk of any kind is that the mfg is not required to add vitamins A/D. I don't like to drink ANY kind of commerical milk for that reason. Any information would be helpful. Thank you.

burtlancast

The milk found in supermarkets is certainly a mix of A1 and A2.
The same cow, if she's heterozygote for the casein alleles, will give milk with a 50% mix A1 and A2 .
Goat milk is always A2.
I think Peat is right when he says raw or pasteurized is pretty much a minor issue.
The other issue is was it grass fed ?
To drink genuine grass-fed milk is a life-changing experience, compared to the commercial stuff.

The A1 issue seems to be a concern only for a small % of the population, but can have devastating consequences health-wise, as diabates type 1, heart disease and atherosclerosis, schizophrenia, cannot be cured by conventional means.

A2 milk is increasingly winning market shares with each passing year. The industry is attempting to replace all the A1 cows without creating a health scare.

Kray

burtlancast said:
The milk found in supermarkets is certainly a mix of A1 and A2.
The same cow, if she's heterozygote for the casein alleles, will give milk with a 50% mix A1 and A2 .
Goat milk is always A2.
I think Peat is right when he says raw or pasteurized is pretty much a minor issue.
The other issue is was it grass fed ?
To drink genuine grass-fed milk is a life-changing experience, compared to the commercial stuff.

The A1 issue seems to be a concern only for a small % of the population, but can have devastating consequences health-wise, as diabates type 1, heart disease and atherosclerosis, schizophrenia, cannot be cured by conventional means.

A2 milk is increasingly winning market shares with each passing year. The industry is attempting to replace all the A1 cows without creating a health scare.

Thanks for the feedback on this. I'm waiting to hear back about A2 status from a dairy that has all Jersey, raw organic milk. It is more expensive than the raw, organic I now drink (which I know for sure is A1/A2 mix), but may be worth at least giving it a try for a few weeks to see if I have improvement.

burtlancast

The only way for a milk farm to know if their cows are A2 is to pay for the genotyping test owned by the A2 corporation ( it's about 50$ for each cow; it's done simply on a few dozen tail hairs from the cow; it can all be done through the international mail)

I think the A1 milk thing is snake oil. Keith Woodford, author of Devil in the Milk, clearly says in this podcast:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/undergroun ... ID=4003003

that he is affiliated with the company in, I believe it was OZ or NZ, that started to promote that myth so they can sell their milk and make people not want to buy the other milk. There is a part in the interview where it gets awkward and it seems like he's a huckster. He is the guy who started the whole thing. Listen to the podcast and you'll know that this guy is a quack, just from the way he talks.

He was the guy who started it all, Keith Woodford.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals