A Year Of Peating - Results And Thoughts

Gone Peating

A few years ago I was struck in the chin by an overly zealous man while playing basketball. Soon after I started having strange symptoms like grinding my teeth at night and as time went on even during the day(never done it before), constant pain in my neck shoulders traps head and jaw, ringing in the ears, having to blink way too often, feeling like my teeth did not fit together and other stuff. Long story short after going to countless doctors/dentists I found one who proved to me with a special xray machine he had that my tmj joints were no longer inside the cushy discs that prevent the jaw bones from being in contact with one another - he used a splint for one year followed by braces for two years to create enough room so that my jaw bones are no longer constantly touching and crushing all the nerves that were causing me suicidal thought provoking constant pain levels. I finished up the treatment beginning of last year. I still had some residual chronic pain and tightness in my neck back and shoulder area however. Thankfully, I stumbled upon this forum.

Starting in June I dove right into Peating head first. My diet has been more or less the same since June of last year: orange juice, milk, cheese, buttered toast, fruit, sugar/honey, ice cream, burgers, cod, liver and some other things thrown in here and there.

To anyone new who is considering peating, please do. The results have been incredible. My body feels almost completely renewed, my mental clarity is as good as it ever have been, and my general sense of well being and anxiety levels (though I'd say most of this is really do to discovering Eastern Orthodox Christianity recently, I recommend looking into this as well) have never been better.

I think the most important thing is to eat often when first beginning to Peat, when I first started I needed to eat about every 1.5 hours. I remember from the first few days when I incorporated all the oj, milk, and sugar I legit felt like I was on happy pills - like cocaine without the jitters and mania. This feeling slowly went away after a few months and transformed into more of a tranquil sense of feeling well.

A year ago I was 5'11 160 pounds, I worked out twice a week and did sprints twice a week. Before I started Peating I was basically doing the whole intermittent fasting low carb thing. My cortisol levels were definitely high, I could not build muscle if my life depended on it - which was shocking because I was 180 pounds when I was 17 before I had my tmj/neck injury. Now I am 175 pounds and only work out once a week. I gained 15 pounds of mostly muscle mass (I know it's muscle mass because they are now hard at rest while before I was a skinny fat mess) without even trying.

This and all of the other testimonials I've seen as well as Peat's logic and general biological views lead me to conclude that "Peating" will work for everyone, but the exact foods might differ on a person by person basis.

Vinny

Thank you!

LUH 3417

Do you use whole milk dairy? I’m happy to hear you are doing so well.

Cirion

Would you expand more on macros, total calories etc?

How did you resolve the needing to frequently eat problems? I've been doing this for 2 yrs now and haven't resolved it. How did you handle going through the nightly fast without issues?

lampofred

I hope it lasts for you, but I think I felt a similar very kind of euphoria when starting Peat and it was due to a lifetime of high estrogen and high serotonin, and when you suddenly lower the serotonin with lots of sugar and milk and low PUFA, you're left with a kind of hypomania from high dopamine and high estrogen with newfound religiosity, mild feelings of grandiosity, etc... I think without high CO2 and a low respiratory rate, you could end up quickly burning through nutritional reserves and crash.

OP
G

Gone Peating

Do you use whole milk dairy? I’m happy to hear you are doing so well.

I started out the first few months with whole milk then went skim and now have been doing 2%, I like the taste best. I also eat a cup of ice cream every night before bed

OP
G

Gone Peating

Would you expand more on macros, total calories etc?

How did you resolve the needing to frequently eat problems? I've been doing this for 2 yrs now and haven't resolved it. How did you handle going through the nightly fast without issues?

Something like around 400g carbs, 140g protein, 100g fat (5g pufa, 60g saturated)

The needing to frequently eat problem has just sort of diminished as I've continued to Peat. I can eat a piece of fruit and a couple cups of milk with sugar and be fine for three hours now.

I've read some of your posts, your problem does seem unique. Have you tried maybe going a month where you consume no fat and only carbs? Or have you tried thyroid medication?

OP
G

Gone Peating

I hope it lasts for you, but I think I felt a similar very kind of euphoria when starting Peat and it was due to a lifetime of high estrogen and high serotonin, and when you suddenly lower the serotonin with lots of sugar and milk and low PUFA, you're left with a kind of hypomania from high dopamine and high estrogen with newfound religiosity, mild feelings of grandiosity, etc... I think without high CO2 and a low respiratory rate, you could end up quickly burning through nutritional reserves and crash.

From my general blood test some months ago my CO2 levels were high

I no longer feel "manic", quite the opposite honestly

Runenight201

I’ve had a similar experience. In fact my first post on this forum was me detailing how I felt like I was on cocaine. Its interesting how breaking out of the rut of low energy and poor health makes one quite ecstatic.

How is Eastern Orthodox Christianity different from western?

milkboi

I’ve had a similar experience. In fact my first post on this forum was me detailing how I felt like I was on cocaine. Its interesting how breaking out of the rut of low energy and poor health makes one quite ecstatic.

I remember that post. Do you think the euphoria is counterproductive?

Runenight201

I haven’t finished forming my opinion on that yet. On the one hand the euphoria is very pleasant and completely erases any negative emotions. Love is my de facto mode of operation and people become very attracted to that energy. However, often times I’m over stimulating out my body. While feeling in my head ecstatic, my hands go cold, which to me means that I’m lacking true strength. I’d also re-chase that high, continuing to consume stims and sugar at the expense of other areas of my health.

I think there is perhaps a way to get the euphoria while at the same time being very metabolically healthy, but everything has to go right.

I think my criteria for euphoria probably changed over time as well. When I first started peating, I was breaking out of all sorts of dietary errors, primarily being not consuming carbohydrates, dairy, and sugar, so the influx of that nutrition led me to feel ecstatic. Once accustomed to that nutrition, it took lots of coffee and sugar to then provide a new novel experience.

The euphoria may be inevitable. How we respond to it dictates whether it’s good or bad. As long as one doesn’t lose awareness over their overall health than it’s a positive part of the health experience.

Runenight201

I haven’t finished forming my opinion on that yet. On the one hand the euphoria is very pleasant and completely erases any negative emotions. Love is my de facto mode of operation and people become very attracted to that energy. However, often times I’m over stimulating out my body. While feeling in my head ecstatic, my hands go cold, which to me means that I’m lacking true strength. I’d also re-chase that high, continuing to consume stims and sugar at the expense of other areas of my health.

I think there is perhaps a way to get the euphoria while at the same time being very metabolically healthy, but everything has to go right.

I think my criteria for euphoria probably changed over time as well. When I first started peating, I was breaking out of all sorts of dietary errors, primarily being not consuming carbohydrates, dairy, and sugar, so the influx of that nutrition led me to feel ecstatic. Once accustomed to that nutrition, it took lots of coffee and sugar to then provide a new novel experience.

The euphoria may be inevitable. How we respond to it dictates whether it’s good or bad. As long as one doesn’t lose awareness over their overall health than it’s a positive part of the health experience.

OP
G

Gone Peating

I am still so thankful I found Ray Peat and this forum. I can still remember how physically good and excited I felt that first few days of Peating realizing just how real the effects are - makes me smile now just thinking about it.

I grew up Roman Catholic, although my parents were/are not very devoted to the faith - they believe in God and in Christianity but they are not really active participants which is pretty normal nowadays I would say. That's pretty much how I was most of my life - I felt that God was real and that Jesus was God but it wasn't very important to me and not something I often thought about.

I think that more important than any doctrinal or historical differences, the experience of it has been the most important thing in making me realize that eastern orthodoxy is the true form of Christianity. Whenever I attended Catholic or Protestant masses, I never felt anything transcendent. Sure, sometimes a priest would give a great sermon that was very educational or maybe it was nice to hold hands and say the Our Father but I never truly felt any divine experience that differs from regular life.

The very first time I attended a Greek Orthodox liturgy I felt something that I had never really felt before (except for one time when I found myself in front of St. Peter's Tomb). Each time I attend the liturgy I seem to become more and more able to feel this divine presence and it just continues to make me happier and want to experience God more and worry less about normal stuff that I used to worry about on a daily basis. The orthodox liturgy feels a lot less regimented than a Catholic mass, it is almost like one long connected song that everyone participates in and the priest leads but does not command. Keep in mind, most of the liturgy is in Greek so I can't even understand what is being said most of the time! It is pretty amazing and hard to put into words, I'm sorry if I haven't really been able to convey what I mean. Here is a good documentary about Mt Athos, a group of orthodox monastics in an independent self-governed community in Greece that's been around for over 1300 years: Mt. Athos I recommend watching this and going to an orthodox liturgy to see for yourself, that's the only true way to experience the faith, among its participants.

In addition to the experiential stuff, the position of the Pope is not justifiable on the grounds of the way the early Church operated. Catholics typically use Matthew 16 to justify the pope's existence saying Jesus made peter the rock of the Christian church "Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter and on this rock I will build my church."

In Greek, Peter or Petros means little stone. You cannot build anything with a little stone! You need a big strong corner stone, Christ was clearly saying Peter was a small example of the Truth of God by his declaration, the true Rock or foundation of the Christian Church is God himself who gave this truth to peter. Moreover, in the book of Acts when trying to decide if people still need to be circumcised (we do not) Peter presented before a council of elders of whom James the Apostle facilitated similar to the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court (they were all equal but he was honored above the rest) and after Peter presented the council decided what to do. If Peter was truly the pope he would have just commanded what should be done!

The papal issue alone imo is enough to see that Roman Catholicism really just became a way for the Roman branch to establish its own secular interests above all else and this can be seen just from a cursory reading of Roman Catholic church history. There are other doctrinal issues but this post is already long enough lol

Runenight201

I am still so thankful I found Ray Peat and this forum. I can still remember how physically good and excited I felt that first few days of Peating realizing just how real the effects are - makes me smile now just thinking about it.

I grew up Roman Catholic, although my parents were/are not very devoted to the faith - they believe in God and in Christianity but they are not really active participants which is pretty normal nowadays I would say. That's pretty much how I was most of my life - I felt that God was real and that Jesus was God but it wasn't very important to me and not something I often thought about.

I think that more important than any doctrinal or historical differences, the experience of it has been the most important thing in making me realize that eastern orthodoxy is the true form of Christianity. Whenever I attended Catholic or Protestant masses, I never felt anything transcendent. Sure, sometimes a priest would give a great sermon that was very educational or maybe it was nice to hold hands and say the Our Father but I never truly felt any divine experience that differs from regular life.

The very first time I attended a Greek Orthodox liturgy I felt something that I had never really felt before (except for one time when I found myself in front of St. Peter's Tomb). Each time I attend the liturgy I seem to become more and more able to feel this divine presence and it just continues to make me happier and want to experience God more and worry less about normal stuff that I used to worry about on a daily basis. The orthodox liturgy feels a lot less regimented than a Catholic mass, it is almost like one long connected song that everyone participates in and the priest leads but does not command. Keep in mind, most of the liturgy is in Greek so I can't even understand what is being said most of the time! It is pretty amazing and hard to put into words, I'm sorry if I haven't really been able to convey what I mean. Here is a good documentary about Mt Athos, a group of orthodox monastics in an independent self-governed community in Greece that's been around for over 1300 years: Mt. Athos I recommend watching this and going to an orthodox liturgy to see for yourself, that's the only true way to experience the faith, among its participants.

In addition to the experiential stuff, the position of the Pope is not justifiable on the grounds of the way the early Church operated. Catholics typically use Matthew 16 to justify the pope's existence saying Jesus made peter the rock of the Christian church "Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter and on this rock I will build my church."

In Greek, Peter or Petros means little stone. You cannot build anything with a little stone! You need a big strong corner stone, Christ was clearly saying Peter was a small example of the Truth of God by his declaration, the true Rock or foundation of the Christian Church is God himself who gave this truth to peter. Moreover, in the book of Acts when trying to decide if people still need to be circumcised (we do not) Peter presented before a council of elders of whom James the Apostle facilitated similar to the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court (they were all equal but he was honored above the rest) and after Peter presented the council decided what to do. If Peter was truly the pope he would have just commanded what should be done!

The papal issue alone imo is enough to see that Roman Catholicism really just became a way for the Roman branch to establish its own secular interests above all else and this can be seen just from a cursory reading of Roman Catholic church history. There are other doctrinal issues but this post is already long enough lol

The inability to interpret the whole service would be a no go for me, but I do think there is a huge value in collective participation, especially in song, dance, and worship (although I hesitantly use that term). I recall sitting in a catholic seminary, and all the brothers began a collective acápella chant that pierced my heart and brought tears to my eyes. Interestingly the song was in latin, so I couldn’t understand it, but it was so beautiful that i was in left in awe. I think the ideal service is a combination of active participation of song and gratitude, on top of sermons on living a virtuous life and navigating the modern world properly.

Now the forms of worship are for sure to change between cultures. I went to a (for lack of a more appropriate title) black service and couldn’t stand it. The gospel music was far too loud and drawn out. The pastors were competent and good orators, which I respect, but it became obvious to me that they collect wealth for the “salvation” of their followers. Selling their books and cds and bible interpretations etc... dudes driving a Mercedes Benz and preaching in a flashy suit, completely turned me off.

OP
G

Gone Peating

The inability to interpret the whole service would be a no go for me, but I do think there is a huge value in collective participation, especially in song, dance, and worship (although I hesitantly use that term). I recall sitting in a catholic seminary, and all the brothers began a collective acápella chant that pierced my heart and brought tears to my eyes. Interestingly the song was in latin, so I couldn’t understand it, but it was so beautiful that i was in left in awe. I think the ideal service is a combination of active participation of song and gratitude, on top of sermons on living a virtuous life and navigating the modern world properly.

Now the forms of worship are for sure to change between cultures. I went to a (for lack of a more appropriate title) black service and couldn’t stand it. The gospel music was far too loud and drawn out. The pastors were competent and good orators, which I respect, but it became obvious to me that they collect wealth for the “salvation” of their followers. Selling their books and cds and bible interpretations etc... dudes driving a Mercedes Benz and preaching in a flashy suit, completely turned me off.

A lot of it is English, but also a lot of Greek. There are some Greek orthodox churches that are almost entirely in english it just depends on the parish. The one I attend has a very older Greek immigrant crowd from way long ago so most of the liturgy is in Greek.

There are also Orthodox Church of America (OCA) parishes that are not affiliated with any nationality Greek/Russian/Serbian/Bulgarian/Romanian.

In my experience, though Protestants often mean well they are missing that indefinable factor that the orthodox seem to have, even the ones who are truly good people. Protestantism was basically Christianity started from scratch 1500 years after it was initially formed and based solely on the Bible, so clearly they are missing out on all of the traditions and real life experiences that were begun by the Apostles and the early Church leaders.

And yes, it is very sad to see how many Christians and priests take advantage of others, both monetarily and to get a feeling of being important or feeling of being better than others. Wolves in sheep's clothing!