A Wish For More Energy

David90

But, some type of improvement like less bloating/endotoxin/better libido?
Less Bloating and/or Water retention for sure. I combined the Vitamin E (Two Capsules) with a Raw Carrot the Night before. And the Result was very good in the Next Morning. Stomach was flat as hell, and i was less bloated.

OP
G

GreekDemiGod

5 days on my latest zero-starch run. It's a sunny morning today, I feel zen, calm, at peace. My body feels warm, safe. My mind is optimistic. I feel zero negativity at this moment in time. It's incredible how much digestion affects your mental mood. This must be how Low Serotonin feels. Amazing.
Maybe Aspirin & Lisuride are also contributing to this effect.

laleto12

5 days on my latest zero-starch run. It's a sunny morning today, I feel zen, calm, at peace. My body feels warm, safe. My mind is optimistic. I feel zero negativity at this moment in time. It's incredible how much digestion affects your mental mood. This must be how Low Serotonin feels. Amazing.
I totally agree with that. Its like brain and gut is super connected. If something goes wrong down there you will definitely feel bad.
I'd say personally for me a diet without starch and dairy would be optimal but then I struggle eating calories to sustain myself and appetite. I know ray peat is a big fan of dairy but I just react to it somehow.

Uselis

Wha
What are your carb sources? Is it challenging to fall within 300-500g range only without starches?

OP
G

GreekDemiGod

What are your carb sources? Is it challenging to fall within 300-500g range only without starches?
It's a bit more challenging, but I do have the appetite for it for sure.
Going no-starch, I've also increased my beef intake, so increased protein intake, and some increase in fat intake too.
I think that trying to do very High-carb & Low starch & Low fat is quite a challange, so other macros must increase.

Fruits
Dried fruits
fruit juice
honey
white sugar
milk* - still testing the effects of milk on my digestion.

OP
G

GreekDemiGod

I recently discovered prunes / dried plums. They seem to work extremely well in helping me have a bowel movements. They might be crucial for me. If I manage to get regular bowel movements, reduce my bloating, that will reduce the endotoxin load, and have a spiral positive effect on my liver and thyroid.

Uselis

I recently discovered prunes / dried plums. They seem to work extremely well in helping me have a bowel movements. They might be crucial for me. If I manage to get regular bowel movements, reduce my bloating, that will reduce the endotoxin load, and have a spiral positive effect on my liver and thyroid.
check latest Hans post if you didn't yet. He has prunes in his top 5 foods that help with BM. Disclaimer: Kiwi is another good one ☺

OP
G

GreekDemiGod

@Uselis Thanks, I read that one.
It may be a bit too early to tell, but my skin is getting cleaner. I used to have chronic redness / irritation, some minor acne every now and then.

2 things I have recently changed that could be having this positive effect:
- zero starch
- high-dose vitamin C.

I often took Vitamin C before without effect on skin, so I think it's the elimination of starch.

OP
G

GreekDemiGod

Zero starch results in guaranteed 3+ bowel movements / day.

My stomach & gut feels lighter, however I still have bloating:(. It's not so bad VS when I was eating starch regularly, but it is still there.
Too much liquid exacerbate the problem. Milk can be hit or miss, depending on the source.

OP
G

GreekDemiGod

I remember how last year I was complaining of cold feet and hands. Well, I just realized I haven't had this problem for a few months at least. It's simply not an issue anymore. Only if I go longer between eating windows, my extremities will slowly get a bit cold, but nowhere near close to how cold they were before.
Not even sure what made it went away. Possible small incremental improvements in metabolic function. Probably the thyroid supplementation. I'm glad it's solved anyway.

Vins7

I remember how last year I was complaining of cold feet and hands. Well, I just realized I haven't had this problem for a few months at least. It's simply not an issue anymore. Only if I go longer between eating windows, my extremities will slowly get a bit cold, but nowhere near close to how cold they were before.
Not even sure what made it went away. Possible small incremental improvements in metabolic function. Probably the thyroid supplementation. I'm glad it's solved anyway.
Hey, this is a really good new, congratulations.
Maybe eating more calories has helped too.

Sefton10

Are you still doing no starch? I wonder what role this has played in it.

OP
G

GreekDemiGod

Are you still doing no starch? I wonder what role this has played in it.
Yes, with one exceptions. A few times I did ate some small amounts of rice and well-cooked potatoes without feeling bad from them.
I don't think it has played a role, since I started no starch quite recently.

OP
G

GreekDemiGod

Notes to Self

- raising metabolism did not fix my digestion. T3, B1, B2, coffee didn't fix my digestion. All it did was make me have more regular bowel movements.
- the same old frustrating issue with bloating. Feel hopeless about it.Ate some rice today with tuna. I felt it clogging my digestion so hard, and making me fatigued. Every time I touch starch, I get burned.
- charcoal taken at night is helpful, but not a long-term solution. Same with Camphosal.

1 and a half year of starting this thread and still spinning in the same circle, ffs.

Last edited:

Vins7

Notes to Self

- raising metabolism did not fix my digestion. T3, B1, B2, coffee didn't fix my digestion. All it did was make me have more regular bowel movements.
- the same old frustrating issue with bloating. Feel hopeless about it.Ate some rice today with tuna. I felt it clogging my digestion so hard, and making me fatigued. Every time I touch starch, I get burned.
- charcoal taken at night is helpful, but not a long-term solution. Same with Camphosal.

1 and a half year of starting this thread and still spinning in the same circle, ffs.
Have you try taking some type of antibiotic, antiparasitic or antifungal.
I am at the same point as you, my digestion is making me lose health little by little, I can no longer sleep properly because of this.

OP
G

GreekDemiGod

Have you try taking some type of antibiotic, antiparasitic or antifungal.
I don't have access to antibiotics in my country. The only one I could sometimes get over the counter was azithromycin, but it only lasted for 3 days.
Ordering from Mexico would take 40+ days.

Notes to Self

What about taking a step back and looking at the simple stuff.
Are you chewing food properly? Are you gulping down air while you eat? Are you drinking fluids immediately before/during/after meals? Do you eat hunched over with a plate on your lap or sat with good posture at a table? Have you tried going for a small walk after eating?

LLight

That's weird how digestion seems to be so hard to fix while we should now know all the possible causes and how to remedy them.

Is the problem due to a lack of digestive fluids (gastric juices, bile) or enzymes? This one could imply bad microbiota and inflammatory undigested proteins? Causes: infection, nutrient deficiency or functional issue like a blocked bile-duct?

As this is my current craze, here are somes citations from papers on betaine that I've read recently:

The data suggest that chicks on a low-betaine diet accumulate betaine into the intestinal tissue. When the diet was supplemented with betaine, betaine accumulated heavily into liver and to a lesser degree into intestinal tissue. The concentration of betaine in jejunal and ileal digesta was low suggesting that dietary betaine was mainly absorbed from the proximal small intestine. The coccidial challenge decreased the concentration of betaine in the liver, but greatly increased that in the intestinal tissue. The crypt-villus ratio was decreased by the dietary betaine supplementation in healthy and challenged chicks, suggesting that dietary betaine both protects the jejunal villi against coccidial infection and also stabilizes the mucosal structure in healthy broiler chicks. These results support our earlier findings suggesting that betaine is likely to act as an important intestinal osmolyte in broiler chicks.

We show that treatment with betaine significantly attenuated intestinal inflammation and accelerated tissue healing in a murine model of colitis. Our results suggests that betaine could be an effective supportive therapeutic for the treatment of IBD. The protective effect of betaine could be due to its ability to maintain essential methylation reactions and the epithelial barrier integrity.

In conclusion, our research demonstrated that betaine attenuated LPS-induced downregulation of Occludin and Claudin-1 and restored the intestinal barrier function.

Dietary betaine addition enhanced cholesterol synthesis as well as conversion of bile acid from cholesterol by increasing the levels of HMGCR and CYP7A1. The high-fat diet decreased the level of bile salt export pump, while dietary betaine addition inhibited this decrease and promoted bile acid efflux and increased total bile acid levels in the intestine. In summary, dietary betaine addition promoted hepatic cholesterol metabolism, including cholesterol synthesis, conversion of bile acids, and bile acid export.

I've also read how oxytocin and vasopressin could be involved in increasing "gastric and duodenum motility via OTR" (in rabbits) and regulating the phasic contraction of the gallbladder during the interdigestive period, which is thought "to be important in stirring the bile, facilitating the bile concentration and preventing the gallstone formation" (still in rabbits). I had also previously read how vasopressin could be involved in bile flow control in rats.

There are also studies during Ramadan showing how gastric acid pH is increased (but the study results might be biased because of all the habits that change during Ramadan).

Moral of the story: don't drink too much or at least between meals (and try to increase intermeal time?) and supplement betaine (which is itself an osmolyte which helps with dehydration)?

Last edited: