A Wish For More Energy

tara

Please bear in minsd I'm not expet, just a lay person reading and trying to figure these things out too.
Had a great day yesterday with more proteins in the morning, I felt warm all day long even with the cold temperature outside :D

I thought I needed to be prescribed thyroid. It looks like I could try some, but I am trying to limit supplements if possible.
Great. Maybe changing your food timing will make a difference without needing to supplement thyroid - I'd give it a chance for a bit.
I figure it's generally good to make sure nutrition and other needs are met first. Sometimes this may be enough to allow metabolism to come up naturally. And if not, you need good nutrition to support thyroid supplementation anyway, else it can create more stress and/or worsen deficiencies.

I did take my morning temperature initially. It was 36 celsius, so 96.8 Fahrenheit. Is there a protocol I could follow? I was not sure when to do it.
I'm not expert. Maybe someone else can point to a good description. But here is some of what I remember coming across.
  • It can take at least 5 mins for thermometer to come up to stable temperature, even if it says its's ready before then. I usually leave mine in for 5 mins and then check that I get 2 readings in a row the same.
  • Measure every morning for a while and record.
  • I think Broda Barnes recommended taking waking temps - before rising. He considered a range of 97.8 - 98.2 F good. If below that, he'd consider adding supplemental thyroid. (When I measured multiple times one summer I consistently got under 36C. Figured that confirmed somewhat low thyroid function, along with symptoms.)
  • More information can be gleaned from measuring at different times of day, and before and after meals.
  • Temps normally drop at night, and afternoon is often highest body temp.
  • If you measure before meals and then again 1/2 hr or so after and temps drop, that may indicate temps were elevated by stress hormones, and food allowed the stress to reduce, showing closer to base metabolism. Ideally, temps would rise after breakfast.

OP
S

somuch4food

Please bear in minsd I'm not expet, just a lay person reading and trying to figure these things out too.

I'm aware of that. I appreciate your interest in my case. Getting feedback from another point of view reassures my decisions.

I'm having another good morning today. I ate shrimps cooked in butter and garlic in addition to my usual oatmeal.

Wondering if reducing proteins at night would help my sleep... Might be worth a try.

OP
S

somuch4food

I need to be cautious with magnesium. I am starting to see adverse effects. I woke up last night at 2am and had some trouble going back to sleep. My body was feeling off, my muscles were tense.

I will keep using it but will lower the dose.

tara

• I think Broda Barnes recommended taking waking temps - before rising. He considered a range of 97.8 - 98.2 F good. If below that, he'd consider adding supplemental thyroid. (When I measured multiple times one summer I consistently got under 36C. Figured that confirmed somewhat low thyroid function, along with symptoms.)
To add, I think he said that if you supplement enough to push waking temps higher than this range, your own endogenous production of thyroid hormones is likely to reduce.

Runenight201

I use to be bloated after eating potatoes and rice also, and found pasta to be the easiest on the stomach, however, after careful consideration and experiences with headaches following wheat consumption, I realized that wheat wasn't necessary and that potatoes and rice were ultimately a superior food group decision for me. I too have trouble eating just plain white rice or just plain potatoes, but I found some tricks that allowed me to eat significantly higher quantities of these foods, and they now form the bulk of my diet.

White rice: I have to eat with butter satuee'd onions, garlic, mushrooms, broccoli, and spinach (ok the greens are extra for good nutrition, but the onions, garlic, and mushrooms are a must). I salt and curry to taste. There is something about adding the salt, onions, garlic, and mushrooms satueed in butter that makes the rice just fly down my stomach, and doesn't cause bloating. Instead, I get nice clean energy from it, and paired with a cup of oj and some coffee, causes near euphoria and always picks my mood up.

White potatoes: These are certainly more difficult, but I've found for me that lathering them in ketchup lets them fly down my throat lol. I can eat significantly more potatoes with ketchup vs just plain white potatoes.

These tricks have allowed me to use starch as the base of my diet, which being a 175 lb active male carrying muscle I believe is necessary for proper health. Lighter people can probably subsist with less starch and more fruit, but doing that made me haywire with blood sugar problems, out of control hunger, poor bladder control, and other issues.

Coffee with coconut cream 100% helps with digestion and keeps things moving, I'd recommend picking it up.

In general, I think it's best to simplify the diet and then add things on as you tolerate them. A couple of days of either fasting or following a starch based diet (see Walt Kempner's rice diet) I think is really beneficial, as inflammation and other issues will dissipate because rice and fruit juice rarely cause inflammatory problems, and fasting allows the body to heal itself. Of course, this isn't a McDougall forum =P so add Peaty things slowly back in as you see fit.

tara

There is something about adding the salt, onions, garlic, and mushrooms satueed in butter that makes the rice just fly down my stomach, and doesn't cause bloating.
:) Personally, I love butter, but coconut oil seems to agree with me more ATM. I'm with you on rice being more digestible together with other tasty foods.

White potatoes: These are certainly more difficult, but I've found for me that lathering them in ketchup lets them fly down my throat lol. I can eat significantly more potatoes with ketchup vs just plain white potatoes.
Some other tasty food with the spuds makes a difference for me too. I also found that when I started eating them more again after not so much, I got lots of gas initially, and then seemed to adjust and not such of an issue any more, even though I'm now eating more of them.

Runenight201

Some other tasty food with the spuds makes a difference for me too. I also found that when I started eating them more again after not so much, I got lots of gas initially, and then seemed to adjust and not such of an issue any more, even though I'm now eating more of them.

I forgot who but someone had mentioned that after doing a potato based diet for 6 months it drastically improved his digestion and he was able to eat them with no problems.

What do you eat with your potatoes? I've been struggling to think up of different pairings. My white rice is a knock out winner that I'll keep for life lol, but the potatoes with ketchup I can see myself getting a little bored of eventually. I tried boiled peas and carrots with a little bit of butter and it was alright.

tara

Often, three or more of:
- sauteed onion, capsicum, meat/fish/liver/(or eggs when I'm eating them), mushrooms, kohlrabi, zucchini, whatever veges are around and appeal ...
- boiled kale, spinach
- raw salad veges - leaves, tomato, chopped olives - if no fried food, then maybe a little coconut oil or tsp olive oil

Have been known to make variations on Irish stew.

I'd eat spuds mashed with milk and butter, or with a bearnaise sauce, if dairy served me better. Usually I just boil them. And use the broth too. Or sometime bake or microwave them, or fry or bake in coconut oil.

OP
S

somuch4food

White rice: I have to eat with butter satuee'd onions, garlic, mushrooms, broccoli, and spinach

Sounds delicious. As a child, I disliked onions, but now I seem to crave them. Maybe, I should eat them way more often.

The trend I see from your mix is that they are mostly sulfur-rich vegetables!

A couple of days of either fasting or following a starch based diet (see Walt Kempner's rice diet) I think is really beneficial

I will look into that. I was starting to think about an elimination diet to speed up the detective work.

What do you eat with your potatoes?

Usually butter and salt.

Runenight201

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2013nl/dec/kempner.pdf

This is the original diet if you're interested in trying it. Note that I do not think it's advisable to follow long term, but I do think that it should clear up inflammation issues and make you feel better just because it will provide nice, easily digestible calories. I also think tubers are a safe addition to make, to break up the monotony of the rice, and well-cooked vegetables as well (which the original rice diet excludes). Also coconuts are great, but I'm a little lazy so I stick with coconut cream in my coffee and on my fruits (which is actually surprisingly delicious).

I used to be big into the avoidance of Sulphur rich vegetables, especially after running a genetic test and realizing I have some mutation that makes it harder for my body to process those vegetables. That was a period of some of my worst health, and I realized now that these vegetables actually bring me good health and make me feel good. People have been commenting on how much better I look, and I've based my diet primarily on rice, potatoes, veggies, fruit, and goat milk/yogurt. My one vice is definitely corn flakes (I think corn is an inferior food), but I just love my goat milk, corn flakes, maple syrup combo for breakfast too much to give it up =P

OP
S

somuch4food

New theory here. I thought that a stressful event or a change in diet were at the origin of my focusing troubles, but it might be my cellphone. I started using my cellphone more often when I changed for a Nexus and got a data plan.

I think this might be the trigger. Whether, it's EMF or just a bad habit I don't know...

OP
S

somuch4food

Lifestyle might have a whole lot more to do with my sleep issues. Working as a programmer, looking at my phone a lot, not spending much time outside are all bad habits I have since forever. Those have brought upon a vicious cycle. I feel lazy because I can't recover during sleep, but I can't sleep properly because I sit around all day long...

This week I will focus on enhancing my circadian rhythm by taking frequent short breaks outside and banning my phone and other blue light emitting devices.

As for my diet, it's still not optimal, but I will eat low fat and add more veggies to my meals. Snacks and breakfast are still fruits though. As for proteins, I found out yesterday that my body really needs them. I reduced my protein intake for dinner and ate more sugary snacks in the evening. The result was waking up freezing in the middle of the night. So, for me, getting cold seems to be related to a lack of optimal proteins.

OP
S

somuch4food

I decided to lower my starch intake. I think starch plays a main part in my bloating and gas issues.

For now, no grains, no white potatoes.

This morning I replaced my slice of bread with 2 handfuls of sauteed greens. It was delicious.

OP
S

somuch4food

I'm running in circle due to my own inconsistensies.

Implementing changes while juggling responsabilities is not easy.

I think my potassium is too low. I can't give up grains/starches easily since I am not the cook. I will aim to reverse the starch/veggie ratio in meal in favor of more veggies to up potassium and lower phosphorus.

I will also try to aim high potassium for my breakfast since it is the meal I can control the most.

OP
S

somuch4food

Update on this?

I'm still trying to figure it all out.

I'm currently on a non-Peat diet, low A, low fructose, high fiber that's based around beans, whole grains, meat and a bit of veggies and nuts. I have cut out dairy entirely atm. What I love about this diet is that I'm not fixated on food. I eat when I need it and get about my business after. My sleep as well as my cognition/mental issues are greatly improved even if I'm having digestive issues like gas or bloating. I also do not suffer from knee pain right now.

I do understand now that my diet needs to change according to seasons. In the summer, I can enjoy more vitamin A, but in the winter, I have to be careful to prevent my depression to come back.

I'm focusing on more water. I'm ironically trying to up potassium (My last post was about potassium deficiency).

I also think that my own propensity to mental stress is a big player as to why I can't make as much progress.

Motif

I'm still trying to figure it all out.

I'm currently on a non-Peat diet, low A, low fructose, high fiber that's based around beans, whole grains, meat and a bit of veggies and nuts. I have cut out dairy entirely atm. What I love about this diet is that I'm not fixated on food. I eat when I need it and get about my business after. My sleep as well as my cognition/mental issues are greatly improved even if I'm having digestive issues like gas or bloating. I also do not suffer from knee pain right now.

I do understand now that my diet needs to change according to seasons. In the summer, I can enjoy more vitamin A, but in the winter, I have to be careful to prevent my depression to come back.

I'm focusing on more water. I'm ironically trying to up potassium (My last post was about potassium deficiency).

I also think that my own propensity to mental stress is a big player as to why I can't make as much progress.

Potassiul through food or supplement too?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals