a tip for constipation or slow transit time

Hgreen56

i always had have some constipation and slow transic time troubles in my life and that was the first reason why i come here.

i tried al lot of things but nothing really helped me with it.
Thinks like:
- starch free (Ray's advice but didn't work)
- dairy free
- starch and dairy free at the same time.
- b vitamines like b1 (100-300mg a day) of niacinamide (500-1500mg a day)
- 30-80 gr gelatin a day (Ray's advice but didn't work)
- glycine
- bamboo shoots or carrot (Ray's advice but didn't work)
- increasing saturated fat.
- magnesium citrate
- pooping in a squat position
had all none effect.

My only solution was eat very high fiber diet (like 30-40 grams a day) but this was making my very bloat and gassy so i knew this was not right strategy for fighting constipation.

But now i am using dry coriander leafs and wow.... difference between day and night on the second day already.
I am now using 2-3 grams spread out over the day ( morning, afternoon, evening or morning and evening) and my stool become very soft.
Also my transit time is much better and pooping at least 3 times a day now. (normally i poop one time a 2 days, or one time a day if i was lucky)

Other supps that work but less is:
- magnesium oxide (1000mg spread out over the day (citrate did nothing for me, also not when taking 2 grams a day)
- ginger (1-3 grams spread out over the day)

But coriander leafs is a lot more effective and a real game changer for me and now i can ditch all other fiber rich foods without getting constipated again.
I am not sure why coriander has this effect on me.. but i guess someone here can explain it.
I know coriander has some detox effect on the liver and removing heavy metals out of the body but not sure this has anything to do with it?

coriander dry.jpg

Last edited:

serling78

i always had have some constipation and slow transic time troubles in my life and that was the first reason why i come here.

Thinks like:
- dairy free
- glycine
- magnesium citrate
had all none effect.

My only solution was eat very high fiber diet (like 30-40 grams a day) but this was making my very bloat and gassy so i knew this was not right strategy for fighting constipation.

But now i am using dry coriander leafs and wow.... difference between day and night on the second day already.
I am now using 2-3 grams spread out over the day ( morning, afternoon, evening or morning and evening) and my stool become very soft.
Also my transit time is much better and pooping at least 3 times a day now. (normally i poop one time a 2 days, or one time a day if i was lucky)

- magnesium oxide (1000mg spread out over the day (citrate did nothing for me, also not when taking 2 grams a day)

But coriander leafs is a lot more effective and a real game changer for me and now i can ditch all other fiber rich foods without getting constipated again.
I am not sure why coriander has this effect on me.. but i guess someone here can explain it.
I know coriander has some detox effect on the liver and removing heavy metals out of the body but not sure this has anything to do with it?

View attachment 21076

Interesting. I also suffer from chronic constipation and I've tried everything with no help. How do you ingest the leaves and how much per day? I'm willing to try anything at this point

Philomath

What is the official word in coriander? Are seeds Estrogenic, leaves good? Any long term issues? Sounds like I have the same “regularity” issues as you @Hgreen56 . cascara works but I hate needing to use it so often. Have you tried making a tea with the leaves?

Hans

Forum Supporter

Thinks like:
- dairy free
- glycine
- magnesium citrate
had all none effect.

View attachment 21076
Keep us posted if the results remain after a few weeks of use.

OP
Hgreen56

Hgreen56

Interesting. I also suffer from chronic constipation and I've tried everything with no help. How do you ingest the leaves and how much per day? I'm willing to try anything at this point
just a little teaspoon (like one gram) from the jar straight in the mouth. 3 times a day...
i am now experimenting with the raw plant en put it in my meals.

iu

What is the official word in coriander? Are seeds Estrogenic, leaves good? Any long term issues? Sounds like I have the same “regularity” issues as you @Hgreen56 . cascara works but I hate needing to use it so often. Have you tried making a tea with the leaves?
i only use the leeves for now. i am to lazy to make tea from it.
its also called as cilantro

you have already tried magnesium oxide?
This is nr 2 in my favorite laxative remedy list.

Last edited:

paciencia

I might have to try this out myself, I’ve been struggling to find an effective constipation remedy

serling78

I always see cascara being recommended, but like most things it must vary per individual. I tried it for a while and saw no benefits for constipation.

mrchibbs

I always see cascara being recommended, but like most things it must vary per individual. I tried it for a while and saw no benefits for constipation.

Absolutely it varies, but one thing with cascara is that it has to be taken in a certain way to get the full effectiveness.Capsules can be rather useless. Another thing is it has to be aged, which is not the case with some products.

The way I do is add 1/3-1/2tsp of the aged powder to a cup and then cover with just a little bit of hot, boiling water, then stir.

This way the cascara dissolves fully into a slurry. You can then fill the rest of the glass/cup with juice.

It's also important I think to underline that cascara works differently from other commercial laxatives, and it usually takes 12-24hrs to see a good effect.

serling78

Thinks like:
- dairy free
- glycine
- magnesium citrate
had all none effect.

View attachment 21076
I've been using the exact same bottle pictured for about 3 days and it's definitely helping. I do feel like it may be unsustainable due to the price though. That small jar cost me $10 on Amazon and I don't think it will even last a week. I've been doing 2-3 tablespoons a day.

As far as results, it's gentle. I've tried other remedies that end up just giving me a weird form of constipated diarrhea. This however just seems to soften things up. No diarrhea. So that's good

serling78

Sorry meant to say 2-3 Teaspoons a day. I'll have to look into buying in bulk if it keeps working.

dukesbobby777

I don’t understand how cascara can not work for somebody. It has very clear and obvious effects on the gut. Saying that, I’ve never tried the capsules. Using it in tea form (the way it’s always traditionally been used) just seems kind of straight forward to me. Also, after experiencing the effects that liquids (like orange juice and strong coffee) can have on stimulating the bowel, that says to me that the tea ingestion method with cascara is the way it should be done. If you are going to take the capsules, at least wash it down with liquid, so it has the chance to disperse into the liquid ingested with it.

I think you can go a long way though to improving transit time by eliminating certain food groups (gluten and dairy can be prime offenders). But it has to be accompanied by increased thyroid function. I struggled with constipation for the first three years of Peating. Long term PUFA restriction does work in that respect as four years in, my regularity improved a lot, and hasn’t been a problem since (now 7 yrs PUFA restriction). Still, it’s useful to keep cascara around for occasions when you might rarely need it (that’s my mindset towards having it on the shelf).

Cilantro sounds interesting in that it might be similar to something like aloe vera, whereby it’s soothing to gut. I wonder what Ray thinks about it.

Last edited:

serling78

I don’t understand how cascara can not work for somebody. It has very clear and obvious effects on the gut. Saying that, I’ve never tried the capsules. Using it in tea form (the way it’s always traditionally been used) just seems kind of straight forward to me. Also, after experiencing the effects that liquids (like orange juice and strong coffee) can have on stimulating the bowel, that says to me that the tea ingestion method with cascara is the way it should be done. If you are going to take the capsules, at least wash it down with liquid, so it has the chance to disperse into the liquid ingested with it.

I think you can go a long way though to improving transit time by eliminating certain food groups (gluten and dairy can be prime offenders). But it has to be accompanied by increased thyroid function. I struggled with constipation for the first three years of Peating. Long term PUFA restriction does work in that respect as four years in, my regularity improved a lot, and hasn’t been a problem since (now 7 yrs PUFA restriction). Still, it’s useful to keep cascara around for occasions when you might rarely need it (that’s my mindset towards having it on the shelf).

Cilantro sounds interesting in that it might be similar to something like aloe vera, whereby it’s soothing to gut. I wonder what Ray thinks about it.
I'd be interested in trying cascara tea. Do you buy leaves in bulk and make tea or is there a product already in tea form?

I've been looking online and on Amazon and I can't find any one product that is clearly cascara tea. I know for cascara the quality is a big deal so I don't want to waste money on the wrong product. Can anyone recommend something specific? Preferably on Amazon so I don't have to wait forever

Last edited:

dukesbobby777

I'd be interested in trying cascara tea. Do you buy leaves in bulk and make tea or is there a product already in tea form?

I buy aged extracts and you add hot water to the powder. A dose could be 800mg for example. So the powders come with scoops to dose the amount you want to take. Life Giving Store sell one on this site. Health Natura do one, but their powder isn’t great at dispersing into the liquid IIRC.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals