A Second Opinion.

My girlfriend had a TSH of 8 when taking a blood test about ten weeks ago (T3 and T4 was about normal). She was the prescribed 'levaxin, 50mg' (which is a T4 only drug). Yesterday she take a new blood test and got the answers from the doctor today. TSH is down to 4. The doctor seemed to think that this was 'just about right' and was not willing to increase the dose (even when told that problems with weight and low energy persisted). In Sweden, where we live, it is known to be very hard to get good help for thyroid problems. I know there are a lot of people her knowing a lot of thyroid health, so I would like your opinion on thoose numbers. Is it a bad idea to go the route buying cytomel or NDT ourselves and dont care about the doctor?

tara

Vaelkommen Robert

Is it a bad idea to go the route buying cytomel or NDT ourselves and dont care about the doctor?
Did the T4 she's had so far help, even if not enough yet?

I'd say read a lot about it (Peat's articles, this forum, other sources), and once she's got a grip on how it might work and how to approach it and what to look out for, consider taking it cautiously into her own hands.
Peat has said that most people who need to supplement thyroid usually do best on a ratio of 1:2 - 1:4 of T3:T4. So she may benefit from adding a small amount of T3 if you can get hold of some.

In the meantime, it may also be useful to consider whether there are any current lifestyle factors that may have contributed to the low thyroid function, that can also be improved.
You'll find lots of ideas in Peat's articles, interviews and in this forum about other tactics - nutrition, light, CO2, ... Under-nutrition can contribute to low thyroid function, and supplementing thyroid can deepen nutritional deficiencies, so it's important to be well-nourished.

Lycka till

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals