readforjoy

Hi everyone,
I'm just starting this whole Ray Peat thing this week. A quick intro:

What's your age? 46 female

How did you find the forum? surfing the internet

How did you find Ray Peat's work? thru Matt Stone and googling "pregnenolone"

How long have you been Peating? a few days

What is your favorite part about Peating? sugar, ice cream, fruit

What is the worst part? too hard to eat out! Husband loves fast food. Any suggestions? I also have fructose malabsorption so orange juice and many fruits are a no-go for me.

What are your health issues? Low cortisol and low thyroid= fatigue, hair loss, etc.

Looking forward to learning from you all.

Lorna

4peatssake

:welcome2 to the forum Lorna!

Glad you have joined us!

Dan W

Yes, welcome, Lorna.

I think I recall Peat being skeptical of the standard view of fructose malabsorption. If you haven't already, it might be an interesting experiment to try pure fructose powder to make absolutely sure it's to blame.

Mittir

What are your health issues? Low cortisol and low thyroid= fatigue, hair loss, etc.

How did you diagnose your low cortisol status? Did you do blood test for cortisol?
High cortisol and Low thyroid go hand in hand. Any blood test for thyroid?

OP
R

readforjoy

Yes, I have done the fructose powder test. Instant gas and diarrhea. I was told that I lack the enzymes necessary to breakdown certain sugars such as lactose, fructose, fructans in wheat, galactans in legumes, and any sugar alcohols that end in "tol" such as sorbitol. Thankfully, this is not the same as fructose intolerance.

My blood test for cortisol was fine 17.2 (range 2-19). My saliva cortisol test showed low throughtout the day and high at night:
morning 4.1 (range 3.7-9.5)
noon .9 (range 1.2-3.0)
evening 1 (range .6-1.9)
night 1.1 (range .4-1.0)

Latest thyroid test:
TSH 5.72 (range .450-4.50), Free T3 3.3 (range 2.0-4.4), Free T4 1.06 (range .82-1.77)

Any thoughts? I'm doing better now that I'm on pregnenolone and T3.

Mittir

Out of 4 test for cortisol only the noon was below range. Did you test the noon one after snack or lunch?
Small meal can lower cortisol if it was high. It is clear low cortisol is not your problem.
Your night time cortisol is high. You can drink OJ or milk with some added sugar or honey
before bed to lower your night time cortisol. Your focus should be lowering your TSH
below 2, ideally less than 1. RP suggests combination of t3 and t4 for better result.
Check thread on thyroid doses on this forum.
Low thyroid people often have problem with digesting sugars like lactose, sucrose and
fructose. Fixing your thyroid should solve that problem. Daily raw carrot salad also
improves thyroid function and digestion.

OP
R

readforjoy

[highlight=#ffff80]Out of 4 test for cortisol only the noon was below range.Did you test the noon one after snack or lunch?
Small meal can lower cortisol if it was high. It is clear low cortisol is not your problem.[/highlight]

I don't know how much stock to put into it, but Stop The Thyroid Madness says my 3 daytime readings are too low to be optimal, especially the morning and the noon.

I followed the instructions exactly for doing the cortisol test which means I did not eat for several hours prior to each sample I took.

[highlight=#ffff80]Your focus should be lowering your TSH
below 2, ideally less than 1. RP suggests combination of t3 and t4 for better result.[/highlight]

I would like to be on dessicated thyroid with both T3 & T4 (far cheaper), but every time I've tried to take it, it makes me worse. From what I've read, this points to low cortisol. Will T3 only lower my TSH?

[highlight=#ffff80]Low thyroid people often have problem with digesting sugars like lactose, sucrose and
fructose. Fixing your thyroid should solve that problem. Daily raw carrot salad also
improves thyroid function and digestion.[/highlight]

I really hope that my digestion will improve. Would love to eat carrots, but, unfortunately, they cause diarrhea right away, too. :(

Mittir

Stop Thyroid Madness has completely different views on things like cortisol, iron and thyroid
than Ray Peat. I think they are completely wrong on these issues and they don't provide any scientific
evidence to prove their claims. Cortisol is a stress hormone and this should be as low as possible.
You can read Ray Peat's articles on thyroid and stress hormone. http://www.raypeat.com You also can explore his comments on these issues at http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2011/12/ ... tandi.html . Check our threads on thyroid med and how people take this med.

Ray Peat does not recommend dessicated thyroid anymore. He thinks product quality is poor.
He uses cynoplus, thyrolar or mix of synthetic T3 and T4.Talk to your doctor about appropriate dose.

You can also use cooked bamboo shoot instead of raw carrot.
If you slowly introduce carrot body will get used to it.
It is very important that you follow Ray Peat's dietary guideline for better thyroid and health.

J

j.

Mittir said:
Talk to your doctor about appropriate dose.

You can also use cooked bamboo shoot instead of raw carrot.
If you slowly introduce carrot body will get used to it.
It is very important that you follow Ray Peat's dietary guideline for better thyroid and health.

Yeah, but if you "talk to your doctor" about appropriate dose, you're likely to often get a dose of zero mcgs when you need more.

Mittir

@j
readforjoy is already taking pregnenolone and T3. I guess doctor prescribed T3.
I believe it is forum policy not to give specific medical advice, like suggesting
doses of T3 and T4.

J

j.

Mittir said:
I believe it is forum policy not to give specific medical advice, like suggesting
doses of T3 and T4.

I thought the point of the whole forum was to give "medical advice".

4peatssake

j. said:
Mittir said:
doses of T3 and T4.
I thought the point of the whole forum was to give "medical advice".
From the About section of the forum. Bold is mine

DISCLAIMER :

Content and information placed in the Ray Peat Forum does not necessarily reflect the views of Ray Peat Forum.

While it is permissible to discuss medically-oriented topics, nothing posted here should in any way be interpreted as authoritative medical advice.

While the information provided by knowledgeable members is certainly available for the education of forum members, Ray Peat Forum makes no claim of accuracy and does not endorse suggestions or recommendations set forth here.

For products and services discussed in the forum, Ray Peat Forum or any of its operators or facilitators make any representations with respect to the contents thereof, and specifically disclaim any implied or express warrants of merchantability or fitness for any particular usage, application or purpose.

Ray Peat Forum does not necessarily verify the information in its forums, and therefore, cannot judge the merits or lack thereof, of any offering, information, suggestions, ideas, opinions or advice.

*This message is not intended to discourage people from posting, only to encourage those posting to be very careful about providing specific medical advice. We welcome everyone's input and hope that this forum will continue to grow as an open and enjoyable platform for discussing Dr. Ray Peat's Philosophies.

Back
Top Bottom