A Question To Individuals That Consume 200g+ Of Protein

youngsinatra

I eat 4 meals a day roughly. You maximize MPS with 30 to 50g grams of protein per meal, every 3-4 hours. When you are younger relatively less protein is needed to maximally stimulate Muscle Protein Synthesis, I think 20-25g being sufficient whereas in older individuals (50+), they tend to require between 40-50g of bioavailable protein per meal for MPS to maintain their muscle mass.

laleto12

I eat 4 meals a day roughly. You maximize MPS with 30 to 50g grams of protein per meal, every 3-4 hours. When you are younger relatively less protein is needed to maximally stimulate Muscle Protein Synthesis, I think 20-25g being sufficient whereas in older individuals (50+), they tend to require between 40-50g of bioavailable protein per meal for MPS to maintain their muscle mass.
Whats the carb/protein ratio in your meals? and from what sources of carbs?

youngsinatra

Whats the carb/protein ratio in your meals? and from what sources of carbs?
2:1 carbs to protein mostly.

Basic meal is like 200g of lean beef (40g protein) + 100g of basmati rice (75g carbs; 10g protein) + 250ml fresh orange juice (25g carbs) (and condiments, vegetables and salt)
Total of 50g protein, 100g carbs.

GreekDemiGod

I'm finding it tricky to get ahold of affordable lean protein sources. Lean cuts of beef are the most expensive.
Lean chicken is cheaper, but I don't like it that much.
I already get plenty of fat in my diet from eggs cheese, dark chocolate, coconut oil.
So I've been eating a lot of tuna lately, it has zero fat. Any downsides to it(mercury)?

milkboi

I'm finding tricky to get ahold of affordable lean protein sources. Lean cuts of beef are the most expensive. I already get plenty of fat in my diet from eggs cheese, dark chocolate, coconut oil
So I've been eating a lot of tuna lately, it has zero fat. Any downsides to it(mercury)?
Yeah, heavy metal content is not negligible unfortunately. I wouldn't eat it daily. Low fat dairy and chicken would probably be your best bet.

shine

I'm finding it tricky to get ahold of affordable lean protein sources. Lean cuts of beef are the most expensive.
I already get plenty of fat in my diet from eggs cheese, dark chocolate, coconut oil.
5% fat ground beef is cheaper than chicken breast where I live. Don't you have an option like that?
Lean ground beef is also incredibly practical, you just put it in your pan with a cup of water and that's it. Done in <5 minutes.

youngsinatra

5% fat ground beef is cheaper than chicken breast where I live. Don't you have an option like that?
Lean ground beef is also incredibly practical, you just put it in your pan with a cup of water and that's it. Done in <5 minutes.
Yes for me too. It's also rich in choline, B-vitamins, zinc and selenium.

Might help to take a selenium supplement. Low dose, once or twice per week. That's part of the primary way the body excretes mercury.

I eat 1-2 cans of tuna per week now. I've been as high as 7-8 for a year and don't recommend it based in what I know now. Fortunately did not perceive negative effects.

Concerning other low fat non-dairy protein options, do you have frozen Pangasius filet in your country? I'm not sure of the toxin content, but here in NL it's less than €6.00 p/kg and can be flavoured with whatever you normally use for chicken because it is pretty much tasteless (like chicken breast). Check your supermarket freezer fish section, and you might find a low fat fish alternative.

Other than that, I advise checking out an Islamic butcher if you have a large enough immigrant population (assuming you reside in Europe, lol). Their products are fresher and often tastier than Dutch supermarket meat options, and almost always cheaper per kg. For example, I bought ribeye for as low as €8.00 p/kg in Rotterdam, and, outside of Muslim concentrated urban hubs, I can get for €11,00. If not Muslim, check out other ethnic butchers. Their customers typically don't have as much spending power as you do, so they price accordingly.

If these prices are too steep for you still, buy full fat ground beef (that has too be cheap in every country when discounted), cook, and strain out excess grease. Don't forget to compare ground beef with goat or sheep or other domestic ruminants. Prices may vary in your favour. If you live in Madagascar, for instance, I'd recommend going for the local traditional zebu meat :)

Razvan

Lamb,milk eggs. Lamb pretty affordable and lower fat than beef.

OP
R

Ron J

I've been eating a lot of tuna to keep fat low.
@Homo Consumericus what were the side effects?

@youngsinatra Thanks. I didn't know that.

I eat 4 meals. I don't like feeling heavy when I'm active, so my first and last meals contain the most protein.
Do any of you get thirsty after high protein meals? Or could it be a drop in blood sugar?