750mg for one capsule at 45% saponins, looks like one a day or one every other day would be good enough. Which makes the stuff quite cheap.

Last edited:

japanesedude

I think herbal supplements can lose its effects very quickly by building up tolerance.
I've tested tongkhatali,ashwagandha,muira puama etc but only the first dose had significant effects.

Wagner83

Tribulus terrestris extracts alleviate muscle damage and promote anaerobic performance of trained male boxers and its mechanisms: Roles of androgen... - PubMed - NCBI
Abstract
Purpose:
To investigate the effects of Tribulus terrestris (TT) extracts on muscle mass, muscle damage, and anaerobic performances of trained male boxers and its mechanisms: roles of plasma androgen, insulin growth factor 1 (IGF-1), and IGF-1 binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3).

Methods:
Fifteen male boxers were divided into exercise group (E, n = 7) and exercise plus TT group (E + TT, n = 8). The 2 groups both undertook 3-week high-intensity and 3-week high-volume trainings separated by a 4-week rest. TT extracts (1250 mg/day) were orally administered by boxers in E + TT group. TT extract compositions were detected by UHPLC-Q-TOF/MS. Before and at the end of the 2 trainings, muscle mass, anaerobic performance, and blood indicators were explored.

Results:
Compared with E group, decreases of plasma CK (1591.5 ± 909.6 U/L vs. 2719.9 ± 832.5 U/L) and IGFBP-3 (3075.5 ± 1072.5 ng/mL vs. 3950.8 ± 479.3 ng/mL) as well as increases of mean power (MP, 459.4 ± 122.3 W vs. 434.6 ± 69.5 W) and MP/body weight (MP/BW, 7.5 ± 0.9 W/kg vs. 7.1 ± 1.1 W/kg) were detected in E + TT group after a high-intensity training. For high-volume training, reduction of IGFBP-3 (2946.4 ± 974.1 ng/mL vs. 3632.7 ± 470.1 ng/mL) and increases of MP (508.7 ± 103.2 W vs. 477.8 ± 49.9 W) and MP/BW (8.2 ± 0.3 W/kg vs. 7.5 ± 0.9 W/kg) were detected in E + TT group, compared with E group. Muscle mass, blood levels of testosterone, dihydrotestosterone (DHT), and IGF-1 were not signifiantly changed between the 2 groups.

Conclusion:
Taking 1250 mg capsules containing TT extracts did not change muscle mass and plasma levels of testosterone, DHT, and IGF-1 but significantly alleviated muscle damage and promoted anaerobic performance of trained male boxers, which may be related to the decrease of plasma IGFBP-3 rather than androgen in plasma.
Effects of Tribulus terrestris saponins on exercise performance in overtraining rats and the underlying mechanisms. - PubMed - NCBI
Abstract
The objective of this study was to determine the effects of Tribulus terrestris L. (TT) saponins on exercise performance and the underlying mechanisms. A rat overtraining model was established and animals were treated with TT extracts (120 mg/kg body mass) 30 min before each training session. Serum levels of testosterone and corticosterone and levels of androgen receptor (AR) and insulin growth factor-1 receptor (IGF-1R) in the liver, gastrocnemius, and soleus were determined by ELISA and Western blot. Treatment of rats with TT saponins significantly improved the performance of the overtraining rats, reflected by the extension of time to exhaustion, with a concomitant increase in body mass, relative mass, and protein levels of gastrocnemius. Overtraining alone induced a significant decrease in the serum level of testosterone. In contrast, treatment with TT saponins dramatically increased the serum level of testosterone in overtraining rats to about 150% of control and 216% of overtraining groups, respectively. In addition, TT saponins resulted in a further significant increase in AR in gastrocnemius and significantly suppressed the overtraining-induced increase in IGF-1R in the liver. These results indicated that TT saponins increased performance, body mass, and gastrocnemius mass of rats undergoing overtraining, which might be attributed to the changes in androgen-AR axis and IGF-1R signaling.
Tribulus terrestris versus placebo in the treatment of erectile dysfunction and lower urinary tract symptoms in patients with late-onset hypogonadi... - PubMed - NCBI
Abstract
Aging is associated with a series of morphological and functional modifications that leads to reduced physiological efficiency and atrophy of various organs and systems. Tribulus terrestris induces its effect in fertility and sexual functions through the steroidal saponins, particularly the dominant saponins protodioscin. We aimed in this study to evaluate the efficacy and safety profiles of Tribulus terrestris in aging males with partial androgen deficiency who suffered from erectile dysfunction and lower urinary tract symptoms. A total of 70 randomized aging patients with erectile dysfunction and lower urinary tract symptoms were recruited from June 2017 to March 2018 from our andrology outpatient clinic. Thirty-five patients (group A) received Tribulus terrestris three times daily for 3 months and the other 35 patients (group B) received placebo. The mean of aspartate transaminase was elevated in group A after 3 months of receiving Tribulus terrestris (26.5 (before), 27.8 (after), respectively, p = 0.03). Moreover, there were significant elevations in the means of both total testosterone together with the score of the validated Arabic index of erectile function (5-item version of the International Index of Erectile Function) (2.2, 10.7 (before), 2.7, 16.1 (after), p < 0.001, p < 0.001, respectively). Finally, the mean of the total prostate-specific antigen was elevated in this group (1.4 (before), 1.7 (before), p = 0.007, respectively). Interestingly, there were no worsening of the lower urinary tract symptoms in group A as there was no change in the mean score of the international prostate symptom score, which was used to assess these symptoms before and after treatment (mean 14.4 (before), 14.6 (after), p = 0.67, respectively). In sum, this study replicates the findings of previous reports about the robust effect of this herbal medicine in elevating the testosterone level and improving the sexual function of patients who suffered from erectile dysfunction with partial androgen deficiency.
Tribulus terrestris Protects against Male Reproductive Damage Induced by Cyclophosphamide in Mice. - PubMed - NCBI
Tribulus terrestris (TT) has been considered as a potential stimulator of testosterone production, which has been related with steroidal saponins prevailing in this plant. Cyclophosphamide (CP) is the most commonly used anticancer and immunosuppressant drug, which causes several toxic effects, especially on the reproductive system. Patients who need to use CP therapy exhibit reduced fertility or infertility, which impacts both physically and emotionally on the decision to use this drug, especially among young men. We hypothesized that the treatment with TT dry extract would protect the male reproductive system against CP toxicity. Mice received dry extract of TT (11 mg/kg) or vehicle by gavage for 14 days. Saline or CP was injected intraperitoneally at a single dose (100 mg/kg) on the 14th day. Animals were euthanized 24 h after CP administration, and testes and epididymis were removed for biochemical and histopathological analysis and sperm evaluation. The dry extract of TT was evaluated by HPLC analysis and demonstrated the presence of protodioscin (1.48%, w/w). CP exposure increased lipid peroxidation, reactive species, and protein carbonylation and altered antioxidant enzymes (SOD, CAT, GPx, GST, and GR). Moreover, acute exposure to CP caused a reduction on 17 β-HSD activity, which may be related to the reduction in serum testosterone levels, histopathological changes observed in the testes, and the quality of the semen. The present study highlighted the role of TT dry extract to ameliorate the alterations induced by CP administration in mice testes, probably due to the presence of protodioscin.
Saponins of Tribulus terrestris attenuated neuropathic pain induced with vincristine through central and peripheral mechanism. - PubMed - NCBI
Abstract
The study comprises exploring the effects of saponins from Tribulus terrestris (TT) in attenuating the neuropathic pain caused by vincristine (100 μg/ml i.p.) for 10 days (in two 5 day cycles with 2 days pause). Mechanical hyperalgesia and allodynia were assessed by Randall-Sellitto and electronic von Frey tests, respectively. Chemical- induced nociception was assessed by formalin test. Neurophysiological effect of the extract was evaluated by recording sciatic functional index (SFI) on the test days (7, 10, 14, and 21) and sciatic nerve conduction velocity test (SNCV) on the last day. Inflammatory mediators (TNF-α, IL-1β, and IL-6) in both sciatic nerve and brain and brain neurotransmitters, glutamate and aspartate, were measured to support the behavioral response. The saponins of TT-treated group were found to be effective in the behavioral experiments, implying its activity both centrally and peripherally in attenuating pain. The inflammatory mediators in both sciatic nerve and brain (TNF-α, IL-1β, and IL-6) were found to be attenuated with TT saponin treatment in comparison to vincristine-treated group, indicating its anti-inflammatory property. The excitatory neurotransmitters, L-glutamic acid and L-aspartic acid, were also found to be attenuated with TT saponins, implying restoration of neuronal damage and synaptic activity caused by high amount of glutamate due to excess TNF-α in brain and reversing the nociceptive threshold lowered due to aspartate. Thus, TT(S) is peripherally and centrally active in lowering the inflammatory mediators, reversing the neuronal damage and increasing the nociceptive threshold caused due to peripheral neuropathy.

ubiety

Great thread. I've been taking TT (1 gm) for awhile now and find that it consistently gives me better pumps in the gym and recovery than when I don't take it. Also makes my balls heavier. I take it no more than 2-3 times a week to avoid building up tolerance. It only has 45% saponins so I'll be upgrading to a better one.
I am currently using only it and plan on doing a 4 week course and then doing blood tests. Will post my results when done.
How do you cycle it to prevent tolerance?

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Great thread. I've been taking TT (1 gm) for awhile now and find that it consistently gives me better pumps in the gym and recovery than when I don't take it. Also makes my balls heavier. I take it no more than 2-3 times a week to avoid building up tolerance. It only has 45% saponins so I'll be upgrading to a better one.

How do you cycle it to prevent tolerance?

I do not seem to develop tolerance when taking it once daily at 750mg dose. More frequent but smaller doses seemed to cause more tolerance. Have not used it by itself for long enough though, I always used it with pregnenolone/DHEA, which seems to prevent tolerance to most steroids. So, I'll know more in 3 weeks.

Cameron

I do not seem to develop tolerance when taking it once daily at 750mg dose. More frequent but smaller doses seemed to cause more tolerance. Have not used it by itself for long enough though, I always used it with pregnenolone/DHEA, which seems to prevent tolerance to most steroids. So, I'll know more in 3 weeks.
Excited to see your labs I'm doing mine in a couple weeks to test before and after of pan andro and tt I'm 25 had low preg and dhea before so interested to see inprovmrnts but I had normal test levels and hold lots of thick muscle mass

ubiety

I'll try TT more frequently along with pansterone to see if it prevents tolerance and how that works. That would be awesome if it does! Should Preg/DHEA be cycled?

Excited to see your labs I'm doing mine in a couple weeks to test before and after of pan andro and tt I'm 25 had low preg and dhea before so interested to see inprovmrnts but I had normal test levels and hold lots of thick muscle mass

Very excited to see those labs mate!

vulture

If you show nice labs I would add more, I’d like to try it if it boosts muscle gain and testosterone

Cameron

@haidut what are your thoughts on butea superba and free t and dht It seems to have similar action on htpa! Tt seems to have more studies I'm saying but butea superba seems potent your thoughts?

Cameron

@haidut what are your thoughts on butea superba and free t and dht It seems to have similar action on htpa! Tt seems to have more studies I'm saying but butea superba seems potent your thoughts?

paymanz

what do you think about protodioscin's solubility? there is not much data about this in my search. i only can find the 0.9mg/L solubility in water and some sources even say its less soluble in alcohol!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
what are root and fruit differences in effect in general?

Studies found that the leaves contained the highest amount of saponins and especially protodioscin. Other pasts are find too but have lower amount of active ingredients. It does not really matter if the extract is standardized for a specific amount of saponins. It only matters if you are making your own extract or brewing tea with it. Then you'd want to use the leaves I guess.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

I don't think free T/DHT are indicative of good health. A number of studies showed that high levels of free hormones are not associated with health, but total T/DHT is as ti indicates gonadal function, which is correlated with thyroid function. High free T/DHT usually means adrenal hyperactivity and possibly high FFA/estrogen.

Owen B

I don't think free T/DHT are indicative of good health. A number of studies showed that high levels of free hormones are not associated with health, but total T/DHT is as ti indicates gonadal function, which is correlated with thyroid function. High free T/DHT usually means adrenal hyperactivity and possibly high FFA/estrogen.
But does that mean that low free T or DHT is good?

And unless I am mistaken I thought I saw you say somewhere that total T was not a good measure of health because it showed "pooling". I.e., T was not turning over.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
But does that mean that low free T or DHT is good?

And unless I am mistaken I thought I saw you say somewhere that total T was not a good measure of health because it showed "pooling". I.e., T was not turning over.

If by low you mean chronically below bottom limit of normal then probably not. It may suggest issues with liver or kidneys. I never said free T/DHT should be low , but rather than them being higher being used as surrogate for male health is woefully misguided and wrong.

Cameron

@haidut how is the tt working for you so far? And do you not like butea superba I've heard a few discussed it but not much research my friend said btw tribulus made him very hairy after taking it!