A Possible Alternative To Cascara

Birdie

Update. I'm doing well with the Now brand P'DA. Taking just one with breakfast.
The Cascara seems to have been the culprit. Glad this is working. But the Cascara worked for a couple of years before I started getting the cramps.
Could be it was changed. Who knows. I was using Now brand for about 4 years.

Kray

The Cascara seems to have been the culprit. Glad this is working. But the Cascara worked for a couple of years before I started getting the cramps.

Thanks for that information, I'll give it a try, since I've only relied on cascara for same purpose, might be good to alternate when needed, plus so many other good benefits!

Kray

How did it work for you?

Sorry, I didn't really follow through after my post. But I've taken cascara long enough, as Birdie, to think a break is a good thing. I took some P'Da last evening, 545 mg, maybe too early to tell how to compare, but some dry skin issues I've been having surprisingly seemed less noticeable this morning! I will definitely keep it going this time, and will try to remember to post back later. So many positive reviews from users of P'Da, and seems overall to be safe for many issues. I'll ask Birdie what's up with her-- and how about you?

Kray

Are you still taking the P'Da? How much, your findings?

aquaman

I had a colonoscopy recently due to pain in abdomen. All fine, but the doc said "you take a lot of laxatives don't you?" and pointed to white dots on the wall of the colon.

I take cascara regularly and have added in lapodin in last couple of months.

Kray

I had a colonoscopy recently due to pain in abdomen. All fine, but the doc said "you take a lot of laxatives don't you?" and pointed to white dots on the wall of the colon.

What about the white dots? Good, bad?

jyb

Wait, why do laxative result in white dots in the colon?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Wait, why do laxative result in white dots in the colon?

Actually, cascara can give the so-called melanosis coli:
Melanosis coli - Wikipedia

It is actually darkening of the colon due to anthraquinone use but the darkening may show up as white spots on imaging studies.

Kray

Yes, I remember reading something about this effect here on the forum somewhere, but nothing pathological, just a physical effect, I believe?

Aquaman, did your doctor have anything to say about the use of laxatives? Just curious.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yes, I remember reading something about this effect here on the forum somewhere, but nothing pathological, just a physical effect, I believe?

Yes, it is considered benign and only happens at very high doses used daily.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Would 10 drops of lapodin applied daily cause it?

Most likely not. We are talking 4g-5g grams of cascara daily to get this effect for most people. And it is oral cascara that does it, so if you use Lapodin topically you should be OK.

aquaman

Most likely not. We are talking 4g-5g grams of cascara daily to get this effect for most people. And it is oral cascara that does it, so if you use Lapodin topically you should be OK.

I was using 1x 500mg cascara pill about 3-4 times a week, occasionally doing 10 drops of lappdin orally instead.

ddjd

I took it about a year ago but it was on alternate days with Cascara, so my symptoms got resolved but I can't tell if it was the Cascara or lapachon that helped more. I started this thread since I know of some people who cannot tolerate Cascara at all but can tolerate lapachon and it resolved much of their stomach issues. I have not done much research beyond some reading on Pubmed showing lapachon has a strong anti-obesity effect, which is to be expected given that it is a quinone and it stimulates metabolism.
Sorry I don't have more info. Ray may have looked more into it given that Koch was experimenting with it for cancer.
@haidut it's been a few years since this post. Have you gained any more knowledge about Pau D'arco. I'm wondering why people think it's questionable long term? Using it the last few days I'm finding it very very effective

And what would you regard as a safe daily dose. I've got these 500mg powder capsules from Swanson which I can definitely feel the effect of, more energy without stress etc.

In another post on the forum, someone stated that these are the benefits from Pau D'arco

Quinones (lapachol)
Flavonoids
Lapachol (naphtoquinone) (close to vitamin K)
Carnosol
Indoles
Coenzyme Q
Alkaloids (tecomine)
Steroid Saponins
Benzoic acid
Xyloidine, antibiotical and antiviral agent, very powerful.

And they said the ones to be worried about are Alkaloids (tecomine) and Steroid Saponins.

Also it was mentioned that Pau D'arco has a blood thinning effect so k2 needed to balance?? Ever heard of this?

Last edited:

accelerator

Just added this to my herbal anti cancer arsenal, plus for the gut health...1 tsp every other day in oj...immediately/finally my bowel movements are perfect...cascara every other day was working but not as well as wanted...now I alternate them....feels good, I like it...and there seems to be a list of benefits.

What was it you were using? Pau d'arco?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals