• THANKSGIVING SALE: 15% Off @ LifeGivingStore.com & SuchLabs.com Till November 28th With Coupon Code: THANKS2022
    Click Here For Lifegivingstore.com
    Click Here For SuchLabs.com
  • Due to excessive bot signups along with nefarious actors we are limiting forum registration. Keep checking back for the register link to appear. Please do not send emails or have someone post to the forum asking for a signup link. Until the current climate changes we do not see a change of this policy. To join the forum you must have a compelling reason. Letting us know what skills/knowledge you will bring to the community along with the intent of your stay here will help in getting you approved.

A Possible Alternative To Cascara

haidut

Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
19,198
Location
USA / Europe
Ray mentioned briefly in one of his articles about Koch's work with some of the lesser known anti-cancer substances.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ca ... buse.shtml

"...By the time coenzyme Q10, ubiquinone, was officially discovered, Koch had moved to Brazil to continue his work with the biological effects of the quinones, including the anthraquinone compound of brazilwood, which is used as a dye. He also used a naphthoquine, lapachon Although vitamin K was identified as a quinone (naphthoquinone) not long after coQ10 was found to be a ubiquitous component of the mitochondrial respiratory system, it wasn’t immediately recognized as another participant in that system, interacting with coQ10."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapachol

The compound is a quinone and closely related to vitamin K, which would explain its many beneficial effects. The substance is usually isolated from the bark of the Lapacho tree:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handroanthus_impetiginosus

What I find interesting is that just like Cascara, the extract from the Lapacho tree has many gut protective properties, and can probably be used in lieu of Cascara, and at a much lower cost. I personally don't know of another natural remedy that has strong anti-viral properties in the gut, anti Candida activity, anti H. Pylori (ulcer) activity, and finally anti-cancer activity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handroanthus_impetiginosus

"...In ethnomedicine, Lapacho plays an important role for several South American indigenous peoples. In the past decades it has been used by herbalists as a general tonic, immunostimulant,[8] and adaptogen. It is used in herbal medicine for intestinal candidiasis.[9]
However, the main active compound lapachol has since turned out to be toxic enough to kill fetuses in pregnant rats and reduce the weight of the seminal vesicle in male rats in doses of 100 mg/kg of body weight.[10] Still, lapachol has strong antibiotic and disinfectant properties, and may be better suited for topical applications. Lapachol induces genetic damage, specifically clastogenic effects, in rats.[11] Beta-lapachone has a direct cytotoxic effect and the loss of telomerase activity in leukemia cells in vitro.[12]
The ethnomedical use of Lapacho and other Handroanthus teas is usually short-term, to get rid of acute ailments, and not as a general tonic. Usefulness as a short-term antimicrobial and disinfecting expectorant, e.g. against PCP in AIDS patients, is yet to be scientifically studied. Handroanthus impetiginosus inner bark seems to have anti-Helicobacter pylori activity.[13] and has some effects on other human intestinal bacteria.[14]"

In USA the Lapacho tree is known as Pau D'Arco and extract in pills or powder can be bought cheaply in most health stores. If anybody knows more about it or has talked to peat about it, please share whatever info you have.
 

4peatssake

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2013
Messages
2,055
Age
61
Very interesting. Thanks haidut.

I've heard of this but for the life of me can't remember the context nor can locate any information in my files. :?

I came across this advice online when purchasing.
When purchasing Pau d'Arco, be sure that you're buying a quality product from the right store. Don't be fooled by vendors that sell what is claimed to be Pau d'Arco, but ends up being a saw dust capsule. If you're buying at a health store in town, be sure to look on the product's label for Tabebuia Impetiginosa, ipe roxo, or another synonym for Pau d'Arco. Also see if it specifically clarifies inner bark, to ensure that you receive lapacho as you hope.
Paudarco.org

Going to look into this more. Thanks again for the info.
 

4peatssake

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2013
Messages
2,055
Age
61
I just bought some bark from iherb and lucked into some reward deal and only had to pay for shipping.

It's a good deal to start with at only $9.80 for Frontier Natural Products, Cut & Sifted, Pau d'Arco Bark, 16 oz (453 g)

It was a product featured on the site I linked earlier and comes from the inner bark.

Description

Tabebuia Impetiginosa
Herbal Supplement
Kosher
Non-Irradiated

Pau d'Arco is the inner bark of a tropical tree native to Central and South America. The tea brewed from this species is commonly referred to as Lapacho or Taheebo and contains lapachol, quercetin and flavonoids.
Suggested Use

To prepare as a tea, pour 8 oz boiling water over 1-2 teaspoons of herb. Cover and steep for 5-10 minutes, strain and serve immediately.
Link to Product on iHerb
 

Kray

Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2014
Messages
1,271
haidut said:
Ray mentioned briefly in one of his articles about Koch's work with some of the lesser known anti-cancer substances.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ca ... buse.shtml

"...By the time coenzyme Q10, ubiquinone, was officially discovered, Koch had moved to Brazil to continue his work with the biological effects of the quinones, including the anthraquinone compound of brazilwood, which is used as a dye. He also used a naphthoquine, lapachon Although vitamin K was identified as a quinone (naphthoquinone) not long after coQ10 was found to be a ubiquitous component of the mitochondrial respiratory system, it wasn’t immediately recognized as another participant in that system, interacting with coQ10."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapachol

The compound is a quinone and closely related to vitamin K, which would explain its many beneficial effects. The substance is usually isolated from the bark of the Lapacho tree:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handroanthus_impetiginosus

What I find interesting is that just like Cascara, the extract from the Lapacho tree has many gut protective properties, and can probably be used in lieu of Cascara, and at a much lower cost. I personally don't know of another natural remedy that has strong anti-viral properties in the gut, anti Candida activity, anti H. Pylori (ulcer) activity, and finally anti-cancer activity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handroanthus_impetiginosus

"...In ethnomedicine, Lapacho plays an important role for several South American indigenous peoples. In the past decades it has been used by herbalists as a general tonic, immunostimulant,[8] and adaptogen. It is used in herbal medicine for intestinal candidiasis.[9]
However, the main active compound lapachol has since turned out to be toxic enough to kill fetuses in pregnant rats and reduce the weight of the seminal vesicle in male rats in doses of 100 mg/kg of body weight.[10] Still, lapachol has strong antibiotic and disinfectant properties, and may be better suited for topical applications. Lapachol induces genetic damage, specifically clastogenic effects, in rats.[11] Beta-lapachone has a direct cytotoxic effect and the loss of telomerase activity in leukemia cells in vitro.[12]
The ethnomedical use of Lapacho and other Handroanthus teas is usually short-term, to get rid of acute ailments, and not as a general tonic. Usefulness as a short-term antimicrobial and disinfecting expectorant, e.g. against PCP in AIDS patients, is yet to be scientifically studied. Handroanthus impetiginosus inner bark seems to have anti-Helicobacter pylori activity.[13] and has some effects on other human intestinal bacteria.[14]"

In USA the Lapacho tree is known as Pau D'Arco and extract in pills or powder can be bought cheaply in most health stores. If anybody knows more about it or has talked to peat about it, please share whatever info you have.

Haidut,

Have you done any further research into pau d'arco's use, especially taken internally? Seems somewhat questionable from the references above and others I've read online, especially long-term. Thanks-
 

haidut

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
19,198
Location
USA / Europe
classicallady said:
haidut said:
Ray mentioned briefly in one of his articles about Koch's work with some of the lesser known anti-cancer substances.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ca ... buse.shtml

"...By the time coenzyme Q10, ubiquinone, was officially discovered, Koch had moved to Brazil to continue his work with the biological effects of the quinones, including the anthraquinone compound of brazilwood, which is used as a dye. He also used a naphthoquine, lapachon Although vitamin K was identified as a quinone (naphthoquinone) not long after coQ10 was found to be a ubiquitous component of the mitochondrial respiratory system, it wasn’t immediately recognized as another participant in that system, interacting with coQ10."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapachol

The compound is a quinone and closely related to vitamin K, which would explain its many beneficial effects. The substance is usually isolated from the bark of the Lapacho tree:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handroanthus_impetiginosus

What I find interesting is that just like Cascara, the extract from the Lapacho tree has many gut protective properties, and can probably be used in lieu of Cascara, and at a much lower cost. I personally don't know of another natural remedy that has strong anti-viral properties in the gut, anti Candida activity, anti H. Pylori (ulcer) activity, and finally anti-cancer activity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handroanthus_impetiginosus

"...In ethnomedicine, Lapacho plays an important role for several South American indigenous peoples. In the past decades it has been used by herbalists as a general tonic, immunostimulant,[8] and adaptogen. It is used in herbal medicine for intestinal candidiasis.[9]
However, the main active compound lapachol has since turned out to be toxic enough to kill fetuses in pregnant rats and reduce the weight of the seminal vesicle in male rats in doses of 100 mg/kg of body weight.[10] Still, lapachol has strong antibiotic and disinfectant properties, and may be better suited for topical applications. Lapachol induces genetic damage, specifically clastogenic effects, in rats.[11] Beta-lapachone has a direct cytotoxic effect and the loss of telomerase activity in leukemia cells in vitro.[12]
The ethnomedical use of Lapacho and other Handroanthus teas is usually short-term, to get rid of acute ailments, and not as a general tonic. Usefulness as a short-term antimicrobial and disinfecting expectorant, e.g. against PCP in AIDS patients, is yet to be scientifically studied. Handroanthus impetiginosus inner bark seems to have anti-Helicobacter pylori activity.[13] and has some effects on other human intestinal bacteria.[14]"

In USA the Lapacho tree is known as Pau D'Arco and extract in pills or powder can be bought cheaply in most health stores. If anybody knows more about it or has talked to peat about it, please share whatever info you have.

Haidut,

Have you done any further research into pau d'arco's use, especially taken internally? Seems somewhat questionable from the references above and others I've read online, especially long-term. Thanks-

I took it about a year ago but it was on alternate days with Cascara, so my symptoms got resolved but I can't tell if it was the Cascara or lapachon that helped more. I started this thread since I know of some people who cannot tolerate Cascara at all but can tolerate lapachon and it resolved much of their stomach issues. I have not done much research beyond some reading on Pubmed showing lapachon has a strong anti-obesity effect, which is to be expected given that it is a quinone and it stimulates metabolism.
Sorry I don't have more info. Ray may have looked more into it given that Koch was experimenting with it for cancer.
 

aquaman

Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2013
Messages
1,297
haidut said:
In USA the Lapacho tree is known as Pau D'Arco and extract in pills or powder can be bought cheaply in most health stores. If anybody knows more about it or has talked to peat about it, please share whatever info you have.

INteresting!

I'm sure in one of the Radio interviews Peat with the Herb Doctors RP talks about the benefits of Lapacho, and then asks the Docs if it's called Pau D'Arco in herbal medicine (to which they agree)... anyone remember the episode?
 

Kray

Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2014
Messages
1,271
Haidut, Aquaman, thanks for the posts. I had been taking both capsules and tea. For now I'm taking a break. Seems like a word search, 'ray peat and lapacho' might bring up a link?
 

4peatssake

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2013
Messages
2,055
Age
61
Haidut, I've come across additional comment from Peat regarding pau d'arco, cascara and Vit K. I've been taking the tea for 2 days (currently on day 3) and I'm noticing some good effects. I think I'm going to start taking Vitamin K again as the combination seems really good particularly for the liver.

Ray Peat and Herb Doctors said:
HD: I do want to mention some herbs. Cascara is a herb that decreases transit time and increases intestinal peristalsis and is a laxative that - if it's been aged properly (sun dried and then aged for one year)... the anthraquinones, which are the compounds in the cascara, are safe and effective in not only decreasing transit time, but also as an antibacterial. Dr Peat, tell us about the structure of tetracycline and cascara.

RP: There is a series that actually starts with vitamin K. It's a quinone structure that has been studied from about 1910 on as an anti-cancer, antiviral, energy-promoting, respiration-improving, anti-inflammatory, anti-fibrotic substance. For example, vitamin K is now used to strengthen bones, prevent osteoporosis and prevent calcification of arteries. That's a basic, vital function that does have tremendous range of functions. The emodin in cascara is a three-ring substance and the tetracycline is a four-ring substance, but they are all quinones that are intensified by adding the extra ring. So from vitamin K all the way up to tetracycline, it's a similar biological effect. It sounds too good to be true, to be able to stimulate respiration, be anti-inflammatory, germicidal, anti-cancer and so on.

HD: In case some of our listeners don't know what tetracycline is, it's a very broad-spectrum, old antibiotic that has now mostly been replaced by doxycycline. I've had plenty of arguments with doctors, saying 'please prescribe tetracycline to this client' and not doxycycline, which is the new generation tetracycline, which isn't as safe as tetracycline. But nature has a very similar compound in cascara as well as in tabebuia - otherwise known as pau d'arco - and that is not only antibacterial, it's also anti-tumour, antiviral, antifungal and anti-parasitic. Both of those herbs can be used without having to make them into a tincture - they are readily water soluble. Cascara, the dose is so low, you can just use a pinch of powder as needed and the tabebuia makes quite a nice tea. Dr Peat, you were talking to me about a decoction, a boiled wine and tabebuia/pau d'arco compound. Can you tell me a little bit more about the doctor who used that?

RP: WF Koch was a Michigan chemistry professor who went into medicine. He was at the University of Michigan at the time Moses Gomberg had discovered free radicals. It was 20 or 30 years before chemists would believe that such a thing existed. But Koch was there at the university, saw the stuff, understood its properties and started thinking about what that type of reaction would mean in the body. And he proposed that we have free radicals in the form of quinones in our mitochondria handling energy, creating all of these functions (anti-inflammatory, antiviral, anti-tumour, and so on). And he created a whole range of substances, some more powerful than others, and began giving them to cancer patients and allergy patients and even infected cows. (There was a study in California in which they cured various animal diseases with his so-called anti-cancer reagent.) The famous Albert Szent-Gyorgyi, who got a Nobel prize related to respiration and vitamin C research, based practically his whole career on working out the meaning of Koch's work with the quinones. The vitamin K ubiquinone {isn't vitamin K naphthoquinone and coenzyme Q10 ubiquinone?} is the substance that came much later to be discovered in the mitochondria. The government twice tried to put Koch in jail, saying that it was inconceivable that people could have free radicals in their cells and that it would be toxic if they did. But then it turned out that exactly the type of chemical, the quinone, that Koch had postulated turned out to be the essence of how human life creates energy.

This is from the transcript of Ray Peat's KMUD Endotoxin interview, Nov. 19, 2010
 

lindsay

Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2013
Messages
973
Location
United States
I'm pretty sure that RP mentions this stuff on his last interview with the Herb doctors - he says Tabebuia works similarly to Methylene Blue (or at least it's the closest natural substance). But Methylene Blue is super cheap - weren't you giving it a run Haidut? How did MB work for you?

I'd be interested to try Tabebuia - for all the good RP says of cascara, I don't find it's helped my digestion a whole lot. In fact, the Senna tea I used to drink gave me less stomach irritation. Then again, it could be the gelatin capsule that gives me issues with cascara. Maybe I should try making a tea with it.....
 

haidut

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
19,198
Location
USA / Europe
lindsay said:
I'm pretty sure that RP mentions this stuff on his last interview with the Herb doctors - he says Tabebuia works similarly to Methylene Blue (or at least it's the closest natural substance). But Methylene Blue is super cheap - weren't you giving it a run Haidut? How did MB work for you?

I'd be interested to try Tabebuia - for all the good RP says of cascara, I don't find it's helped my digestion a whole lot. In fact, the Senna tea I used to drink gave me less stomach irritation. Then again, it could be the gelatin capsule that gives me issues with cascara. Maybe I should try making a tea with it.....

MB is great, I was taking it in doses of 15mg a day as per the human study. However, I found that it has the same effect as the powerful incandescent lights that I am using at night, which is expected since both therapies result in removing NO from cytochrome c oxidase. So, between taking a drug and basking in the light I chose the latter:):
That being said, I keep my MB around since I also found it kills flu symptoms within a day of taking it. So, for now MB would be my go to flu shot combined with some theanine and zinc, which have also been shown to stop the flu.
 
B

Braveheart

Guest
Ray mentioned briefly in one of his articles about Koch's work with some of the lesser known anti-cancer substances.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ca ... buse.shtml

"...By the time coenzyme Q10, ubiquinone, was officially discovered, Koch had moved to Brazil to continue his work with the biological effects of the quinones, including the anthraquinone compound of brazilwood, which is used as a dye. He also used a naphthoquine, lapachon Although vitamin K was identified as a quinone (naphthoquinone) not long after coQ10 was found to be a ubiquitous component of the mitochondrial respiratory system, it wasn’t immediately recognized as another participant in that system, interacting with coQ10."

Lapachol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The compound is a quinone and closely related to vitamin K, which would explain its many beneficial effects. The substance is usually isolated from the bark of the Lapacho tree:
Handroanthus impetiginosus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What I find interesting is that just like Cascara, the extract from the Lapacho tree has many gut protective properties, and can probably be used in lieu of Cascara, and at a much lower cost. I personally don't know of another natural remedy that has strong anti-viral properties in the gut, anti Candida activity, anti H. Pylori (ulcer) activity, and finally anti-cancer activity.

Handroanthus impetiginosus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"...In ethnomedicine, Lapacho plays an important role for several South American indigenous peoples. In the past decades it has been used by herbalists as a general tonic, immunostimulant,[8] and adaptogen. It is used in herbal medicine for intestinal candidiasis.[9]
However, the main active compound lapachol has since turned out to be toxic enough to kill fetuses in pregnant rats and reduce the weight of the seminal vesicle in male rats in doses of 100 mg/kg of body weight.[10] Still, lapachol has strong antibiotic and disinfectant properties, and may be better suited for topical applications. Lapachol induces genetic damage, specifically clastogenic effects, in rats.[11] Beta-lapachone has a direct cytotoxic effect and the loss of telomerase activity in leukemia cells in vitro.[12]
The ethnomedical use of Lapacho and other Handroanthus teas is usually short-term, to get rid of acute ailments, and not as a general tonic. Usefulness as a short-term antimicrobial and disinfecting expectorant, e.g. against PCP in AIDS patients, is yet to be scientifically studied. Handroanthus impetiginosus inner bark seems to have anti-Helicobacter pylori activity.[13] and has some effects on other human intestinal bacteria.[14]"

In USA the Lapacho tree is known as Pau D'Arco and extract in pills or powder can be bought cheaply in most health stores. If anybody knows more about it or has talked to peat about it, please share whatever info you have.


Just added this to my herbal anti cancer arsenal, plus for the gut health...1 tsp every other day in oj...immediately/finally my bowel movements are perfect...cascara every other day was working but not as well as wanted...now I alternate them....feels good, I like it...and there seems to be a list of benefits.
 

haidut

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
19,198
Location
USA / Europe
Just added this to my herbal anti cancer arsenal, plus for the gut health...1 tsp every other day in oj...immediately/finally my bowel movements are perfect...cascara every other day was working but not as well as wanted...now I alternate them....feels good, I like it...and there seems to be a list of benefits.

The lapachol and beta-lapachone are quinones and very similar to vitamin K in structure and activity. You probably would not be surprised to learn that while big pharma is publicly bashing "alternative" cancer treatments like lapachone, privately it is running some clinical trials with beta-lapachone for pancreatic cancer. How much do you want to bet that by the time the trial is over, lapacho bark extract will be banned for sale as a supplement and will become a "drug"?
ARQ-761 Treatment With Gemcitabine/Nab-Paclitaxel Chemotherapy In Pancreatic Cancer - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov
ARQ 501 in Combination With Gemcitabine in Subjects With Pancreatic Cancer - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov
 
B

Braveheart

Guest
The lapachol and beta-lapachone are quinones and very similar to vitamin K in structure and activity. You probably would not be surprised to learn that while big pharma is publicly bashing "alternative" cancer treatments like lapachone, privately it is running some clinical trials with beta-lapachone for pancreatic cancer. How much do you want to bet that by the time the trial is over, lapacho bark extract will be banned for sale as a supplement and will become a "drug"?
ARQ-761 Treatment With Gemcitabine/Nab-Paclitaxel Chemotherapy In Pancreatic Cancer - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov
ARQ 501 in Combination With Gemcitabine in Subjects With Pancreatic Cancer - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov


Pig Pharma is causing me stress....truely.
 

Parsifal

Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
1,079
Haidut, do you know what where all Koch reagents? If I remember, he created synthetic quinones?
 

Birdie

Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2012
Messages
5,184
Location
USA
I just bought the now brand of Pau d'Arco capsules locally. Cheaper than amazon.
Used the tea for years but hated the taste and switched to cascara via Peat.

Those paragraphs from the transcripts of the Herb Doctors' interview are intriguing. Thanks @peatssake.
Thanks to @bzmazu for bringing the thread back. To @haidut for starting it two years ago.

This may be a key player for me. High hopes.
 

Kray

Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2014
Messages
1,271
Just added this to my herbal anti cancer arsenal, plus for the gut health...1 tsp every other day in oj...immediately/finally my bowel movements are perfect...cascara every other day was working but not as well as wanted...now I alternate them....feels good, I like it...and there seems to be a list of benefits.

I'm interested to know more about your "regularity" regimen. Can you clarify what you're taking 1 tsp/day in combo with cascara, per above? Pau d'arco, or some other? Tea form, liquid tincture? Link? What dose of cascara?

Are you still doing this, and is it ok to take both long-term?

Thanks
 

Similar threads

Top