A Pesticide, Not Zika, May Be The Cause Of Microcephaly In Brazil

haidut

Forum Supporter
I have always been suspicious when viral epidemics of any sort become front page news. It usually turns out to be either a scam to extract taxpayers' money and throw them at a favored company to develop a "much needed" vaccine, or a cover-up of a bigger issue usually ties to some sort of environmental poisoning.
I suspected the Zika virus is a case of the second, and this study seems to support that view. Brazil uses a number of toxic pesticides banned by most other countries, including its neighbors. Brazil has justified the need for such pesticides given its unique flora and fauna, as well as the need to continue its explosive economic growth. How explosive and real that growth is remains to be seen, now that news of statistical cover up and inability to finance the Olympics have turned up.
But in any case, if you go to a country that has focused on nothing but economic growth chances are you'll be exposed to the worst features of what society and its science have to offer.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/06/160624150813.htm

"...Brazil's microcephaly epidemic continues to pose a mystery -- if Zika is the culprit, why are there no similar epidemics in other countries also hit hard by the virus? In Brazil, the microcephaly rate soared with more than 1,500 confirmed cases. But in Colombia, a recent study of nearly 12,000 pregnant women infected with Zika found zero microcephaly cases. If Zika is to blame for microcephaly, where are the missing cases?"

"...In light of this evidence, NECSI says the cause of microcephaly in Brazil should be reconsidered. One possibility that has been raised is the pesticide pyriproxyfen, which is applied to drinking water in some parts of Brazil to kill the larvae of the mosquitos that transmit Zika. Pyriproxyfen is an analogue for insect juvenile hormone which is cross reactive with retinoic acid, which is known to cause microcephaly. A physicians group in Brazil and Argentina, the Swedish Toxicology Sciences Research Center, and NECSI have called for further studies of the potential link between pyriproxyfen and microcephaly."

tankasnowgod

This makes a lot of sense to me. I've largely stopped paying attention to these front page viral epidemics, as after hearing about ebola, bird flu, SARS, swine flu, and probably others I can't even remember, nothing even remotely close to the end-of-world health predictions ever became reality. Swine Flu was the biggest wake up call in that sense. My parents saved the newspaper from the day I was born in 1976, and the past few years I've made a point of looking at right near my birthday. It really hits home on how things, in general, just don't change. The biggest surprise I found was an article taking about the upcoming dangers of Swine Flu, that in a newspaper from 1976.

this was raised by serious researchers from the start but the virus meme just took over. Similar to the aids "virus".

thegiantess

I just don't see how pyriproxifen could be the cause. It's approved for us in the US on lawns and whatever. Certainly people get a fair amount of exposure. Also, pyrethroids are all hormone mimics and they're in everything. Most American households likely have a can of pyrethroid based bug spray. I can't imagine it was added to the water at a level high enough to have such a dramatic affect.

whodathunkit

I just don't see how pyriproxifen could be the cause. It's approved for us in the US on lawns and whatever. Certainly people get a fair amount of exposure. Also, pyrethroids are all hormone mimics and they're in everything. Most American households likely have a can of pyrethroid based bug spray. I can't imagine it was added to the water at a level high enough to have such a dramatic affect.
I agree.

However, pesticides could have provoked a mutation in an otherwise innocuous virus that made it so deadly and highly transmissible. But to lay blame to Zika solely on pesticides...IMO there's not a real strong argument for that. After all viruses have been mutating into deadly strains as long as there have been organisms to host them.

Whatever, I tend to believe the Zika outbreak was due to some viral mutation that occurred in Brazil. It's spreading from there. Subtropical U.S. is now reporting cases. In my area I've also noticed in the past few years (not just this year) that sometimes I'll get bitten by mosquitoes during the day time, which I don't recall happening when I was younger. So probably human travel and globalization is allowing the spread of mosquitoes like never before, and they're carrying tropical diseases into parts of the world that have never known them before.

uchihaMadara

What about the fresh batch of genetically modified mosquitoes they released there first? I believe Florida is/was next, but what are your thoughts?

Giraffe

"...In light of this evidence, NECSI says the cause of microcephaly in Brazil should be reconsidered. One possibility that has been raised is the pesticide pyriproxyfen, which is applied to drinking water in some parts of Brazil to kill the larvae of the mosquitos that transmit Zika. Pyriproxyfen is an analogue for insect juvenile hormone which is cross reactive with retinoic acid, which is known to cause microcephaly. A physicians group in Brazil and Argentina, the Swedish Toxicology Sciences Research Center, and NECSI have called for further studies of the potential link between pyriproxyfen and microcephaly."
Del Bigtree covered ZIKA in one of his shows. They talk about the persticide. They also mention that the Tdap vaccine (tetanus toxoid, reduced diphtheria toxoid and acellular pertussis) has been made mandatory for pregnant women in 2014, one year before the microcephaly epidemic in Brazil. Many poor women did not receive the Tdap vaccine, but one containing a whole cell pertussis component (which has a very bad rap).

Placebogate! (go to the 41 minute mark)