A Notion For The Nutrient Losses When Yogurt Is Strained

Amazoniac

Tarmander's birthday is arriving. 5 days left to prepare your messages, poems, gift cards, etc.

Now the irrelevant part:
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ring_the_production_of_strained_Torba_yoghurt
If you don't want discourse, just click the link.

I started to notice a negative reaction to strained/greek yogurt and I always suspected that it was related to what was lost and not compensated. Not having a notion, I decided to experiment, and with a simple addition of B-vits the negative reaction stopped.

The companies are always trying to maximize extraction of the liquid part because the remainings become extremely acidic. I have the impression that they stop normal yogurt fermentation when there's a safe margin for the product to keep fermenting in a slower pace while refrigarated without acidifying too much. With strained yogurts this is not possible since little sugar is left.
"A large proportion of lactose was transferred from normal yoghurt to the whey when the yoghurts were strained to produce Torba yoghurts."

The lactic acid intensifies to the point of burning the tongue, and the harsher the acid, the more nutrients are separated from the solids and discarted as strained.
It's not all negative, it can be advantageous if don't need more calcium, because many minerals are lost as well.
"During fermentation of yoghurt, pH decreases and the minerals begin to be lost from casein which is completely free of minerals when the pH reaches 4.6±4.7 (John, 1990). During the draining process, large amount of minerals are separated with whey. As shown in Table 1, the average losses of sodium, potassium, calcium and phosphorus were 70.2%, 68.2%, 65.6% and 50.2%, respectively."

They used whole milk, and if you consume skim strained yogurt, it's one more reason to consider the debt. Since dairy is a great contributor to people's daily riboflavin intakes, this is concerning:
"The mean losses of thiamin and riboflavin were found to be 51.8 and 60.5% respectively. It was thought that both vitamins were lost with the whey from normal yoghurt during the straining period due to their water-soluble properties."

Procedure:
"The fermented milk was mixed and transferred into a cotton cloth bag which had a warp to warp spacing of approx. 210 microm and a weft spacing of 150 microm. The dimensions of the cloth bag were 33x36 cm. The weave intensity was 15x22 fibres cm^-2. The cloth bag was hung to drain the whey (15±2oC) for 12 h."

upload_2017-10-3_14-55-50.png

upload_2017-10-3_14-55-57.png

paymanz

Hmm loss lots of minerals, same thing happens during chess production. And even worst.

Maybe salting your yogurt and keeping it in refig prevent fermentation better.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Hmm loss lots of minerals, same thing happens during chess production. And even worst.

Maybe salting your yogurt and keeping it in refig prevent fermentation better.
If I'm not wrong, cheese made with rennet retains a lot more than cheese made with other acids.
And regarding yogurt, if it's not objectionable, I think it's fine, what's left might be intense but not in enough amounts to count.