A New Day, A New Start

OP
Luann

Luann

@Runenight201 What a life, just read Diogenes' wiki page. warren buffet said that the mystical "it" is being loved or liked... " the ultimate test of how you have lived your life"

Hi rpf! Hope everyone is well.

I am thinking about trying to eat a lot more saturated fat. Like, fully-saturated fat, or as near as it gets. This would be in order to get more calories in, basically... anyone had negative effects doing too much sat. fat?

Runenight201

@Runenight201 What a life, just read Diogenes' wiki page. warren buffet said that the mystical "it" is being loved or liked... " the ultimate test of how you have lived your life"

Hi rpf! Hope everyone is well.

I am thinking about trying to eat a lot more saturated fat. Like, fully-saturated fat, or as near as it gets. This would be in order to get more calories in, basically... anyone had negative effects doing too much sat. fat?

Yes, being in communion with social acceptance is good. Having intrinsic worth valued is great. Contributing extrinsic value is euphoric!

For your saturated fat experiment, have a go with placing butter on everything. I personally am a huge fan of toasting bread, then melting a huge slab of butter in a bowl, then evenly dipping BOTH sides of the bread in the butter, and then munching it down.

Of course there’s always the mashed potatoes, pancakes with butter and whipped cream, pasta with Alfredo sauce. Rice is kinda hard to tastefully make fatty...haven’t figured out a pleasant way to do that one.

Oddly, I find saturated fat negatively effecting me only when I consume it on its own or with meat. For instance, if eating a steak, and I bite into the blobby fat, or eat bacon, i feel very nauseous. If I have some starch though it inhibits the nausea and makes it taste quite great.

I would def recommend. Idk how anyone does low fat, it’s quite unappealing to me now to eat anything without heaping gobs of animal fat. Everything else is so...plain.

OP
Luann

Luann

Yes, being in communion with social acceptance is good. Having intrinsic worth valued is great. Contributing extrinsic value is euphoric!

For your saturated fat experiment, have a go with placing butter on everything. I personally am a huge fan of toasting bread, then melting a huge slab of butter in a bowl, then evenly dipping BOTH sides of the bread in the butter, and then munching it down.
……………..………...
Rice is kinda hard to tastefully make fatty...haven’t figured out a pleasant way to do that one.

Oddly, I find saturated fat negatively effecting me only when I consume it on its own or with meat. For instance, if eating a steak, and I bite into the blobby fat, or eat bacon, i feel very nauseous. If I have some starch though it inhibits the nausea and makes it taste quite great.

I would def recommend. Idk how anyone does low fat, it’s quite unappealing to me now to eat anything without heaping gobs of animal fat. Everything else is so...plain.

I will try the butter!
I haven't figured out fried rice either!! Weird, as I grew up on affordable stir-fry dinners. I will try the animal fat route of getting in some fats.

Last edited:
OP
Luann

Luann

Reclaiming meat

Hey RPF
I was revisiting the topic of endotoxin as a cause of low body temperature. I have been using jerky and some frozen ground beef as sources of iron and protein... I found studies showing that bacterial counts in frozen ground meat double by the 6th day in the freezer. Meat and cultured / preserved dairy are major sources of endotoxin, and I know to generally stay away from the latter. Obvs some are more bothered by it than others; my symptom is migraine / low temps.
I'm going to experiment with using up meat within four-ish days of cooking it or discarding the rest. I will also do this with liver. Meats feel like an ancestral food and hopefully they'll fit back into my life soon.

OP
Luann

Luann

I made calf liver twice this week. The second time I fried it in coconut oil and gin with thyme, pepper, and sea salt. It actually tasted good!

OP
Luann

Luann

A note on texture:
So, recently I've been noticing that a lot of my food is pretty gummy, homogenous in texture. Like even if I make potatoes and veggies, by the time I add some milk, coconut oil, and stir them up, I don't have a lot of good chunky texture to my food. It's all kinda runny and not so appetizing. You guys ever experience this??

Amazoniac

A note on texture:
So, recently I've been noticing that a lot of my food is pretty gummy, homogenous in texture. Like even if I make potatoes and veggies, by the time I add some milk, coconut oil, and stir them up, I don't have a lot of good chunky texture to my food. It's all kinda runny and not so appetizing. You guys ever experience this??
The ultra-processed food industry has been paying attention to this aspect for a long time. There are various attempts to explain what's up with it, it's easy to find information on these.

- Critical Evaluation of Crispy and Crunchy Textures: A Review

The definitions are confusing at times, and crispness "is usually evaluated by biting with incisors and crunchiness is generally determined by chewing with molars." "Food textural properties, such as crispness or crunchiness, are largely auditory sensations, and the product acceptability is often judged by the acceptable or expected sound level." "Air conduction is predominant when biting with incisors and with lips opened, while bone conduction is predominant when chewing with molars and with the mouth closed. Bone-conducted sounds are typically of lower frequencies because some sound is absorbed by soft mouth tissue and by the jaw."​

- Crispness in food - A review

- The Science Behind Why We Crave Loud and Crunchy Foods

"Noisy foods correlate with freshness," the "fresher the produce, like apples, celery, or lettuce, the more vitamins and nutrients it’s retained." "The noise draws attention to the mouth in the way something silent does not. If you’re eating pâté, your attention can drift elsewhere, to a television or to a dining companion. But a crunch will draw your attention to what you’re eating, making you concentrate on it. Noisy foods make you think about them."​

- Why Humans Are Crazy for Crispy

OP
Luann

Luann

Huh, that's super interesting. I love that theory of it being fresher in sound. Thanks for the detail and sources amazoniac!! How do you add texture to your foods?

I really appreciate all the people that drop by my log to give advice : D

Really unrelated, but is anyone eating turnip, collard or mustard greens at all? They seem to be quite a good calcium source given their oxalate and phorphorus content, from data from this site and nutritiondata.

Runenight201

Huh, that's super interesting. I love that theory of it being fresher in sound. Thanks for the detail and sources amazoniac!! How do you add texture to your foods?

I really appreciate all the people that drop by my log to give advice : D

Really unrelated, but is anyone eating turnip, collard or mustard greens at all? They seem to be quite a good calcium source given their oxalate and phorphorus content, from data from this site and nutritiondata.

I go back and forth on the greens. Out of all the vegetables, I would say that collard greens and broccoli are my favorite. Collard greens I just put a little bit of salt and I seem to enjoy them, however last time I had them I got the squeaky teeth feeling, so I’m not sure how good that is. I do very much enjoy my lemon broccoli though. The lemon juice neutralizes the foul sulfuros smell of the cruciferous vegetables and turns it into quite the delectable treat. I usually have a couple of boiled stalks with my meat; It makes my meal and brain feel very balanced while loading up on the animal flesh.

I think that if I had never encountered milk I would naturally want more greens for the calcium, but then again who knows. I’ve been watching food addiction videos lately and people seem to develop on a diet of solely French fries or cola...

OP
Luann

Luann

I like your idea of eating greens with meat, runenight, that does sound very intuitive. I worked at a restaurant where asparagus was a very common side dish with steaks & meat-centric dishes. And heck yeah, lemon is AMAZING with cruciferous veggies. Delicious

Haha I don't know why peole do that to themselves though.

So, i'm sort of on the bandwagon - vitamin A not so good! maybe!

Idk. I stopped eating liver and taking A supplements about a week ago and might just go toward 2% milk for the little bit less palmitate that's in it. I could cut back on coconut oil to balance out the PUFA intake from a higher fat milk than my 1%. why do I overthink this stuff haha : )

OP
Luann

Luann

planning to start taking a thiamine supplement tomorrow.i'm just having a flashback to dr. peat talking about B1 improving his memory of French vocab and I'm trying to finish up midterms and stuff. good night rpf :loveletter:

OP
Luann

Luann

I'm liking the thiamine, although 100mg will be too much to continue long term. I will start cutting tablets

Discontinued taking copper glycinate. Even 2mg daily had some weird effects for me. I am experimenting with Lo-A and might add copper again later. Too many factors at once.

OP
Luann

Luann

here's a brief summary of what i'm looking to accomplish in the next few weeks!

1. get rid of a minor infection somewhere around my molar tooth (dentist xray didn't find the infection or any decay, so he at least gave me antibiotics. he is a good guy)
2. put on some weight. my job is so physically active this time of year, but now that i am in online college due to covid it should be easier to gain weight. i've been eating ice cream, bugles, white chocolate, and fatty stuff and taking B1.
2b. younger skin. it's clear of acne but my face looks tired and a little older, which is probably 90% caused by losing weight
3. figure out which supplements I feel best on. i'm stopping all niacinamide as even tiny doses like 1/10 of a teaspoon of powder knock me out for hours - NO energy. it's actually a known issue and i've had to leave more than one event early and crash at home because of taking even a little B3 in the previous 12 hours. copper works for me in very small doses; any higher like 4 and 6mg just did not work out. aspirin just gives me headaches and, i feel, serves to raise myK2 requirements.
3b, a list of what i do enjoy supp-ing: K2 and E, as well as magnesium threonate and methylfolate very occasionally. And - my favorites - B1, B2, and B6 P5P. These particularly make me feel great.

well i'm looking forward to gathering more information and editing this framework as I find out more; here's to optimism, learning, and good health!

Last edited:
OP
Luann

Luann

Unpopular Opinion: Wait until your late twenties to deplete PUFA

We know that children require polyunsaturated fats for development. Since the brain is not fully formed until the late twenties or later, I think that serious PUFA restriction should be attempted only after that point. My experience was that once I started eating more calories, which was Peat-inspired actually, I grew an inch or nearly so in height. But that new growth came with new demands for nutrition. Then, my wisdom teeth came in while I was on my Peat diet plan as well, and actually I am still dealing with dental difficulties from them. I made some mistakes concerning my teeth, most importantly trying and failing to eat enough and supplement as needed. (I was taking supps, but not all that was needed.) I am also 7 or 8 pounds lighter than before I started, not an intentional or welcome change. We can say 'Eat enough' all day but the physical changes of young adulthood require a lot of energy and I don't advocate any eating pattern now that restricts food or makes a twenty-four year old have to plan carefully or otherwise obstruct their meals. Especially since young people are on the go so much, with school and jobs and internships, and generally we think ourselves indestructible and tend to miss meals. No need to make eating any more complicated. I don't know if PUFAs are required for young adults like they are for kids but the calories sure as heck are. It's probably a good idea to minimize polyunsaturated intake to 5, 10 grams a day and deplete them later but I found that actually depleting them at that age was far too costly for me despite trying hard to eat enough and I wouldn't go to those lengths again. Before you're fully an adult it is also harder to calculate risks, vocalize to yourself that something doesn't feel right, and make your world accomodate you. Problems got swept under the rug because I thought depletion was what mattered most. And to further complicate things, different genes can mean maturing at slightly different times. But the bottom line is, Ray Peat's research is best applied to full fledged adults.

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
OP
Luann

Luann

I found a 400mcg capsule of MK7 that I plan to order when I run out of my 100 mcg's!
and, I ordered magnesium malate that is 20% mag. that's higher than any other magnesium supplement that I calculated except oxide

Runenight201

Do you have a certain routine of what you take when you need to get into a focused and productive mood?

OP
Luann

Luann

eech. I just woke up from nap. starting this post over for clarity haha.

I take thiamine and low-dose magnesium in order to focus, and caffeine if it's not at night. 800mg thiamine helped me through the last paper I had to write in a hurry.
Niacinamide and supplemental amino acids may help other people to focus but I DON'T take them for various reasons.
And I save higher doses of magnesium, like the product I referenced several posts ago, for when I don't have to focus because it can be too calming.

Last edited:
OP
Luann

Luann

Fat amounts

This morning, I did some quick math on how much coconut oil it would take to make up for the lower fat in 1% milk. I use hydrogenated coconut oil. What I got was, if one's main fat source was coconut oil, you would need to take in about 3 tablespoons per half gallon of it in order to match the macronutrient intake you'd get from whole milk.

It's important to remember that calcium and magnesium intake, and having a diet that's very low in polyunsaturated fat, have been shown to lower fat absorption. So it might take more coconut oil than 3 tablespoons, but probably not too much more.

OP
Luann

Luann

subdued a migraine pretty quickly this morning. here's what i think helped for this major win, in the form of a timeline.

2 days earlier: having migraine shadows on and off, started to strictly avoid the worst foods that affect me. NO gelatin, citrus, aged cheese, and as little chocolate as humanly possible (haha)

this morning: woke up feeling very migrainey. head pain and behind an eye, prickly all over, nausea. had coffee, missed class, went back to sleep.

2 hours later: i took 200mg ibuprofen and 100 of thiamine, as well as about 300 magnesium malate powder. took a shower in case pollen or something allergenic from last 30 hours is on my skin making it worse. was able to go to my next class. had some Dr. Pepper and the migraine went away completely!

I really think avoiding the migraine trigger foods for 48hours made the biggest difference in having a headache that I could control. probably the second most important was the B1 and magnesium. often 200mg of Ibuprofen is not enough to help me. I read that it can take over a week to eliminate the antibodies from trigger foods, and I am hoping things get even better with time.