A List Of Edible Leafy Greens

Waremu

Very neat link. Thanks. I am currently doing a 'veganish' peat diet experiment where I am dropping dairy so I have been eating much more greens lately for my calcium choice. One of my go-to greens for calcium has been Bok Choy (Chinese green cabbage). It's really tasty. It has around 700-800mg of calcium per head serving, which is really high for greens. I steam it with some broccoli and it really tastes amazing and is very filling. With this added in I can easily hit 2000mg of calcium per day and maintain a decent calcium to phosphate ratio. It apparently has a very good calcium absorption rate too and is a low-oxalate leafy green (not that I am all that concerned with oxalates anyway after all the research I've done on it and seen). On a side note, ever since quitting dairy for this experiment, after being strict starch-free Peat for years, and using more greens, my skin has already cleared up, which leads me to believe that I was having an immunological reaction to the dairy of some kind (I was a heavy milk drinker), which seems to agree with the experience of others and what Travis has said. I used to get non-acne rashes/breakouts on my face and no amount or ratio of vitamin A-D, or amount of zinc from oysters, or raw carrots ever made it go away, and thyroid is pretty good as well. My digestion was/is otherwise great too, which leads me to believe it wasn't directly endotoxin either.

Last edited:

yerrag

For those that complain about not having many options:
List of leaf vegetables - Wikipedia

The nice thing about eating cooked greens are they're cheap, and they are for the most part free from pesticides. Except for the delicate ones like cilantro.

Ray has mentioned that leaves may contain heavy metals, so it's good to know where the leaves are coming from. But no one really knows, right?

I prefer the leaves from trees, but they're not that many. I like that the tree can filter off the heavy metals. It's like what cows do when they eat grass and produce milk. The heavy metals are stored in fat tissues, and there is little trace of heavy in milk (Ray has mentioned this also).

benaoao

Amaranth greens nutrition facts and health benefits

Amaranth has double the nutrients of spinach, if I'm not mistaken.
This mineral-rich leafy green is a staple here...called Callaloo...easy and fast to prepare...Google Callaloo recipes.
Here's my favorite...
Stewed Callaloo Recipe - Genius Kitchen
Mix w scrambled egg or ground beef etc.
This or chaya(tree spinach) or regular spinach are my sole vegies.

How about phosphorus in amaranth? This mineral is the main reason why I don’t eat grains

B

Braveheart

How about phosphorus in amaranth? This mineral is the main reason why I don’t eat grains
We are talking leaves, not the grain, no?....1 cup gives 30% ca vs 10% Phos...no problem...plus I always get ample Ca to offset all Phos in my diet....min 1/1 ratio Ca/Phos daily, often better.

Runenight201

I love eating spinach raw. I always notice an increase in well being and sense of nourishment after a cup or so of spinach.

Most other leaves, especially of the cruciferous species, I absolutely cannot eat raw. They are far too bitter and leave a nasty taste in my mouth. To me that’s my body signaling that in that leaf’s raw form, the food is not good for me.

Steamed kale and broccoli on the other hand are delicious, and mixed in with some vegetable broth is delicious.

I too have quit dairy, as from an anthropological viewpoint, we spent hundreds of thousands of years evolving without dairy, so we had to have been able to get along quite fine without it. The obvious solution is to drastically increase the amount of green vegetables consumed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals