maxpower

Increasing 5-AR activity has received a lot of interest lately due to its therapeutic effects on mood disorders as well as issues with excess cortisol (5-AR deactivates cortisol). Unfortunately, the official story is that there are no freely available compounds that can stimulate 5-AR activity. That is not true.
It is not well-known, but DHEA stimulates 5-AR activity. However, it is well-known that DHT and T enhance 5-AR activity and I posted a study showing that DHT stimulates its own synthesis via that effect. This study looked at a number of different androgens and their effects on 5-AR activity in prostate. The most potent stimulator was 5a-androstanediol - a bi-directional metabolite of both DHT and androsterone. Next in line were DHT, and androsterone = testosterone = androstenedione. See attached imaged for more info.

http://press.endocrine.org/doi/10.1210/endo-93-3-581?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub=pubmed
http://press.endocrine.org/doi/pdf/10.1210/endo-93-3-581
11keto DHT would be good right

Matestube

Does topical or oral androsterone stimulate 5-ar more? Mg per mg what route of administration stimulates more 5-ar activity?
Topical steroid application benefits from more 5ar due to their presence in skin, and might in return stimulate 5ar more.

wildworld1992

5a-androstanediol & 5-ar type 1 activity:
A little confused. OP mentioned 5a-androstanediol increases 5ar activity. My guess is that OP meant 5ar type 1 activity which is in Progesterone to AlloP pathway (that utilizes 5ar type 1 enzyme). But then I went to IdeaLab site and there is no product called 5a-androstanediol!

I'm suffering from PFS and what I'm trying to do is increase 5ar-1 and 5ar-2 activity. I'm taking Proviron to stimulate 5ar-2 activity. But I'm not sure how to increase 5ar-1 activity.

When you say 'activity' - I hope it means increase the number of 5ar-1 and 5ar-2 enzymes. Finasteride/Accutane seem to have permanently reduced them. So, if I can increase those, then hormonal pathways should start working again is my hypothesis.

I got 5a-DHP from IdeaLabs. Used 5 drops yesterday and today but didn't feel anything. Perhaps it needs to build-up. Perhaps better to take less and let it build up over days. Prefer not to increase dosage, just to be safe.

Any advise on how to increase 5ar type 1 activity?

Ethanol vs Tocopherol Solvents:
Are both edible or is one for topical application and one for oral edible use?

Lion's Mane + Cordecyps combo:
I'm considering buying Lion's Mane from Nootropics Depot. But I read Lion's Mane is a 5ar inhibitor but a weak one (like tomatoes!) Then I read Cordecyps can counter the 5ar inhibitory effect of Lion's Mane.

Since PAS/PFS over last 5 years, my spatial IQ , my short-term/working memory, my thought-processing speed have all declined. If Lion's Mane+Cordecyps (combo) can help with that, then I'd take it. But I want to be sure it won't impact recovery from PFS / PAS! I mean, on one hand I'm trying to increase 5ar-1 and 5ar-2 enzymes, on the other hand, Lion's Mane might negate that! So, I just want to be sure.

Thoughts?
Any update on your PFS?

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Topical steroid application benefits from more 5ar due to their presence in skin, and might in return stimulate 5ar more.
So, if one's 5ar pathway is broken because of PFS, does it make more sense to use the oral route for the idealab steroid hormones that I have (allop, androsterone, stressnon, pansterone)?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals