A Lab Test For Endotoxin Exposure, And Its Role In HIV/AIDS

haidut

Forum Supporter
While I was researching some other topics related to the article on statins and TLR4 that I posted last week, I stumbled upon a biomarker called "soluble CD14" or sCD14 for short.
CD14 - Wikipedia

As it turns out, sCD14 is a biomarker for systemic endotoxin load.
The importance of soluble CD14 and inflammation
Elevated Levels of Serum-Soluble CD14 in Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type 1 (HIV-1) Infection: Correlation to Disease Progression and Clinical Events
"...Soluble (s) CD14, a marker for monocyte/macrophage activation and a mediator of bacterial lipopolysaccharide (LPS) action, was elevated in serum from human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV- 1)-infected individuals (n = 92) compared with seronegative controls."

As the study above shows, sCD14 is elevated in HIV patients. I posted a study several years ago hinting that HIV only turns into AIDS as a result of chronic endotoxin overload.
Endotoxin May Be The Real Cause Of "AIDS"
Without Endotoxin (TLR4), An HIV Infection May Not Cause AIDS

A quick search on PubMed reveals that sCD14 is indeed the most reliable predictor of mortality in HIV patients and its significance as a way gauge how advanced a pathology is goes way beyound AIDS.
Plasma Levels of Soluble CD14 Independently Predict Mortality in HIV Infection
As it turns out, it is a crucial biomarker in virtually all autoimmune conditions, kidney disease, diabetes, CVD, Alzheimer, Parkinson, cancer, and even "viral" conditions such as hepatitis A/B/C, herpes infections, JCV, EBV, etc. Yet, despite these mountains of published evidence I have not heard a single doctor of pharma rep ever mention this biomarker. Hopefully, @Dan Wich can find a lab that offers this test a la carte and it is not too expensive.

Dan W

So far I only found this (with the same test also available from another company), but I don't think that's the correct one?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
So far I only found this (with the same test also available from another company), but I don't think that's the correct one?

It is, but not for the soluble form. The test you found requires tissue biopsy. It is possible that sCD14 is just the CD14 test done on a blood sample. Maybe you can call and ask them?
Btw, another name for sCD14 is "presepsin" and it looks like this is a more common name that doctors use. Maybe you will have more luck searching for that keyword.
Presepsin as a novel sepsis biomarker

I will email a few study authors that published on sCD14/presepsin and ask how they did the test.

Last edited:

ddjd

While I was researching some other topics related to the article on statins and TLR4 that I posted last week, I stumbled upon a biomarker called "soluble CD14" or sCD14 for short.
CD14 - Wikipedia

Elevated Levels of Serum-Soluble CD14 in Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type 1 (HIV-1) Infection: Correlation to Disease Progression and Clinical Events
"...Soluble (s) CD14, a marker for monocyte/macrophage activation and a mediator of bacterial lipopolysaccharide (LPS) action, was elevated in serum from human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV- 1)-infected individuals (n = 92) compared with seronegative controls."

As the study above shows, sCD14 is elevated in HIV patients. I posted a study several years ago hinting that HIV only turns into AIDS as a result of chronic endotoxin overload.

A quick search on PubMed reveals that sCD14 is indeed the most reliable predictor of mortality in HIV patients and its significance as a way gauge how advanced a pathology is goes way beyound AIDS.
As it turns out, it is a crucial biomarker in virtually all autoimmune conditions, kidney disease, diabetes, CVD, Alzheimer, Parkinson, cancer, and even "viral" conditions such as hepatitis A/B/C, herpes infections, JCV, EBV, etc. Yet, despite these mountains of published evidence I have not heard a single doctor of pharma rep ever mention this biomarker. Hopefully, @Dan Wich can find a lab that offers this test a la carte and it is not too expensive.
i asked in a few labs here in germany and unfortunately they dont have it

yerrag

I think this would be a very useful test. Endotoxemia is a condition I would tend to regard as one I don't have but everyone else has. This test would disprove that, and once proven, I could be serious about fixing it. The inflammatory effects would be systemic, and eliminating it paves the way for the other pieces to fall.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
What would the treatment consist of? A simple course of antibiotics with a Peat inspired diet?

Procalcitonin could be used as well as presepsin as far as I understand. Procalcitonin test seems to be easier to find in independent pay-by-cash labs.

Another one promising test is LPS binding protein. I wasn't able to find any lab to conduct it.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Procalcitonin could be used as well as presepsin as far as I understand. Procalcitonin test seems to be easier to find in independent pay-by-cash labs.

Another one promising test is LPS binding protein. I wasn't able to find any lab to conduct it.

Unless there is full blown sepsis, the procalcitonin test is typically used for diagnosing IBD. But since IBD is correlated with endotoxin then I guess it still provides valuable info.
Serum procalcitonin differentiates inflammatory bowel disease and self-limited colitis. - PubMed - NCBI

NathanK

CD14 - Wikipedia

Just ran across this reading Ray Medina's blog:
Zonulin, Lipopolysaccharides And Longevity | Gut Critters

"Of the three markers measured only LPS and zonulin reached statistical significance. Levels of both were significantly elevated in the young heart disease (AMI) patients. They were also both elevated in the healthy young controls in comparison to the healthy centenarians although to a lesser extent. Nevertheless, something tells me that many of those “healthy” controls will soon join the ranks of the unhealthy if they fail to plug up their guts.

That CD14 didn’t reach statistical significance attests to it not being a very reliable marker for endotoxemia. I would suspect that had either tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-a) or interleukin-6 (IL-6) been measured the results would have been different. This study adds further confirmation to what I’ve been writing about for years, especially in regards to the development of heart disease."

T

TheBeard

CD14 - Wikipedia

Thanks Haidut.

What is the spectrum of endotoxins we are talking about?
Is endotoxemia measured by the levels of acetaldehyde released by gut bacteria, or is there more to it than just acetaldehyde?
Is lactic acid one of the toxins?