B

Braveheart

My favorite centenarian...

DR HINOHARA age 105... Japan
For breakfast I drink coffee, a glass of milk and some orange juice with a tablespoon of olive oil in it. Olive oil is great for the arteries and keeps my skin healthy. Lunch is milk and a few cookies, or nothing when I am too busy to eat. I never get hungry because I focus on my work. Dinner is veggies, a bit of fish and rice, and, twice a week, 100 grams of lean meat (3.5 oz)

I like it!

Hairfedup

Sweet potatoes or yams? Sweet potatoes shouldn’t have all that much bets carotene as they are pale in color. Yams are like bright orange.

This is an issue of an Americanism...yams ARE sweet potatoes in the US, I believe. Yams worldwide are bright white or sometimes a very pale yellow. Tastes nothing like a sweet potato lol

Jackrabbit

For breakfast I drink coffee, a glass of milk and some orange juice with a tablespoon of olive oil in it. Olive oil is great for the arteries and keeps my skin healthy. Lunch is milk and a few cookies, or nothing when I am too busy to eat. I never get hungry because I focus on my work. Dinner is veggies, a bit of fish and rice, and, twice a week, 100 grams of lean meat (3.5 oz)

I like it!
Maybe the most important message here is not to worry about food so much. I do think people on this forum tend to overeat in an attempt to load up the liver with glycogen but that is a long term process that comes with living less stressfully. I think obsessing about food is unhealthy, no matter what your diet beliefs are.

Jackrabbit

This is an issue of an Americanism...yams ARE sweet potatoes in the US, I believe. Yams worldwide are bright white or sometimes a very pale yellow. Tastes nothing like a sweet potato lol
Apparently I was wrong about sweet potatoes only being lighter inside. The ones I usually get are but yams are light inside but have hairy skins, and sweet potatoes are dark orange to pale orange or even purple on the inside. I always opt for the lighter ones , I wonder which ones the okinawans eat?

B

Braveheart

Maybe the most important message here is not to worry about food so much. I do think people on this forum tend to overeat in an attempt to load up the liver with glycogen but that is a long term process that comes with living less stressfully. I think obsessing about food is unhealthy, no matter what your diet beliefs are.
:darts:

saraleah

I'm using white sweet potatoes when I can find them. Batatas, found in the tropical foods part of the market. damngoodcoffee I'm feeling pretty good after a few months but too soon to say.
After a year of Peating even trying to keep fats low, I felt better but think its still too much fat, for me. Everyone's different. Chest pain came back and thats scary.
So now its a Peaty diet with way less animal products. No dairy my body dislikes it. Lots of well cooked peeled potato, fat free slow cooked fat free barbecue portobellos in a sourdough roll. More potato than rice. Root veg. Turnips. Stir fry, curries, and yes, broccoli is good. Choke down collards or kale mixed into the potatoes. I've researched Peats statements on vegan/vegetarian diets and without the foods he recommends keeping off the plate, its limited, but once a week Ill allow anything as long as its low PUFA. So far teeth don't hurt. This is so far WAY better than low fat high carb was without attention to PUFA consumption, or before applying advice from this forum.

TeaRex14

Yah this is what I was thinking. If a Fruitarian ate 90% fruit and the other 10% came from liver, shellfish, eggs, milk, etc. I would expect that person to be significantly more healthy than a vegan Fruitarian.
Yeah that's basically my normal diet, albeit some added refined sugars like coke, red bull, sugar cane. Mostly though it's orange juice, mangoes, papayas, guavas (when I can get them), dragonfruit, kiwi, 1% milk, oysters, gelatin, and a little grassfed beef liver once or twice a week. I'll also eat a few eggs when I can get them locally.

TeaRex14

I'm using white sweet potatoes when I can find them. Batatas, found in the tropical foods part of the market. damngoodcoffee I'm feeling pretty good after a few months but too soon to say.
After a year of Peating even trying to keep fats low, I felt better but think its still too much fat, for me. Everyone's different. Chest pain came back and thats scary.
So now its a Peaty diet with way less animal products. No dairy my body dislikes it. Lots of well cooked peeled potato, fat free slow cooked fat free barbecue portobellos in a sourdough roll. More potato than rice. Root veg. Turnips. Stir fry, curries, and yes, broccoli is good. Choke down collards or kale mixed into the potatoes. I've researched Peats statements on vegan/vegetarian diets and without the foods he recommends keeping off the plate, its limited, but once a week Ill allow anything as long as its low PUFA. So far teeth don't hurt. This is so far WAY better than low fat high carb was without attention to PUFA consumption, or before applying advice from this forum.
Have you tried a mk-4 supplement? There could literally be a hundred different things causing chest pains, some of which are completely benign, like gas buildup. However it would be important to address any sort of calcification you may or may not have. K2 (mk-4) will help in decalcifying any of your soft tissues, including arteries. Thorne's mk-4 is a good brand. T3, sugar, aspirin, and magnesium are excellent for heart health as well. Just my 2 cents.

saraleah

YES! Thank you TeaRex14 for your 2 cents. Ive been on NOW MK4 100 mcg 2 years.
I'm not sure what kind of magnesium to get. I Use epsom salts. Dr told me to take baby aspirin a while back when this started, told me women die more from arterial spasm from stiffened arteries, peripheral disease and stroke, than blockages. I'm not a kid and already older than when all but one of my close family members had a heart attack or died instantly(stroke, heart attack). So its scary to kinda guess if arteries are calcifying or not. Dr didnt advice calcium scoring so ins wont pay. Got an ok stress test, no major arteries clogged, but they usually aren't for women, and the pain came back badly during the test. Its peculiar, left arm, jaw and ear. Not likely gas.
Interestingly my mom always took thyroid T3 and was the only one in my immediate family who didn't have a stroke or heart attack. Broda Barnes wrote about that too. Said Thyroid supplements made patients virtually heart attack proof, in his book.
I couldn't get it prescribed to try as my T3 free was 2.7 . T4 was 1. Both in the low range of normal.
Tea Rex14 I think you are right, to try and boost it to higher normal, but they wouldn't give me even a little bit. Ill bet a tiny bit would make all the difference.

Wagner83

I am saying that using starch as my main carb source each day, where the calcium to phos. ratio was not favorable, I think was a major player in causing my cavities to come back. Not so much just sweet potatoes. I ate mostly potatoes every day and some white rice about once per week. Sweet potatoes weren't a huge portion of my carbs. Oh, I also forgot lentils I had regularly too. Mostly white potatoes and some lentils and little rice. I cooked them very well, even in coconut oil to minimize endotoxin. I am sure they could play a role as well, but I am more convinced the calcium to phos. ratio played a larger role because before I stopped eating starch, when I didn't have cavities, I ate starch in smaller amounts, but still enough that caused me to have digestive problems. And that went on for some time before I cut the starch out and went Peat. Then after Peating for a few years and putting starch back in heavily, thats when it began. Thats when cavities came back. I then cut them out and it took a year for them to go. The only major difference was my calcium to phos. ratio and the first time increasing vitamins A, D, K. The gut issues I had from starch were not very correlated to my cavities spreading. I think the favorable calcium to phos. ratio probably made it easier for my teeth to heal with the Vitamins A, D, and K. I remember Ray Peat saying that a more favorable ratio can make a more favorable healing environment for the teeth. It seems this matches my experience.
Ok thanks for the clarification as well as the details.
...or nothing when I am too busy to eat....
I doubt it is possible to be healthy when diet is the main focus of life.

Last edited:

Jackrabbit

I'm not sure what kind of magnesium to get. I Use epsom salts. Dr told me to take baby aspirin a while back when this started, told me women die more from arterial spasm from stiffened arteries, peripheral disease and stroke, than blockages. I'm not a kid and already older than when all but one of my close family members had a heart attack or died instantly(stroke, heart attack). So its scary to kinda guess if arteries are calcifying or not. Dr didnt advice calcium scoring so ins wont pay. Got an ok stress test, no major arteries clogged, but they usually aren't for women, and the pain came back badly during the test. Its peculiar, left arm, jaw and ear. Not likely gas.
Interestingly my mom always took thyroid T3 and was the only one in my immediate family who didn't have a stroke or heart attack. Broda Barnes wrote about that too. Said Thyroid supplements made patients virtually heart attack proof, in his book.
I couldn't get it prescribed to try as my T3 free was 2.7 . T4 was 1. Both in the low range of normal.
Tea Rex14 I think you are right, to try and boost it to higher normal, but they wouldn't give me even a little bit. Ill bet a tiny bit would make all the difference.
You can get it on your own, and interestingly the best way to monitor dosage is by taking temps and pulse. You might find a naturopath who would prescribe cytomel, the brand name t3 which is very important because the generic is crap. Your lab results in the low range are going to say to a more holistic practitioner that you could use more, but it must be a very basic tenet of allopathic medicine to never prescribe anything if a lab value is in the normal range, regardless of what defines normal. Heaven forbid they based it on what is good for you instead of complete strangers!

TeaRex14

You could try a thyroid surrogate like caffeine. Caffeine can be used in place of thyroid for raising the metabolic rate, some people on this forum actually prefer it over thyroid. Caffeine's effect on metabolism is probably why coffee drinkers are always at a much lower risk of things like diabetes and heart disease. However it's definitely not for everyone, some people react poorly to it, the jitters and whatnot. It should be consumed with plenty of carbohydrate. I prefer coffee as opposed to caffeine powder, but I've noticed that I have to drink it throughout the entire day or I'll crash.

saraleah

LOL TeaRex14 I love my caffeine. Drink coffee/raw sugar all am, lots then Tabata, walk the dog, hit the weights. And I will call the Naturopath thanks, Jackrabbit, or search for a holistic endocrinologist, have the labs redone and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.
Physicians I went to, for autoimmune problem, 5 in 2 years, even the naturopath, pushed estrogen. They were GYNS, so that's probably what I did wrong. They believe estrogen is the cure for every woman's discomfort. Peat says its deadly. Peat was there during the development so Ill go with what he says.

Maybe the hormone profile is getting better too, Ill report back. The auto immune disease is in remission, too. Last bloodwork was 2 months after starting Peat so its time to recheck. I would like to try a little bit of Cytomel just to see. Will check Ideallabs too.
By the way, these total strangers on this Forum are smart, helpful, read everything and experiment on themselves, share and a lot are bodybuilders, train too. The advice so far has helped.

TeaRex14

LOL TeaRex14 I love my caffeine. Drink coffee/raw sugar all am, lots then Tabata, walk the dog, hit the weights. And I will call the Naturopath thanks, Jackrabbit, or search for a holistic endocrinologist, have the labs redone and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.
Physicians I went to, for autoimmune problem, 5 in 2 years, even the naturopath, pushed estrogen. They were GYNS, so that's probably what I did wrong. They believe estrogen is the cure for every woman's discomfort. Peat says its deadly. Peat was there during the development so Ill go with what he says.

Maybe the hormone profile is getting better too, Ill report back. The auto immune disease is in remission, too. Last bloodwork was 2 months after starting Peat so its time to recheck. I would like to try a little bit of Cytomel just to see. Will check Ideallabs too.
By the way, these total strangers on this Forum are smart, helpful, read everything and experiment on themselves, share and a lot are bodybuilders, train too. The advice so far has helped.
I'm glad you're getting better, Idealabs definitely has great products. I like the TyroMix (per dose 6mcgs of T4, 3mcgs of T3) product best, but I don't need it everyday.

Aymen

I like it!
that's probably equals to 1000-1500 calories a day , i think he doesn't exercice and he goes without food once in a while ( fasting ) .

Hairfedup

Could be the tubers that produce Okinawan longevity. At least that is what a Japanese doctor theorizes, with respect to another village in Japan.

Every morning, Hiroshi Sakamoto wakes up and farms his field, usually for about four or five hours a day. Sakamoto, who lives in the village of Yuzuri Hara, two hours outside of Tokyo, is 86 years old. But his age by no means makes him the elder statesman of his village, nor is a daily routine like his uncommon among his peers. More than 10 percent of the population of his village is 85 or older — 10 times the American norm. The residents of Yuzuri Hara are not only living longer, but they are also quite healthy. Rarely do they have any reason to see a doctor, and they are hardly affected by diseased like cancer, diabetes and Alzheimer’s. Many have even managed to keep their skin from showing signs of aging. What makes the residents of Yuzuri Hara even more remarkable is that they are living long, healthy lives — even those who engage in unhealthy activities.

Sakamoto, for example, smokes a pack and a half of cigarettes daily and is still in reasonably good health and physically fit. Tadanao Takahashi, 93, has worked in the sun for 50 years, never once using sun block or skin cream, and yet his skin is soft and smooth. Some medical researchers believe that Yuzuri Hara, known as “The Village of Long Life,” and its residents may hold the key to anti-aging secrets: the local diet that is unique to the village.

Unlike other regions of Japan that grow rice, Yuzuri Hara’s hilly terrain is better suited to harvesting different carbohydrates that may prove healthier: things like satsumaimo, a type of sweet potato; satoimo, a sticky white potato; konyaku, a gelatinous root vegetable concoction; and imoji, a potato root.

The Village of Long Life- Hyaluronic Acid, Fountain of Youth

Very interesting. I think satoima is actually a form of taro. I've seen konyaku in Malaysia called 'elephant yam' but I never picked it up. Man WestsidePufas would love this thread lmao. I do wonder though...are westerners able to process starchy carbs like these? I remember a bunch of American girls in Uganda gained massive amounts of weight eating just matoke [east african highland bananas] and a simple stew everyday. I didn't gain any weight at all...

Cirion

To be honest I think this quote speaks among the most volumes.

Tadanao Takahashi, 93, has worked in the sun for 50 years, never once using sun block or skin cream, and yet his skin is soft and smooth. Some medical researchers believe that Yuzuri Hara, known as “The Village of Long Life,” and its residents may hold the key to anti-aging secrets: the local diet that is unique to the village.

Sunlight is extremely anabolic/healing.

Note that he can handle the sun. It's probably because with a low fat diet, PUFA's will also be low, which allows him to handle the sun and reap its benefits.

I wish we had more research on the effects of PUFA's. I think many of us here (including myself) often under-appreciate the negative impact of PUFA's (and conversely, the health benefits of avoiding them) whether that means eating a high carb starch diet low in PUFA's or a high carb sugar diet low in PUFA's. Ray himself does say that starch is not incompatible with health, but he obviously prefers sugar at least in metabolically compromised individuals. I have finally made the commitment to try to stay < 4 gram PUFA a day and see what it does for me, since I haven't been getting better without being strict about that.