A gut repair equation - Amino acids > polyphenols > fiber

Credit to Joel Greene. His brief Q&A on the Ben Greenfield podcast found here:
Crohn's Disease & Carnivore, Raw Beans, Lectin Myths, & More.

The basic explanation I gathered was:

Protein (namely glutamine and glycine) and niacin are responsible for repairing the upper/small intestine. This is why carnivore diets relieve irritable bowel problems at least temporarily.

If the small intestine is in bad shape, polyphenols and fiber will cause inflammation in the colon. Going super high animal protein and no fiber for a time is thus the first step in gut repair.

Secondly, polyphenols are needed in order for fiber to work... Polyphenols are also antioxidants (most, if not all of the time?).

Thirdly, with the presence of adequate polyphenols in a stable colon, fiber is then used to produce butyrate in colonocytes.

There's a debate on whether protein (glutamine) or fiber is the optimal food source for colonocytes. According to Greene, since glutamine produces a byproduct of ammonia when it's used by colonocytes, fiber is more ideal.

Greene's analogy is that protein is the oil and fiber is the gasoline of the body. We run into problems when we try to put gasoline in before the oil. Polyphenols enable the gasoline (fiber) to be used.

***After hearing this, I looked up an ingredient list on a random greens powder and pulled what I had in the pantry together to simmer something up.

*I've been using a combination of 3-4 teaspoons of material simmered for 10 minutes in 1.5-2 cups of water.

Assorted materials:
Ceylon cinnamon powder
Broken cell wall chlorella
Spirulina
Garlic powder
Parsley flakes
Acerola cherry powder
Powdered alfalfa grass
Skullcap flakes
Powdered ginkgo leaf

*I intentionally omitted seeds, barks, and roots from the combination, realizing that those things are harder to digest than the fruiting bodies and leaves. I strain out the bulky material from the end result.

+Based on my experience so far, there's definitely something to taking a dose of polyphenols and then following it with fruit or vegetable (fiber) anywhere from 20-60 minutes later. In the last several weeks I've had good and bad experiences with fiber to much confusion, going from somewhat constipated to a daily movement. In the last 16 hours my bowel transit speed has effectively doubled thus far and fiber isn't giving me any grief whatsoever.

+This is a *very* brief anecdote thus far, but the personal benefit I've felt so far warrants sharing it.

EIRE24

Very interested in this, have you seen gut improvements by implementing the above protocol?

OP
Twohandsondeck
Very interested in this, have you seen gut improvements by implementing the above protocol?
If you're asking about the original post, yes. Marked improvements.

Just making a point to have 3-4 cups of 'polyphenol tea' (as-it-were) taken in two windows, even if only a couple hours apart. Seems to empower fiber digestion for sure.

EIRE24

If you're asking about the original post, yes. Marked improvements.

Just making a point to have 3-4 cups of 'polyphenol tea' (as-it-were) taken in two windows, even if only a couple hours apart. Seems to empower fiber digestion for sure.
What does your diet look like these days? What was the most powerful thing that improved your digestion?

OP
Twohandsondeck
What does your diet look like these days? What was the most powerful thing that improved your digestion?
Morning: usually cottage cheese followed by half coffee/half milk

Mid-morning: milk or chocolate milk

Lunch: varies. Tend to avoid pasta, tomatoes, and hamburgers though. If things are going downhill I'll stick to more milk or black beans by themselves.

In between lunch and dinner: bone broth, milk, vegetable soup, or fruit.

Dinner: sometimes starch and veggies, sometimes more dairy.

Before bed: tea followed by 1-2 apples, acerola cherry powder with bone broth or collagen hydrosylate.

+Every 3-4 days I'll add 3-5 tablespoons of raw potato starch taken throughout the day with milk.

Limiting cooked starch, using raw potato starch, drinking adequate water, using leaves & fruits mentioned in this post, not overeating or overdrinking, and having a moderate amount of daily soluble fiber are all the biggest digestive aids that come to mind in light of the last 6-10 months.

Romans 14:2
[2] For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

JacquelineNZ

So what amount of fibre do you do and what helped your system.
Plus the drinking water thing seems to be confusing as its said not to drink much but how much do ppl find helps their body.
Did you use to have issues drinking milk or eating dairy.

OP
Twohandsondeck
So what amount of fibre do you do and what helped your system.
It's far from an exact science. Anywhere from 8-25g a day probably. Doesn't work as well if I'm any kind of constipated or when combined with animal flesh. It seems fiber helps the most when it's consumed on an empty stomach.
Plus the drinking water thing seems to be confusing as its said not to drink much but how much do ppl find helps their body.
Yeah, also a big variance here because more factors are taken into play like how much of the diet is liquid, fruit, veg... Exercise, sweating, urine color, etc. At this point I believe that regardless of the beverage, taking one extended gulp until quenched is the right choice. Sometimes water is more appealing than milk or fruit juice, too. Force feeding liquids can be problematic no doubt.
Did you use to have issues drinking milk or eating dairy.
Yeah, all of them lol. Brain, bone, muscle, skin, digestive, sleep problems all used to occur with even small amounts of milk.

This thread provided a solution to reverse the so-called 'lactose intolerance:'

JacquelineNZ

It's far from an exact science. Anywhere from 8-25g a day probably. Doesn't work as well if I'm any kind of constipated or when combined with animal flesh. It seems fiber helps the most when it's consumed on an empty stomach.

Yeah, also a big variance here because more factors are taken into play like how much of the diet is liquid, fruit, veg... Exercise, sweating, urine color, etc. At this point I believe that regardless of the beverage, taking one extended gulp until quenched is the right choice. Sometimes water is more appealing than milk or fruit juice, too. Force feeding liquids can be problematic no doubt.

Yeah, all of them lol. Brain, bone, muscle, skin, digestive, sleep problems all used to occur with even small amounts of milk.

This thread provided a solution to reverse the so-called 'lactose intolerance:'

Thanks! I always enjoy your sharings ;-)

T

TheBeard

Do you still eat a carnivore diet?

The above protocol includes different types of fiber?

I eat a "no fiber" diet rather than a carnivore diet, but it's mostly carnivore with some fruit juice.

pro marker

Credit to Joel Greene. His brief Q&A on the Ben Greenfield podcast found here:
Crohn's Disease & Carnivore, Raw Beans, Lectin Myths, & More.

The basic explanation I gathered was:

Protein (namely glutamine and glycine) and niacin are responsible for repairing the upper/small intestine. This is why carnivore diets relieve irritable bowel problems at least temporarily.

If the small intestine is in bad shape, polyphenols and fiber will cause inflammation in the colon. Going super high animal protein and no fiber for a time is thus the first step in gut repair.

Secondly, polyphenols are needed in order for fiber to work... Polyphenols are also antioxidants (most, if not all of the time?).

Thirdly, with the presence of adequate polyphenols in a stable colon, fiber is then used to produce butyrate in colonocytes.

There's a debate on whether protein (glutamine) or fiber is the optimal food source for colonocytes. According to Greene, since glutamine produces a byproduct of ammonia when it's used by colonocytes, fiber is more ideal.

Greene's analogy is that protein is the oil and fiber is the gasoline of the body. We run into problems when we try to put gasoline in before the oil. Polyphenols enable the gasoline (fiber) to be used.

***After hearing this, I looked up an ingredient list on a random greens powder and pulled what I had in the pantry together to simmer something up.

*I've been using a combination of 3-4 teaspoons of material simmered for 10 minutes in 1.5-2 cups of water.

Assorted materials:
Ceylon cinnamon powder
Broken cell wall chlorella
Spirulina
Garlic powder
Parsley flakes
Acerola cherry powder
Powdered alfalfa grass
Skullcap flakes
Powdered ginkgo leaf

*I intentionally omitted seeds, barks, and roots from the combination, realizing that those things are harder to digest than the fruiting bodies and leaves. I strain out the bulky material from the end result.

+Based on my experience so far, there's definitely something to taking a dose of polyphenols and then following it with fruit or vegetable (fiber) anywhere from 20-60 minutes later. In the last several weeks I've had good and bad experiences with fiber to much confusion, going from somewhat constipated to a daily movement. In the last 16 hours my bowel transit speed has effectively doubled thus far and fiber isn't giving me any grief whatsoever.

+This is a *very* brief anecdote thus far, but the personal benefit I've felt so far warrants sharing it.
going from a ***t diet to carnivore then transitioning to peat healed my gut. im not even lactose intollerant anymore. i can eat pretty much everything. hell im eating black rice now no problem. the more fiber i eat the more i poop and the better i feel. but its so hard to find the right fibers, as ironically the only three foods i cant eat are carrot, cooked mushrooms and cooked bamboo shoots haha. i can eat them but they slow down transit time to much. what foods are high in polyphenols?

JacquelineNZ

Wow good article, Im having trouble taking it all in so I can do it - so if you can help I would appreciate.
I clearly have all the toximia symptoms and have been battling to get it right and my tongue still gets coated, I have foul smelling bowel movements.
So to guide me - does it need to be raw milk. Is he saying no milk and eggs because they putrify? What form of fibre do you use. My poor liver struggles but I am improving its just the bowel needs to clean up slot. I did 8mnths if carnivore and it really destroyed my system and colon function. Would love some guidance...bullet points on ehst foods hes meaning is best. Im guessing carrot sslad is a winner and fruits and lots of milk?

JacquelineNZ

Was that question for me? Mine only go once a day and stink. I need fibre of some sort as bulk or something to make them go more often.
Something to get rid of bad bacteria as I have way to much and I ended up with huge amounts of tape worm after having some from childhood but made more from eating loads of pork of carnivore. Im working with UK practitioner to get rid of them.

OP
Twohandsondeck
Cheers :):
going from a ***t diet to carnivore then transitioning to peat healed my gut. im not even lactose intollerant anymore.
Nice one! Great to hear :D
what foods are high in polyphenols?
Heck, you got me. "Superfoods" or antioxidant-rich foods I guess. I just skimmed through the ingredient label of the first greens powder I saw on Amazon and pulled all of the related material I had out of the cabinet and put it on the stove:

Amazon product ASIN B004TJD758
I also have plenty of other roots, seeds, and barks which I've used in the past for limited success but this time around I got an idea to take more of a Biblical approach.

I gather from Romans 14:2 printed above that herbs (also "vegetables" in the Strongs concordance) are good for the weak and from the opposite perspective, fallen angels in the book of 1 Enoch taught people how to use roots, trees, and possibly witchcraft.

1 Enoch 7:1
And they took wives for themselves and everyone chose for himself one each. And they began to go into them and were promiscuous with them. And they taught them charms and spells, and they showed them the cutting of roots and trees.

I've done virtually no studying on 1 Enoch nor do I think it's canonical, but the implication of roots, trees, and witchcraft in different translations makes for a peculiar point that has been working so far so good o_O

T

TheBeard

Are you bald/balding? Do you have any health problems?

Full head of hair, beard, chest hair.
I have some sort of CFS and SIBO but it's slowly fading away on this diet.