A few questions for a beginner to cypro

FredSonoma

I just received my cypro in the mail. I have a couple questions:

1. Each pill is 4 mg - how do I cut this up into .5 mg pieces?
2. Do people dissolve it in something? I read something about dissolving pills to try to get out excipients?
3. I have to be at a day-long event tomorrow (8 AM - 10 PM) - is today a bad day to start taking cypro? (I also have 4 exams next week so I have a lot of studying to do this weekend - is this also a bad time to start?)
4. Is drinking a complete no-no with cypro?
5. Does anyone know the inactive ingredients of Ciplactin?? I can't find them anywhere.

Joocy_J

FredSonoma said:
post 104531 I just received my cypro in the mail. I have a couple questions:

2. Do people dissolve it in something? I read something about dissolving pills to try to get out excipients?
3. I have to be at a day-long event tomorrow (8 AM - 10 PM) - is today a bad day to start taking cypro? (I also have 4 exams next week so I have a lot of studying to do this weekend - is this also a bad time to start?)
5. Does anyone know the inactive ingredients of Ciplactin?? I can't find them anywhere.

I regards to four, just quitting drinking is probably a more basic step to take to improve your health before trying pharmaceuticals.

I wold just take half a pill though, it isn't really that strong of a drug imo compared to more potent serotonin reducers like lsd or even tianeptine.

Last edited by a moderator:

answersfound

Take 2 mg about 2-3 hours before sleep. Do this until you are getting morning wood. I think that means prolactin is low and therefore serotonin is low.

your first time taking u will be drowsy the next day, but after a couple weeks, you won't notice the drowsiness. it will probably make it difficult to study on it, so you may need a lot of caffeine to compensate.

DaveFoster

answersfound said:
post 104549 Take 2 mg about 2-3 hours before sleep. Do this until you are getting morning wood. I think that means prolactin is low and therefore serotonin is low.

your first time taking u will be drowsy the next day, but after a couple weeks, you won't notice the drowsiness. it will probably make it difficult to study on it, so you may need a lot of caffeine to compensate.
Thank you answersfound. Very helpful information. I did not draw the connection between morning wood and prolactin.

Aspekt

I would advise against starting cypro if you need to be attentive in the next few days. 2mg is a lot, try .5mg. I usually snap the tablet in half then bite off a 1/4 of one of the halves.

Some good info from haidut here; viewtopic.php?t=6376

OP
F

FredSonoma

answersfound said:
post 104549 Take 2 mg about 2-3 hours before sleep. Do this until you are getting morning wood. I think that means prolactin is low and therefore serotonin is low.

Ok thanks! I pretty much already always get MW do you think cypro might be unneccesarry?

Makrosky

FredSonoma said:

1. With a knife, your nail, and/or a precision scale.
2. You probably read that for aspirin. I don't know if it works the same with cypro, I guess not.
3. Yes, bad idea. Cypro can make you drowsy, sleepy, depressed or unable to focus. Specially at the beginning. I'll wait until the exams pass. (haha sorry, until you PASS the exams).
4. Why you say that ? I've drank (moderately) while on cypro and didn't experience any problem, besides that you're probably putting your liver into higher strain than only doing one of the two by separate. Take some glycine, taurine, magnesium and/or b-vitamins when you drink and you'll help your liver. Better to take them after the drinking, otherwise you'll have more tolerance for alcohol and you'll end up drinking more thus spending more money and doing you more harm.
5. What do you mean inactive ingredients? The excipients ?

OP
F

FredSonoma

Makrosky said:
post 104645
FredSonoma said:

2. You probably read that for aspirin. I don't know if it works the same with cypro, I guess not.
3. Yes, bad idea. Cypro can make you drowsy, sleepy, depressed or unable to focus. Specially at the beginning. I'll wait until the exams pass. (haha sorry, until you PASS the exams).
4. Why you say that ? I've drank (moderately) while on cypro and didn't experience any problem, besides that you're probably putting your liver into higher strain than only doing one of the two by separate. Take some glycine, taurine, magnesium and/or b-vitamins when you drink and you'll help your liver. Better to take them after the drinking, otherwise you'll have more tolerance for alcohol and you'll end up drinking more thus spending more money and doing you more harm.

Thanks for the answers! Yep I mean the excipients. I have a MAJOR problem with focusing on schoolwork in general and was hoping the cypro would actually help haha - do you know what could help me focus?

Makrosky

FredSonoma said:
post 104647
Makrosky said:
post 104645
FredSonoma said:

Thanks for the answers! Yep I mean the excipients. I have a MAJOR problem with focusing on schoolwork in general and was hoping the cypro would actually help haha - do you know what could help me focus?

Hey Fred, the cypro might very well help you with focus but normally not at the beginning. That is the thing. You'll pass the exams, don't worry. Sounds like they're not the first ones you make.

Coffee+cypro matches quite good also in my experience. Just to show you an example (but everyone is different keep it in mind) : If I take 1mg of cypro without coffee it makes me sleepy. If I take 4mg with a cup of normal coffee, it doesn't make me sleepy at all.

Don't know about the excipients, sorry.

tara

1. I've used a cheap little portable pill splitter bought from pharmacy. Easy to get down to quarters (1mg). The last split to 1/8ths is hard to get completely even. But more or less OK.

2. I don't dissolve mine. Just hoping the benefits of the drug outweight the risks of the excipients. At 1/8th of tablet you're not getting a lot of excipient.

Aspekt said:
post 104566 I would advise against starting cypro if you need to be attentive in the next few days. 2mg is a lot, try .5mg.
:1
Personal reactions vary. I've found even 1/8 to make it harder to get up the next morning.
If you take it regularly, that effect may well lessen. But I wouldn't start till you can sleep long the next day or two.

4. I don't recommend dehydration with or without cyproheptadine.
(If you mean alcohol, I don't recommend that with or without cyproheptadine either. Found this on a page about cyproheptadine: "Antihistamines may have additive effects with alcohol and other CNS depressants, e.g., hypnotics, sedatives, tranquilizers, antianxiety agents." I have seen this happen with other antihistamines, no experience with it with cyproheptadine.)

5. Dunno.

OP
F

FredSonoma

Cypro seems to be flaring my arthritis - I've had a problem for 3 years where if I eat any starch / inulin, my left knee and feet hurt, and that's exactly what is happening now. Cypro seems to be making me feel better in some ways and worse in others. It doesn't seem like there could be enough starch in the pill to really effect me, could it be the cypro itself causing joint pain?

answersfound

FredSonoma said:
post 104784 Cypro seems to be flaring my arthritis - I've had a problem for 3 years where if I eat any starch / inulin, my left knee and feet hurt, and that's exactly what is happening now. Cypro seems to be making me feel better in some ways and worse in others. It doesn't seem like there could be enough starch in the pill to really effect me, could it be the cypro itself causing joint pain?

No.

OP
F

FredSonoma

answersfound said:
post 104785
FredSonoma said:
post 104784 Cypro seems to be flaring my arthritis - I've had a problem for 3 years where if I eat any starch / inulin, my left knee and feet hurt, and that's exactly what is happening now. Cypro seems to be making me feel better in some ways and worse in others. It doesn't seem like there could be enough starch in the pill to really effect me, could it be the cypro itself causing joint pain?

No.

So do you think it's the starch in the pill? It seems like such a small amount. But I've also noticed recently that I seem to be even more sensitive to small amounts of starch, since starting Peating I barely eat any fiber at all - it seemed like back in the day when I was eating a lot of green leafy vegetables and radishes that a small amount of starch wouldn't bother me.

answersfound

FredSonoma said:
post 104786
answersfound said:
post 104785
FredSonoma said:

No.

So do you think it's the starch in the pill? It seems like such a small amount. But I've also noticed recently that I seem to be even more sensitive to small amounts of starch, since starting Peating I barely eat any fiber at all - it seemed like back in the day when I was eating a lot of green leafy vegetables and radishes that a small amount of starch wouldn't bother me.

No. I don't know where this starch phobia is coming fron

Peata

FredSonoma said:

My guess is that the cortisol manufactured in your body, which was once masking pain and inflammation, is now lower due to the cyproheptadine.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Peata said:
post 104790 My guess is that the cortisol manufactured in your body, which was once masking pain and inflammation, is now lower due to the cyproheptadine.
Excellent theory, Peata.

:hattip

Last edited:
OP
F

FredSonoma

answersfound said:
post 104787
FredSonoma said:
post 104786
answersfound said:
post 104785
FredSonoma said:

No.

No. I don't know where this starch phobia is coming fron

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3678459/

I have reactive arthritis / ankylosing spondylitis, and it is extremely common that people get relief from a starch-free diet

This is also a forum of people that do a starch-free diet for ankylosing spondylitis, I've only read of 2 or 3 people that were able to permanently eat starch again without major issues, since being diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis: http://www.kickas.org/ubbthreads/ubbthr ... d=7&page=1

OP
F

FredSonoma

Peata said:
post 104790
FredSonoma said:

My guess is that the cortisol manufactured in your body, which was once masking pain and inflammation, is now lower due to the cyproheptadine.

Hmm I hope that's what it is! I seem to be jumpier though - my housemate just knocked on my door and I felt like my heart jumped, and my heart was beating fast for at least 2 minutes after. Wouldn't that be a sign of higher cortisol?

Peata

FredSonoma said:

I break it with fingers or cut it with pill divider into 4 pieces (1 mg. each) and then use my fingernails to further break a 1 mg. piece, or I even nibble half of it. It's not exact, but it doesn't matter much for me.

I personally don't worry about excipients and just consume the pills.

I wouldn't start it up if you need to be alert for something the next day. Now that I'm used to it, I can take it and be fine even if I have been off of it for a while, but I do recall the first time I tried even a small amount, I was a zombie for a day.

Probably increased sedative effects.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals