A Cry For Help: Uncontrollable Fat Gain. Something Is FUNDAMENTALLY Wrong :(

tankasnowgod

@Vinny
5) heme iron from red meat isn't effected much by vit C. That effect is specific to non-heme iron. So, eating fruit with meat is a relative non-issue, especially in my experience.

Also, that effect is only seen in single meal challenge studies. In a longer term study lasting 16 weeks, the effect on overall body iron stores isn't clear. In the following study, supplemental C with meals actually dramatically lowered the highest baseline ferritin levels-

https://watermark.silverchair.com/7...Ah_fnUnwUqdvQ6Hy3eTHn2nMFU_SV73FCYvWHCEwPhz-k

tankasnowgod

When I first started doing 'Peat' stuff, about 6-7 years ago, I weighed 206 lbs at 6ft tall. I tracked calories and supplemented thyroid and went down to 163 lbs in 8 months. Since I was new to the 'diet', and I tend to be a bit OCD when doing something new, I ate almost entirely fruit, 1% milk, Parmesan. My reason for losing weight was because I wanted to lose the PUFA from my fat stores.

Regarding thyroid: I only trust cynoplus and cynomel.

I think tracking calories is extremely helpful. It ensures that you will consistently lose weight, instead of just guessing and hoping you will (which is a waste of time). Not only that, but it also ensures that you are eating enough. You don't want to drop your calories too low either (it could cause sleep problems for one thing). Lastly, it ensures you are getting enough nutrients. Naturally, people may have trouble getting enough micro nutrients on a low calorie diet (or even protein for some people).

In my opinion, don't guess and hope that you will lose weight, start tracking and ensure that you will. You'll have to find that calorie sweet spot. For me it was right around 2200-2400 calories. That's not low enough to cause health problems but low enough to consistently drop 1 pound to 1.5 pound per week or so. 1 pound per week, though it doesn't sound sexy, is still 52 lbs per year. Not shabby at all. If you're morbidly obese you'll probably lose a bit faster.

Edit: If you decide to count then get yourself a digital scale. Tracking is a lot easier when you can simply weigh things instead of guessing. Keep in mind that if you weigh raw beef then you put that in the tracking program as raw beef, not cooked beef. For something like a mango I just weight the entire thing before I eat it then weigh the refuse after I am done and subtract that. I like to keep things simple.

I have done this as well, and I did find it effective, at least in the shorter term. The thing that always throws a wrench in this for me is the really lean competitive eaters. Here's 96 pound Nela Zisser demolishing 5 pounds of fries (over 7,000 calories) in 20 minutes-

She's doing challenges like this weekly, and has been doing it for a few years, and her figure just doesn't change. How can this thin girl (almost too thin) go through 2-5x the daily caloric intake (and also sheer weight of food) in a single meal of a man 70 pounds heavier than her, and it not have an impact on her body comp? No doubt there is something wrong with always restricting calories.

And she's not the only one. Molly Schuler is 120 pounds, and she does 2-3x the amount Nela does on a weekly basis, and she isn't ballooning up, either.

I know Kelj and Billy Craig have made similar arguments. One thing I do remember..... when monitoring calories in a planned deficit, I would have a week eating at maintenance (at least) every 4-6 weeks. I was also regularly going on vacations (often to Vegas), and during those times, all restrictions were off! Can you say buffet? There is absolutely something to those "breaks" that helps with the goal.

GAF

Vinny,
How many pounds of fluid are entering your body every day?
How many pounds of fluid are you peeing out every day?

Do you pee like a fire hose or dribble like an old man (like me)?

Weigh the input and output? The only way extra weight gets into your body is if you put it in there and don't excrete it out.

Back in the pboy days, he was the voice of controlling fluid input. You might look back at his posts.

OP
Vinny

Vinny

Oregano oil is also a good way to tell if you have a bacteria overgrowth or other bacteria/endotoxin based gut problems. If it really makes you sick (worsened mood, light headed, generally feeling off), then that would indicate a die off reaction. The more severe the die off reaction the more potentially pathogenic bacteria in your gut. Its worth noting that oregano oil isn't necessarily a good solution if you actually have a microbiome problem but it does work for some. I'm sure people know this but make sure the oregano oil is the type for consumption (typically olive oil solutions) and not just pure oregano oil. Pure oregano oil at very high concentrations can be a little hard on the intestinal barrier and just kills any bacteria "good" or "bad".
Thanks for this clarification. I ordered solution, not pure. 25 mg per capsule of OO

OP
Vinny

Vinny

I have done this as well, and I did find it effective, at least in the shorter term. The thing that always throws a wrench in this for me is the really lean competitive eaters. Here's 96 pound Nela Zisser demolishing 5 pounds of fries (over 7,000 calories) in 20 minutes-

She's doing challenges like this weekly, and has been doing it for a few years, and her figure just doesn't change. How can this thin girl (almost too thin) go through 2-5x the daily caloric intake (and also sheer weight of food) in a single meal of a man 70 pounds heavier than her, and it not have an impact on her body comp? No doubt there is something wrong with always restricting calories.

And she's not the only one. Molly Schuler is 120 pounds, and she does 2-3x the amount Nela does on a weekly basis, and she isn't ballooning up, either.

I know Kelj and Billy Craig have made similar arguments. One thing I do remember..... when monitoring calories in a planned deficit, I would have a week eating at maintenance (at least) every 4-6 weeks. I was also regularly going on vacations (often to Vegas), and during those times, all restrictions were off! Can you say buffet? There is absolutely something to those "breaks" that helps with the goal.

Very interesting. This girl, others like her, people I`ve met, or been told about from first hand, all of them confirm some of my conclusions I made recently. Will probably open a thread in the near future if in mood ...

CLASH

Also, that effect is only seen in single meal challenge studies. In a longer term study lasting 16 weeks, the effect on overall body iron stores isn't clear. In the following study, supplemental C with meals actually dramatically lowered the highest baseline ferritin levels-

https://watermark.silverchair.com/7...Ah_fnUnwUqdvQ6Hy3eTHn2nMFU_SV73FCYvWHCEwPhz-k

Yes, I agree with you man, I've gone down the whole vit C rabbit hole. It has effects on copper absorption but I have also seen studies where it helps to get copper into the cell, once the copper is in the body. I have also seen the studies with vit C, I think thiamine, and cortisone rescuing patients from sepsis (Which says quite a lot in and of itself). I think there is more to the story with vit C, dehydroascorbate, iron, copper etc. With that said, I did wind up developing weird reactions from plain powdered ascorbic acid so now I have been using powdered camu camu, frozen acerola and lately I have been playing with fresh squeezed grapefruit juice. With these foods and the other foods in my diet I can easily reach over 1g of vit C per day. I like the camu camu especially because it has been shown to protect against EMF. There are also other medicinal properties and compounds to these foods.

I also think the idea of Iron overload from foods like meat, shellfish, organ meats is a bit overblown, barring excessive intake and hemochromatosis. Also, even if eating large quantities of these foods, it seems quite easy to mitigate iron overload with blood donation, periodic aspirin use, coffee use, and the use of different plant compounds. I think non-genetic Iron overload may develop to be an issue due to the body sequestering iron in the cases of infection and/or inflammation. When it becomes sequestered the body is unable to properly regulate it, thus allowing it to accumulate. Low iron can also be quite and issue for people. As with all things there's a sweet spot, a balance.

CLASH

Dont know. 15 mins in front of a UVB lamp, 30 mins of high noon sun

I prefer the sun and UVB lamp to supplementation as well. While vit D supplements often make me feel weird, sunlight and/or UVB lamp exposure (mixed with red light of course) make me feel great.

Constatine

I personally use the pure essential oil in capsules but only when I need it. You absolutely cannot take it without encapsulating it or else you will wreck your mouth and esophagus. I've taken it this way for up to a week with zero negative effects. It apparently helps improve the intestinal barrier. Here's a study : Oregano Essential Oil Improves Intestinal Morphology and Expression of Tight Junction Proteins Associated with Modulation of Selected Intestinal Bacteria and Immune Status in a Pig Model

I find it to be far milder than traditional antibiotics while being just as effective. I do however always follow up a cycle with something probiotic like cheese, skyr, and kombucha. When I was a kid my mom always put a few drops of oregano oil diluted in olive oil into my morning OJ. Maybe it was pure coincidence but I always had perfect digestion and rarely got sick until I quit the oregano oil in 11th grade.

At this point I don't think Vinny has anything to lose by trying it. If his experience is anything like mine he will feel markedly better within a day by taking three or four size 4 capsules full with a pinch of cascara immediately before a meal. Endotoxins are no joke and sometimes it takes a potent antibiotic to knock out the bacteria creating them. IMO, subsequently repopulating the gut with beneficial bacteria is crucial to long term success unless you wish to remain on the antibiotic indefinitely.
Most of my caution regarding oregano oil comes from personal experience, though I had SIBO so I'm not a good lab rat in this regard. It's definitely worth a try though. Combining it with clove oil can make it even more effective as eugenol (in clove), thymol, and carvacrol (in oregano) are highly synergistic antibiotics. Clove oil is also one of the only substances I've seen actually lower total intestinal bacteria significantly vs just modulating the composition. I very much agree that repopulation is necessary after even herbal antibiotic use.

OP
Vinny

Vinny

Most of my caution regarding oregano oil comes from personal experience, though I had SIBO so I'm not a good lab rat in this regard. It's definitely worth a try though. Combining it with clove oil can make it even more effective as eugenol (in clove), thymol, and carvacrol (in oregano) are highly synergistic antibiotics. Clove oil is also one of the only substances I've seen actually lower total intestinal bacteria significantly vs just modulating the composition. I very much agree that repopulation is necessary after even herbal antibiotic use.
Noted

GutFeeling

How are your thyroid? Its a peat cliche but even the mainstream medicine would absolutely agreee that hipothyroidism is the most logical cause of fat gain if your calories are ok

Jing

Yes, that's actually the brand I use. Remember you must either encapsulate or dilute the stuff. That brand offers a diluted solution as well as capsules if you don't want to fool with making your own.
So no need to dilute if putting in capsules?

So no need to dilute if putting in capsules?
The instructions on the packaging say to dilute. I personally do not dilute when I put it in size 4 capsules. I've taken between three and four capsules a day directly before breakfast for up to a week at a time without any negative effects.

Pompadour

@Vinny , you've said, that you didn't tolerate strong substances like garlic etc. So be very very prudent with essential oils! They can provoke a very acute response from the pancreas and gallbladder. Just a humble word of caution. Wish you to solve your problems!