A Controversial View On Carnitine

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hi all,

I know a few of you on this forum are already aware of the negatives regarding carnitine, but I'm assuming the majority of people don't know about it yet. I recently had a conversation with someone about carnitine that sparked the inspiration to write about it.

I want to share this with everyone so that they can make informed decisions about the supplements they buy.

Carnitine: a controversial view and why it can actually be bad for you » MenElite

P.S. If you already know a bit about carnitine, I'm sure you'll find this article interesting as well.

David90

Good Article @Hans
Sadly even in my Gym it get's still selled as some kind of ''Wonder Supplement''. I'm also suprised it is THAT bad for the Thyroid. Thankfully i'm not using some kind of Carnitine Supplement.....:relieved:

J

jb116

I'm wondering what does deficiency in synthesizing carnitine or kidney damage induced deficiency of carnitine look like?
It's one of those things that can probably be misleading reading it off google or something like that.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I'm wondering what does deficiency in synthesizing carnitine or kidney damage induced deficiency of carnitine look like?
It's one of those things that can probably be misleading reading it off google or something like that.
It would be difficult to say because if the kidney isn't working optimally, one cannot blame the lack of carnitine for it because the kidney performs so many other functions.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Good Article @Hans
Sadly even in my Gym it get's still selled as some kind of ''Wonder Supplement''. I'm also suprised it is THAT bad for the Thyroid. Thankfully i'm not using some kind of Carnitine Supplement.....:relieved:
Thanks, man. It's pretty ridiculous how heavily it's advertised and sad how the majority of people are gullible and uninformed.

J

jb116

It would be difficult to say because if the kidney isn't working optimally, one cannot blame the lack of carnitine for it because the kidney performs so many other functions.
Yes, my general thought as well. Seems too broad. Would be interesting to know when to supplement, when it's actually needed.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Yes, my general thought as well. Seems too broad. Would be interesting to know when to supplement, when it's actually needed.
Probably with severe kidney damage. Blood tests are unreliable as more than 99% of the carnitine is intracellular. A muscle biopsy could perhaps give a good idea, but I don't think you want to do a biopsy just to find that out lol.

J

jb116

Probably with severe kidney damage. Blood tests are unreliable as more than 99% of the carnitine is intracellular. A muscle biopsy could perhaps give a good idea, but I don't think you want to do a biopsy just to find that out lol.
Ah! lol nooo definitely not

@Hans So you wouldn't recommend ALCAR even in PDH deficiency?

Yes, I'd rather eat a bunch of meat for carnitine as well as the precursors and then focus on restoring PDH activity.

So mainly B1, Calcium, Magnesium, ALA?

Sure, and also inhibiting FOA.
Lots of fruit juice and Pyrucet go well together.

Why are you referring to pyruvate? if a subject had it high I believe that supplementation is counterproductive because it would accumulate without entering correctly in Krebs and mitochondria.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Why are you referring to pyruvate? if a subject had it high I believe that supplementation is counterproductive because it would accumulate without entering correctly in Krebs and mitochondria.
Even though Pyrucet contains pyruvate, it doesn't serve the exact same purpose. Ethyl-pyruvate helps to boost glucose oxidation to a greater extent than just pyruvate.

Even though Pyrucet contains pyruvate, it doesn't serve the exact same purpose. Ethyl-pyruvate helps to boost glucose oxidation to a greater extent than just pyruvate.

Thanks @Hans Can you tell me the half-life of B1 HCL and how much is the absorbed dose in an approximate way? (%) Oral version in tablets.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks @Hans Can you tell me the half-life of B1 HCL and how much is the absorbed dose in an approximate way? (%) Oral version in tablets.
The half-life is about 10-20 days and the oral absorption is thought to be 3.7% and 5.3%, however, there is evidence that it can be higher.

The half-life is about 10-20 days and the oral absorption is thought to be 3.7% and 5.3%, however, there is evidence that it can be higher.

@Hans Wow is it really very low, maybe it is higher if the B1 HCL version is in drops? I found an oral HCL version in drops and only 1mg is as effective as 150mg of the tablet version ... now I partially understand why.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Hans Wow is it really very low, maybe it is higher if the B1 HCL version is in drops? I found an oral HCL version in drops and only 1mg is as effective as 150mg of the tablet version ... now I partially understand why.
Not sure if liquid will be better, unless you use it sublingually, then it might be better. Topically is also good. Maybe you can try sulbutiamine or allithiamine.

Not sure if liquid will be better, unless you use it sublingually, then it might be better. Topically is also good. Maybe you can try sulbutiamine or allithiamine.

Benfotiamina over 300mg gave me big problems ... but I have a particular case having the deficit from birth. I believe instead that the liquid version is more assimilable than a tablet that must be broken down ... similar to an injectable version.

skycop00

Hi all,

I know a few of you on this forum are already aware of the negatives regarding carnitine, but I'm assuming the majority of people don't know about it yet. I recently had a conversation with someone about carnitine that sparked the inspiration to write about it.

I want to share this with everyone so that they can make informed decisions about the supplements they buy.

Carnitine: a controversial view and why it can actually be bad for you » MenElite

P.S. If you already know a bit about carnitine, I'm sure you'll find this article interesting as well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals