A Case Of Jock Itch And Possible Coconut Oil Cause

Birdie

We have been using a combination of coconut oil and butter for about 15 years. But, last year, I read about somebody, on this forum I think, that had a bad reaction to CO. I'd not ever considered that CO might be a possible problem for anybody. However, my husband had developed a severe form of jock itch during the past 10 years or so.

We decided to do the unthinkable and do a trial of omitting coconut oil.

Surprisingly, his jock itch improved. We figured it could be just coincidental and the benefits of CO are great, so we went back to our CO/butter combo. The extreme jock itch returned. So, sadly, we've decided to eliminate the CO. Again, the jock itch morphed into a minor problem.

Just mentioning this in case it might apply to anybody else. And thank you to whoever brought up their bad reaction to coconut oil.

O

oldfriend

Try low-fat. I notice my jock itch gets worse on high fat.

Jon

Coconut oil if not refined has done allergens in it that others complain of. I've felt a some what itchy skin from fractionated coconut oil when using it as a tanning oil before.

InChristAlone

Some say coconut is too yin, so maybe causing a damp like condition that favors yeast overgrowth, that's all I can think of. I don't necessarily agree with yin and yang foods.

OP
B

Birdie

So, my husband has decided he is sensitive to coconut oil. He's reintroduced it a couple of times and his whole body begins to itch. We stop the CO and the itch goes way down to what he calls just a slight itch. It was extreme in the scrotum, but that's hugely relieved when we stop the CO. He does seem fine with a little bit of it in food such as potato chips.

OP
B

Birdie

He doesn't think it's jock itch, rather a reaction to coconut oil.

@Jon
Just to be more specific, we've used the refined since 2011. We began following Peat's advice that year.

ilikecats

all coconut oil is not created equal... even if its the refined kind ray recommends I've seen so much variation in quality, taste color and effects between different brands of coconut oil. I bet if he found a really high quality refined coconut oil he wouldn't have those issues. Coconut oil should really help relieve those types of issues. But of course maybe not! Everyones different I guess

OP
B

Birdie

all coconut oil is not created equal... even if its the refined kind ray recommends I've seen so much variation in quality, taste color and effects between different brands of coconut oil. I bet if he found a really high quality refined coconut oil he wouldn't have those issues. Coconut oil should really help relieve those types of issues. But of course maybe not! Everyones different I guess
I agree with this. A while back (2012 ?) we all sorted through the coconut oils, and, as you say lots of brands and different tastes etc.

Anyway, he's just too glad the itch has resolved and he will use CO occasionally. We'll just let go of that part of the program for now!

Catcream

Thank you Birdie .
Perceive. Think. Act.
We can be inclined to dogmatism . This demonstrates an open mind and ability to adapt and learn.

Jon

He doesn't think it's jock itch, rather a reaction to coconut oil.

@Jon
Just to be more specific, we've used the refined since 2011. We began following Peat's advice that year.

Hmm. Is the oil you two use completely odorless and tasteless? I honestly can't remember where I read it but I think I recall reading that capric acid can be irritating to tissues.

Does he have any sign of eczema or dry skin anywhere else?

As this has been a topic of much debate lately I'm just gonna say by no means am I telling anyone to eat large amounts of PUFA and I do believe ALA is the essential omega NOT preformed DHA. That being said, if he's having dry itchy skin, it MIGHT be he's rather deficient in EFA's, specifically ALA.

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/know-your-fats/precious-yet-perilous/

This article highlights how efa deficiency when very deplete will cause eczema. A looooonnngg read but worth it lol.

Does he eat whole eggs? Grassfed beef? Or grassfed dairy?

Again just one proposition, it could just be he has a coconut allergy lol.

OP
B

Birdie

Just a quick update on my husband's reaction to coconut oil. We decided to use a bit in cooking. I used a scant teaspoon with butter in cooking zucchini one day. Another day I used about a half teaspoon for cooking. Couple of days later he said he'd developed intense underarm itching. We've stopped the CO again....

Jon

@Birdie

Hmm. Is the oil you two use completely odorless and tasteless? I honestly can't remember where I read it but I think I recall reading that capric acid can be irritating to tissues.

Does he have any sign of eczema or dry skin anywhere else?

As this has been a topic of much debate lately I'm just gonna say by no means am I telling anyone to eat large amounts of PUFA and I do believe ALA is the essential omega NOT preformed DHA. That being said, if he's having dry itchy skin, it MIGHT be he's rather deficient in EFA's, specifically ALA.

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/know-your-fats/precious-yet-perilous/

This article highlights how efa deficiency when very deplete will cause eczema. A looooonnngg read but worth it lol.

Does he eat whole eggs? Grassfed beef? Or grassfed dairy?

Again just one proposition, it could just be he has a coconut allergy lol.

Dave Clark

Coconut is in the nut family, and there are quite a few people who are either sensitive or allergic to nuts. A friend of mine had this problem, could not eat coconut or coconut oil, got treated bio-energetically for that and now does fine with no problems eating coconut. Since coconut is high in caprylic and lauric acid, it is suppose to be anti-fungal. But if you are sensitive to it, it will most likely magnify any microbial issues by lowering your immune response.