A Case For Intermittent Fasting

I_am

I did IF before my Peat days, and it was great for weight loss for a few months. In fact, it was the only thing I found to work, before using Colpo's Fat Loss Bible plan and a Fitbit. I did seem to run into some problems in the winter, and blamed IF, but looking back now, I'm not so sure. I was doing LOT'S of crazy things by that point, and I found out I was really high in iron, too.

I'm thinking of giving it a go, with a more "Peaty" approach (including plenty of carbs in the eating window). The more I've looked, the more that something like a 14-24 fast or so seems compatible with a lot of Peat's ideas, ASSUMING you're in pretty good health.

Yep, I agree that intermittent fasting is VERY effective for fat loss, as well as excess water. I am also back to doing this not so much for weight loss but I now feel it's the only way I can function at my highest preferred level mentally, emotionally and physically. For the eating window, Peat principals are applied and it appears to be perfect for myself and life.

Granted, I consider myself a "skinny fat" person, so I have plenty of stores to get me by on my fast days. Although, I'm probably not using much of it since you really won't tap into your stores (depending on activity level, metabolism, etc) until day 3 (as I understand, could be wrong) or after and I am doing a 3 off and 6 on approach. I am not doing just water on the 3 off, but rather OJ, occasional raw milk, water, coconut oil coffee, and some fresh juiced juice.

Still exercising such as weight training, and calisthenics with moderate walking.

Gl;itch.e

u would gain weight
don't eat so much then ;p It'll be the fat eaten along side the carbs that is causing the weight gain unless you are going WAY overboard on calories out of nowhere. Any quick weight gain from carbs is going to be water/glycogen if you were low carbing previously.

don't eat so much then ;p It'll be the fat eaten along side the carbs that is causing the weight gain unless you are going WAY overboard on calories out of nowhere. Any quick weight gain from carbs is going to be water/glycogen if you were low carbing previously.

true.. there is a lot of water retention, probably from losing magnesium because no thyroid to keep it in place

i unfortunately gained a lot of weight from having no DHT from finasteride. do you have any tips for weight lifting in regards to peating? do you drink a bunch of sugar and protein pre workout to ensure your thyroid stays up in the workout? and then eat immediately after?

i'm going to start weight lifting tomorrow morning. my gut is too out of control now. i tried not doing much exercise, but it is not working in my favor. i got ripped up like 4 yrs ago, like really ripped, i can do it again if i want to, but i am just getting fat now. i need to end it. i'm not going to become a fat boy. although i almost have. lol. but i have no problem hitting the gym, just have not been doing it to avoid thyroid disruption.

tankasnowgod

ur glyogen stores will take care of u for the short term.... how long this lasts tho.... depends how long u keep it going

Um, about 14-17 hours. And there is nothing that says you can't eat carbs during the eating window. Which would, of course, refill glycogen stores.

Gl;itch.e

i unfortunately gained a lot of weight from having no DHT from finasteride. do you have any tips for weight lifting in regards to peating? do you drink a bunch of sugar and protein pre workout to ensure your thyroid stays up in the workout? and then eat immediately after?
I just eat my normal meals throughout the day and take a drink with me while I train. I just do a bit of sugar, glucose, salt, glycine and BCAA's.

true.. there is a lot of water retention, probably from losing magnesium because no thyroid to keep it in place
Counter that by making sure you get enough salt. This part of Peat was the biggest game changer for me. With fasting Id just make sure to salt the hell out of any drinks/coffee I have. Peat has said adequate mineral intake spares muscle loss.

Um, about 14-17 hours. And there is nothing that says you can't eat carbs during the eating window. Which would, of course, refill glycogen stores.

yeah 14-17 hrs with good thyroid function and progesterone production and low stress. the guy who made the thread was saying something about fasting like 21 days straight. it's great when you are in your 20s and 30s, good luck with that when you hit your 40s and 50s and beyond, or if you keep doing it... i don't really see pushing stress as a good thing in general.

I just eat my normal meals throughout the day and take a drink with me while I train. I just do a bit of sugar, glucose, salt, glycine and BCAA's.

Counter that by making sure you get enough salt. This part of Peat was the biggest game changer for me. With fasting Id just make sure to salt the hell out of any drinks/coffee I have. Peat has said adequate mineral intake spares muscle loss.

cool thx. yeah i utilize salt a lot. calcium seemed to be a big game changer for me recently. specifically egg shell 3x a day. i'm going to hit the gym early tomorrow morning and take a drink with me too. i'll see how it goes.

sladerunner69

yeah 14-17 hrs with good thyroid function and progesterone production and low stress. the guy who made the thread was saying something about fasting like 21 days straight. it's great when you are in your 20s and 30s, good luck with that when you hit your 40s and 50s and beyond, or if you keep doing it... i don't really see pushing stress as a good thing in general.

cool thx. yeah i utilize salt a lot. calcium seemed to be a big game changer for me recently. specifically egg shell 3x a day. i'm going to hit the gym early tomorrow morning and take a drink with me too. i'll see how it goes.

Fasting for even a day can seriously screw up your metabolism- plenty of horror stories around this forum to corroborate that

superhuman

I know it's not really fasting which is why it said that above.

Be specific. You did 21 days of water only? Lemon juice or anything with calories does not get a pass.

There are different circles of "fasting" people.

Mhm 21 days and 2/3 of it was dry so no water. I did 2 days dry fasting then 1 day with water then 2 days dry etc ec. Ive also done many others of 14-18 days of water only fasts.

Sure but i have never heard of any of the water fasting circles talk about increasing their pulse,temp and metabolic rate ever. Ive read most of the old literature.

zztr

ITT cortisol apologists

Cortisol needs no apologies. Lack of cortisol is Addison's disease, no?

Some people here seem to think it'd be best if we were all constantly on a glucose drip feed. Seems to me more likely we're built to cycle between somewhat anabolic and catabolic states, just as with rest and alertness.

Cortisol needs no apologies. Lack of cortisol is Addison's disease, no?

Yeah and presence of cortisol is all the other diseases :ss2 Cortisol needs no apologies and much less does it need encouragement.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals