A Cancer Therapy By Max Gerson - Selected Parts

jzeno

@Amazoniac @burtlancast

Can anyone explain the reason for the number of enemas? I've heard several per day is part of Gerson's protocol. What is the reason for this? Why wouldn't just one every now and again do just fine? It seems excessive, but I'm not Gerson. Perhaps this is a product of trial and error with his patients, like the diet.

Is this explained in his or his daughter's book(s)?

Edit: I think I found out the reason why--

The History and Benefits of Coffee Enemas

"Every cell of blood in the body passes through the liver every three minutes. Retaining the coffee solution for 12-15 minutes each time a coffee enema is used is essential to gain the full benefit of the dialysis that occurs. Coffee enemas are more of a preventative care practice then a medical procedure these days and help you maintain a healthy liver through detoxification. They have many different positive effects on the body, such as the following:"

Last edited:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

@Amazoniac @burtlancast

Can anyone explain the reason for the number of enemas? I've heard several per day is part of Gerson's protocol. What is the reason for this? Why wouldn't just one every now and again do just fine? It seems excessive, but I'm not Gerson. Perhaps this is a product of trial and error with his patients, like the diet.

Edit: I think I found out the reason why--

The History and Benefits of Coffee Enemas

"Every cell of blood in the body passes through the liver every three minutes. Retaining the coffee solution for 12-15 minutes each time a coffee enema is used is essential to gain the full benefit of the dialysis that occurs. Coffee enemas are more of a preventative care practice then a medical procedure these days and help you maintain a healthy liver through detoxification. They have many different positive effects on the body, such as the following:"
- A Cancer Therapy By Max Gerson - Selected Parts (page 154)
- To Haidut : What Do You Usually Eat In A Day?

But also:
- Principles Of Human Physiology (1920) [The Nature of Man, pg. 70 (99/347); Prolongation of Life - Optimistic studies, pg. 59 (91/388) @Waremu]

burtlancast

@Amazoniac @burtlancast

"

It's because the Gerson therapy causes cancer cells to die and the toxic debris are being transported to the liver by the blood for detoxification then excretion through kidneys and colon.

If the liver cannot detox quickly enough these debris, the patient dies of toxemia by liver failure and yet at the autopsy not a single cancer cell is found alive.

Cancer patients already have a damaged liver: so coffee enemas help the failing liver in his detox function. And the more damaged the liver, the more frequent the enemas.

But the juices have to be drank as well or the too frequent enemas will induce an electrolyte loss.

Mossy

Found a lecture by Max Gerson from 1978 with a Q&A at the end

The cure of advanced cancer by diet therapy: a summary of 30 years of clinical experimentation
Max Gerson, M.D., 1978

The cure of advanced cancer by diet therapy
This was an interesting read. In the almost 2 years since I’ve stumbled onto this forum, I’ve heard a lot about Gerson, but never looked into him. It’s inspiring to read his success stories, which has me consideting some of his recommendations, but so much is contrary to Peat. I’ll have to go back through this tread and the umpteen others that debate and weigh these things out.

nwo2012

Most of it is Peaty, the flaxseed oil apparently added by his daughter for financial gain. Some fake letter was used to justify its addition.

burtlancast

Most of it is Peaty, the flaxseed oil apparently added by his daughter for financial gain. Some fake letter was used to justify its addition.

This is Peat's take about it, as he wrote in one of his old newsletters that's been posted and debated here.

Yet we do know since 2010, thanks to a serendipitous discovery by Polish scientists, that flaxseed contains natural cannabinoid CBD able to fight cancer cells.
It also contains linmarin, a natural derivative of Vit B17.

So this explains why it could indeed fight cancer, although Charlotte, bless her soul, always claimed it was it's beneficial omega 3's.

Charlotte took to her grave a lot of errors and over the top statements about the reasons the therapy of her father worked ( she always claimed salt was a poison, and that cholesterol caused heart disease and diabetes) but she did the best she could, considering she never obtained a medical degree.

Last edited:

burtlancast

97 is quite an achievement

Mossy

Here are Gersonisms, taken from this source, that I interpret as significantly or completely non-Peaty. I realize that this is one article and that I need to delve deeper in Gerson's work to get a more well-rounded understanding, but most of these seem pretty straight-forward:

Calcium: "With calcium you can produce cancer. I was forced in three cases of hemophilia to give calcium to bring the blood to coagulate. I did it but the cancer regrew and I lost all three cases. No calcium, no magnesium, no other minerals. I tried it."​

Ice Cream and Coke: "The poor children get leukemias more and more. There is no country which has so much leukemia as this country (USA), no country in the world. That is our fault. Ice cream is made with invert sugar. Coca-Cola contains phosphoric acid. Is it surprising that children get degenerative disease?"

Salt: (1)"At first we give the patient the most salt-free diet possible.(12) So, as much salt (sodium) is removed from the body as can be. During the first days, 3 grams, 5 grams, up to 8 grams a day of sodium are eliminated while the patients receive only about one half gram of sodium content in the diet and no sodium is added. "
(2)"That depends on how far the liver can be restored. If it can be restored entirely, after say 1½ years, we tell the patients only to avoid fats and salt."​

Hormones*: "I can add to that, that more than 12 years ago now, there appeared an article by a professor in Chicago that cancer patients benefit from administration of sex hormones. I gave it first to three patients, then to five. They reacted well for the first two to three months. Then I gave it to 25 more. They all reacted well for three to four months but after five months they went downhill. I lost 25 of my best cancer cases. Only six I could save again. That was the disaster from the hormone treatment. "
* With my limited knowledge, I'm assuming that pregnenolone, progesterone, and DHEA fit this category either directly or indirectly.

Vitamin Bs, Vitamin D,
and Vitamin E: "With the vitamins we have a similar situation as we saw with the hormones. I damaged patients with vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin B and B6. Patients get really damaged. Vitamin A and D is picked up by the cancer cells immediately."

Coffee
(as a drink): "Coffee as a drink can be used by the patients only when they take the castor oil because coffee increases the motility of the stomach so the castor oil moves more quickly out of the stomach. But otherwise, coffee as a drink disturbs the function of the capillaries and therefore it has to be cut out. "

Iodine:
"The patients are given thyroid and Lugol solution (Lugol's solution is iodine plus potassium iodide)..."​

Any thoughts are welcome.

InChristAlone

Here are Gersonisms, taken from this source, that I interpret as significantly or completely non-Peaty. I realize that this is one article and that I need to delve deeper in Gerson's work to get a more well-rounded understanding, but most of these seem pretty straight-forward:

Calcium: "With calcium you can produce cancer. I was forced in three cases of hemophilia to give calcium to bring the blood to coagulate. I did it but the cancer regrew and I lost all three cases. No calcium, no magnesium, no other minerals. I tried it."​

Ice Cream and Coke: "The poor children get leukemias more and more. There is no country which has so much leukemia as this country (USA), no country in the world. That is our fault. Ice cream is made with invert sugar. Coca-Cola contains phosphoric acid. Is it surprising that children get degenerative disease?"

Salt: (1)"At first we give the patient the most salt-free diet possible.(12) So, as much salt (sodium) is removed from the body as can be. During the first days, 3 grams, 5 grams, up to 8 grams a day of sodium are eliminated while the patients receive only about one half gram of sodium content in the diet and no sodium is added. "
(2)"That depends on how far the liver can be restored. If it can be restored entirely, after say 1½ years, we tell the patients only to avoid fats and salt."​

Hormones*: "I can add to that, that more than 12 years ago now, there appeared an article by a professor in Chicago that cancer patients benefit from administration of sex hormones. I gave it first to three patients, then to five. They reacted well for the first two to three months. Then I gave it to 25 more. They all reacted well for three to four months but after five months they went downhill. I lost 25 of my best cancer cases. Only six I could save again. That was the disaster from the hormone treatment. "
* With my limited knowledge, I'm assuming that pregnenolone, progesterone, and DHEA fit this category either directly or indirectly.

Vitamin Bs, Vitamin D,
and Vitamin E: "With the vitamins we have a similar situation as we saw with the hormones. I damaged patients with vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin B and B6. Patients get really damaged. Vitamin A and D is picked up by the cancer cells immediately."

Coffee
(as a drink): "Coffee as a drink can be used by the patients only when they take the castor oil because coffee increases the motility of the stomach so the castor oil moves more quickly out of the stomach. But otherwise, coffee as a drink disturbs the function of the capillaries and therefore it has to be cut out. "

Iodine:
"The patients are given thyroid and Lugol solution (Lugol's solution is iodine plus potassium iodide)..."​

Wow that's a lot of contradictory statements. But they were working with very sick people and if they saw them get sicker adding just one thing, then that is a clinical study unfortunately no double blind placebo controlled.

Mossy

Wow that's a lot of contradictory statements. But they were working with very sick people and if they saw them get sicker adding just one thing, then that is a clinical study unfortunately no double blind placebo controlled.
Yes, I do think that is worth considering, and something that I did, that these were restrictions for the very sick, cancer patients. But, from what I gather, he would make these reccomendations post cancer and for optimal health in general. I’m not drawing any conclusions at this point, just showing the differences between Getson and Peat.

jzeno

Look how spry she is at 89:

She's extremely sharp and full of energy. Very interesting!

nwo2012

Vitamin Bs, Vitamin D,

Coffee

Iodine:

It was nearly 9 years ago and a year before Peating that I last encountered it so I guess my memory cherry picked the Peaty parts such as NDT, liver (extract), coffee (regardless of it being enemas,).
I do remember some of the non-Peaty restrictive things such as no meat etc are only temporaty.

jzeno

@Mossy

>Gersonisms...

You have to remember--He was dealing with the sickest of the sick. He was not dealing with your average person. These people were in very specific, precarious situations. Gerson also said that if you gave them too much nutrition too quickly, that would kill them too. So, those excerpts are hardly applicable to most of us or the situations we are in and I wouldn't give them much weight, though some of his comments, I would be more likely to consider over Peat's considering Peat doesn't have a book full of cancer patients he has treated, although he is basically getting at something very similar--the fundamental cell health--that Gerson was able to practice fairly well.

jzeno

@Amazoniac

Citrus fruits are full of citric acid. This is probably another good reason that good OJ is recommended by both Gerson and Peat.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to supplement with extra Citric acid or if just eating ample citrus is sufficient.

In the studies, one girl took 5-7 g / day of citric acid.

"The concentrations of citric acid in citrus fruits range from 0.005 mol/L for oranges and grapefruits to 0.30 mol/L in lemons and limes."

-Citric acid - Wikipedia