A Call Out For Bamboo Shoots

I’ve been using bamboo shoots and cooked mushrooms. Basically I soak canned shoots and wash them off, chop mushrooms really finely, and then cook both together in a pressure cooker for about 45 minutes.

I eat about 1 cup of this each day. It has been very helpful for digestion. Like majorly helpful. I think this is going to become a long term habit because it just improves bowel movements so much.

I’ve been having 2 per day and no real digestive issues.

Some will say that the shoots are canned, there are bad stuff in them, and so forth. But I soak them, and then cook them, and nothing is perfect. What Dr. Peat has said is that the cellulose and antibiotic compounds in the shoots will gently push out a lot of gut bacteria and help reduce gut flora, plus probably soak up some bile and accompanying estrogen.

I have to say that this regimen has been very, very good for me and I can’t recommend it enough. I eat about a cup a day, and most of it is shoots and some is the well cooked mushrooms.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thank you for the report. I did a batch up in the crock pot yesterday. The carrot salad has been working pretty good but would like to get away from the carotene in it.

Inaut

I’ll try this as well. I walk past the shoots every week. Thanks hamster

Vinny

Havent tried shoots yet. Probably I should - carrot salad discontinued.

yerrag

Aside from its antibiotic properties, shoots are young bamboo - if you will, seedlings. Young bamboo are full of energy, as bamboo grow really fast. Some will grow at the rate of 3 feet/day in height.

I've learned that in making fertilizer from banana trunks, for its mineral content, banana trees that haven't borne fruit yet are used. It's because after bearing fruit, the trees starts to die, and therefore isn't full of energy anymore. This is similar to salmon, after spawning, which starts to deteriorate and degenerate after giving its energy to its eggs.

It's better to use fresh bamboo shoots to be cooked and eaten, but when unavailable, canned bamboo will do. But the flavor and texture will be different. Still, canned bamboo doesn't lose its crunchiness that much, I think. So, in terms of texture, not much is lost.

This is unlike artichokes. In making the rice dish paella valenciana or even artichoke dips, preserved artichokes could never measure up to the texture, flavor, and character that fresh artichokes bring to the paella or the dips.

accelerator

I’ve been using bamboo shoots and cooked mushrooms. Basically I soak canned shoots and wash them off, chop mushrooms really finely, and then cook both together in a pressure cooker for about 45 minutes.

I eat about 1 cup of this each day. It has been very helpful for digestion. Like majorly helpful. I think this is going to become a long term habit because it just improves bowel movements so much.

I’ve been having 2 per day and no real digestive issues.

Some will say that the shoots are canned, there are bad stuff in them, and so forth. But I soak them, and then cook them, and nothing is perfect. What Dr. Peat has said is that the cellulose and antibiotic compounds in the shoots will gently push out a lot of gut bacteria and help reduce gut flora, plus probably soak up some bile and accompanying estrogen.

I have to say that this regimen has been very, very good for me and I can’t recommend it enough. I eat about a cup a day, and most of it is shoots and some is the well cooked mushrooms.

How do you eat them? Just plain?

I can't seem to find many good recipes for them.

Last edited:

yerrag

How to you eat them? Just plain?
I can't seem to find many good recipes for them.
I like to eat it cooked with coconut milk, sauteed with chili and pork. Nice blend of flavors.

Marinate pork with sugar and salt (I prefer shredded or minced pork, not chunky, so it stays in doesn't steal the show from the bamboo shoots. Enough to add a pleasant texture).

Saute with red hot chili pepper (not the flakes, but the solid one).

Then add the coconut milk to boil. Then add the bamboo shoots (no liquid). Then simmer for 10 minutes.

You can add kaffer lime leaf and simmer 5 more minutes (with lid) to add flavor. Remove the leaf afterwards.

Just don't overcook the shoots as you don't want it to become soggy. Has to have crunch. Of course, canned bamboo shoots cannot beat fresh bamboo shoots, just like canned or bottled artichokes don't measure up to fresh artichokes when making paella, much less artichoke dips.

Last edited:

orewashin

I bought the canned ones but noticed that they add citric acid and don't line the can, so I tossed 'em. The acid definitely leeches the metal, so it's no good.

yerrag

Are there fresh bamboo shoots in the US?

Not. Just because there's no market for it the way there's a market for it for lettuce. Bamboos in the US seem to be just ornamental.

Try calling up Asian grocers, such as Chinese or Korean. I don't know if they're fresh produce though.

The reason it's canned is because it can't be frozen. The texture is gone.

yerrag

why did you stop eating them? i'm trying to decide btwn shoots and charcoal.
Very different in my experience how they work.

Bamboo shoots is a lifestyle thing. You benefit from regularly eating it. It doesn't have the instant effect of AC.

I only take AC when I have loose stools and diarrhea, although lately when I don't have a ghost wipe, one AC dose will bring back the ghost wipe.

But I don't really get to experience any immediate nor noticeable effect from eating cooked bamboo shoots or raw carrots. But others may feel differently, as I don't have noticeable gut problems.

Last edited:

papaya

Very different in my experience how they work.

Bamboo shoots is a lifestyle thing. You benefit from regularly eating it. It doesn't have the instant effect of AC.

I only take AC when I have loose stools and diarrhea, although lately when I don't have a ghost wipe, one AC dose will bring back the ghost wipe.
thank you, i think i'll try living the bamboo life & take ac maybe 1 or 2x a month.

Dave Clark

Does anyone have a source of bamboo shoots that are not canned? I am surprised that with all the concern for estrogen that people would want to eat out of cans that are full of xenoestrogens. I had read somewhere before that there was at least one study where they had a group eat canned food, and then another group that did not. After lab testing their blood and urine, the canned food group had high estrogen levels in both their blood and urine, where the non-can food group did not. Just wondering whether it is even worth eating these things out of a can, when the goal is to reduce estrogen.

yerrag

I wonder where Ray gets his bamboo shoots in the US. Maybe he has a source of fresh bamboo shoots. Either that, or he's having canned shoots.

OP
ecstatichamster
I think he's said canned.

I think they are fine if they are thoroughly washed and cooked.

I doubt there is much estrogen. The shoots aren't particularly acidic.

yerrag

I think he's said canned.

I think they are fine if they are thoroughly washed and cooked.

I doubt there is much estrogen. The shoots aren't particularly acidic.

Thanks. Haven't had them canned, thought I imagine they'd still be crunchy as American Chinese restaurants serving the hot and sour soup still have the crunch in the bamboo shoots in them. But in buying bamboo shoots in wet markets, I look for fresher bamboo shoots and could tell from the color if they're old already by the color. The texture and taste is a lot different when fresh. And when I refrigerate for later use, the bamboo shoots turn up soggy when cooked (as would be expected of most, or all, produce).