A Call Out For Bamboo Shoots

OP
ecstatichamster
Thanks. Haven't had them canned, thought I imagine they'd still be crunchy as American Chinese restaurants serving the hot and sour soup still have the crunch in the bamboo shoots in them. But in buying bamboo shoots in wet markets, I look for fresher bamboo shoots and could tell from the color if they're old already by the color. The texture and taste is a lot different when fresh. And when I refrigerate for later use, the bamboo shoots turn up soggy when cooked (as would be expected of most, or all, produce).

I cook them for a long, long time. 45 minutes in a pressure cooker, at least when I was eating them I did. I may try again.

Energizer

Asian markets usually have the vacuum sealed and canned varieties. The vacuum sealed ones tend to taste sweeter. Getting them local and fresh would be difficult to find in America. Not as much demand for freshness for those as there is in Asia.

Last edited:

lvysaur

I've learned that in making fertilizer from banana trunks, for its mineral content, banana trees that haven't borne fruit yet are used. It's because after bearing fruit, the trees starts to die, and therefore isn't full of energy anymore.
I've noticed this in spades baby broccoli/cauliflower, it furnishes me with a totally different energy than the adult one. Younger is almost always better, and there really is no such thing as a free lunch. I don't know if it's just a better mineral content, or if there's more wondrous stuff going on.

I slightly disagree with your opinion about the canned shoots. Fresh bamboo shoots (I mean actual fresh, not the ones that are preserved in glucono delta lactone in the plastic bags) are leagues better than canned. I've also had fresh artichokes vs. canned, and honestly the difference in bamboo feels more important, artichokes keep their flavor better when preserved. Maybe you're right about the texture part.

yerrag

I've noticed this in spades baby broccoli/cauliflower, it furnishes me with a totally different energy than the adult one. Younger is almost always better, and there really is no such thing as a free lunch. I don't know if it's just a better mineral content, or if there's more wondrous stuff going on.

I slightly disagree with your opinion about the canned shoots. Fresh bamboo shoots (I mean actual fresh, not the ones that are preserved in glucono delta lactone in the plastic bags) are leagues better than canned. I've also had fresh artichokes vs. canned, and honestly the difference in bamboo feels more important, artichokes keep their flavor better when preserved. Maybe you're right about the texture part.
Yes, fresh bamboo shoots are way better than canned ones.

Cheese liver

Do the bamboo shoot usually smell ? I have been trying them lately and honestly they taste like crap. Is that normal ?

yerrag

Do the bamboo shoot usually smell ? I have been trying them lately and honestly they taste like crap. Is that normal ?
If it's not fresh it will start to smell as it becomes darker and more soggy, except for canned ones.

But if it's fresh and you're new to it, it may taste like crap as you may not have acquired the taste for it. I only eat it cooked as a curry dish with pork and chili, but without the curry if you know what I mean. The fresher the coconut milk used, the better it tastes. But canned coconut milk doesn't spoil easily as usually it's got preservatives, as long as it's refrigerated after it's opened.

Last edited:

equipoise

I like bamboo shots (canned). I find they're definitely okay to throw in once in a vile, I react to them good.
However, I feel there's no need for them, as personally carrot salad is very potent and guarantees fast transit time - as long as I keep having it daily, which I do (before sleep). Mushrooms are also amazing. Mushrooms and carrots are personally more than enough for me.

Throwing in bamboo shoots in a meal with rice and minced beef, with some shrooms and grated cheese on top is amazing. The crunch is real!

Cheese liver

If it's not fresh it will start to smell as it becomes darker and more soggy, except for canned ones.

But if it's fresh and you're new to it, it may taste like crap as you may not have acquired the taste for it. I only eat it cooked as a curry dish with pork and chili, but without the curry if you know what I mean. The fresher the coconut milk used, the better it tastes. But canned coconut milk doesn't spoil easily as usually it's got preservatives, as long as it's refrigerated after it's opened.
Yes I do have them canned and they smell funky right out of the can that's why I was asking. And yes adding other substances might make it taste better but I just wanted to know its taste and smell as a standalone food.

Cheese liver

I like bamboo shots (canned). I find they're definitely okay to throw in once in a vile, I react to them good.
However, I feel there's no need for them, as personally carrot salad is very potent and guarantees fast transit time - as long as I keep having it daily, which I do (before sleep). Mushrooms are also amazing. Mushrooms and carrots are personally more than enough for me.

Throwing in bamboo shoots in a meal with rice and minced beef, with some shrooms and grated cheese on top is amazing. The crunch is real!
Yea mushrooms feel much better imo. Was wondering out of all the carrot salad , mushrooms and bamboo which would you say has the strongest endotoxin removal effect ?

yerrag

Yes I do have them canned and they smell funky right out of the can that's why I was asking. And yes adding other substances might make it taste better but I just wanted to know its taste and smell as a standalone food.
Maybe it just tastes funky because usually it is used as an ingredient and not eaten as a standalone food, especially when you're not used to it. Besides, it has to be cooked, as Ray Peat would suggest, unlike carrots.

equipoise

Yea mushrooms feel much better imo. Was wondering out of all the carrot salad , mushrooms and bamboo which would you say has the strongest endotoxin removal effect ?
I feel the carrot salad is the most balanced of them all. Mushrooms are strong, but boy if I have mushrooms few days in a row, the aromatase inhibition is real and I feel off, hard to explain. But they're such a quality protein that it's a real nice treat say twice a week with some cheese on top ala Danny Roddy.

But carrot salad, I could have one a day for the rest of my life, they feel really cleansing. Like their main effect in my experience is how they make me feel clean after bathroom. Really nice for forming proper ones and allowing them ghost wipes

Cheese liver

Maybe it just tastes funky because usually it is used as an ingredient and not eaten as a standalone food, especially when you're not used to it. Besides, it has to be cooked, as Ray Peat would suggest, unlike carrots.
Will implement based on your advice and will follow up from there.

P.S My utmost gratitude :hattip

yerrag

skuabird

I found a bunch of mushrooms reduced for sale at the grocery store and had a can of bamboo shoots. I'm giving hamster's pressure cooked combo a try.

My gut has not been the same since I went on vacation and ate deep fried starches. Ugh.

I’ve been using bamboo shoots and cooked mushrooms. Basically I soak canned shoots and wash them off, chop mushrooms really finely, and then cook both together in a pressure cooker for about 45 minutes.

I eat about 1 cup of this each day. It has been very helpful for digestion. Like majorly helpful. I think this is going to become a long term habit because it just improves bowel movements so much.

I’ve been having 2 per day and no real digestive issues.

Some will say that the shoots are canned, there are bad stuff in them, and so forth. But I soak them, and then cook them, and nothing is perfect. What Dr. Peat has said is that the cellulose and antibiotic compounds in the shoots will gently push out a lot of gut bacteria and help reduce gut flora, plus probably soak up some bile and accompanying estrogen.

I have to say that this regimen has been very, very good for me and I can’t recommend it enough. I eat about a cup a day, and most of it is shoots and some is the well cooked mushrooms.
I hadn't thought to soak them. I hate the taste right out of the can. So I will give your soak a whirl! Thanks!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals